Daughter of Christian Singer Chapman Killed

5/22/2008 7:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The five-year-old daughter of Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman was killed last night when a car apparently driven by one of her older brothers hit her in the Chapman family's driveway.

In what local police are calling a "terrible accident," Maria Chapman was playing in the driveway when she was struck by a Toyota Land Cruiser driven by one of Chapman's teenage sons. The police did not identify the driver, according to The Tennessean.

A statement on Chapman's website says, "Maria was rushed to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville, transported by LifeFlight, but died of her injuries there." Maria was the youngest of the Chapman's six children.

JANET GONZALEZ

MR. CHAPMAN I AM VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSE OF YOUR DAUGHTER. PLEASE TELL YOUR SON NOT TO BE SO HARD ON HIMSELF THIS WILL CAUSE HIM TO GO INTO A DEPRESSION AND YOU HAVE TO KEEP A CLOSE WATCH ON HIM. HE MIGHT TRY TO COMMIT SUICIDE. I HAD A FRIEND THAT HAPPENED THE SAME EXACT THING AND UNFORTUNATELY THEIR SON DID COMMIT SUICIDE THE HURT AND GUILT GOT TO HIM SO PLEASE KEEP A CLOSE WATCH ON HIM. YOUR LITTLE GIRL IS NOW SITTING ON JESUS CHRIST LAP. HE WAS THERE NEXT TO HER WHEN THIS HAPPENED. REMEMBER THAT JESUS CHRIST AND HIS FATHER CAN NOT GIVE YOU NOTHING THAT YOU CAN NOT HANDLE. THERE ARE ALWAY A REASON FOR THINGS THIS TRAGIC TO HAPPEN. MY SINCERE SYMPATHY FOR YOUR AND YOUR FAMILY. I WILL ADD YOUR NAME TO MY BIBLE STUDY PRAYER LIST.

Carlene Stafford

May God Bless and hold you in his prayers at this tragic time. Thoughts and prayers go out to your entire family. In faith, Carlene

daddio

I think Thirsty Thusday actually has a point. I am a Christian - but certainly dont claim to understand these type of tragedies and believe we - as Christians - do a disservice to God by acting as if we do understand and that "God was calling her home". However - where I differ with Thirsty thursday - is that it certainly is no reason to not believe that God and Christ are real. They are - I just dont become "superhuman" when I became a christian and i dont have all the answers to life and am not comfortable acting like i do. All i know is that life is jacked up----im jacked up---and need a savior and Jesus has been just that. He gives me purpose for living and makes sense of this world, but can we as christians explain this tragedy? no way....and we shoouldnt try...all we can do is pray for the comfort of the chapman family

Carmen 531

This story brought tears to my eyes.....This is sooooo sad ...
I know what it is the lost of a child I lost 2 my self in a terrible fire,
and they certainly will be in my heart forever.
I'll keep you in my prayers.
Believe it or not that child is one of God Angels,
and that's where she is right now, in Gods arms,like my 2 little ones.
RIP beautiful Maria!

jenjen

My deepest condolences to the entire family. They will be in my thoughts and prayers. Such a tragic loss.

Caring

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Chapman family. What a hard time for them!

God bless your family. May He comfort during this period of time.

Victoria

kathy of Houston Texas........I'm in Cypress........thanks for the info on 89.3.............(also originally from an even smaller town in Louisiana.)

Fellow Kentuckian and SCC Fan

As sorry and sad as some of these comments are... I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that SCC himself would pray for those of you who are taking time out of your day to hurt his family as they grieve. Just like Jesus, he would say, 'Forgive them, Father... for they know not what they do.'

My prayers are with Mary Beth and Steven and the kids as they grieve the loss of their beautiful little Maria.

TMZ, kudos to you for covering this story. You really surprised me here. Thank you.

Lynn

Biggy, your name says it all. I would add 'head' at the end. How shallow you are. This story is heart renching to say the least. My heart just sunk when I read this. May God embrace and comfort the grieving brother as well as the family and friends.

sjs

My thoughts and prayers are with the Chapman family. The horrible pain they must be feeling. I also pray selfishly asking that I never have to experience this.

edm

Steven played in concert at my church just recently, and he and his family seem like very genuine and caring people. May God be with them during this tragic time and for the rest of their days. Bless your little soul, Maria. RIP

pay atention

FIBIKER-- I just want you to know that if you gave God a chance he would reveal himself to you! This is a tragic loss however the comfort this family has is knowing that their baby is living an eternal life in heaven. Christians don't fear death! They miss the physical person on earth that has passed, but their comfort and peace comes from knowing that they will be together again in heaven. The Chapman's precious Maria is sitting with God at this moment! She will never feel pain, loss, fear or any of the sadness we feel on earth. She will have an eternal--never ending--life in heaven. Heaven is forever and so is hell! I pray that everyone reading this makes a decision as to which they want. Read John 3:16.

Here is an analogy: A baby lives in its mothers womb for nine months. It has everything it needs and would be very content just to stay there forever, but nature kicks in and this baby is born. Now, the baby would have been happy to stay in the womb but once it sees the outside world enjoys the love of its mother and all the things it has opportunity for the baby wouldn't want to go back and live in the dark "boring"womb forever!! This is what heaven is for Christians. If we had a real comprehension of the glory of heaven we wouldn't want to stay on this earth.

who cares

TO # 104 GO SUCK A LEMON
YOU ARE THE ONE MENTIONING THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED
PERHAPS BECAUSE YOU ARE

Marc & Carol Moore Resaca, Ga.

My heart was broken when I had heard the news. Our thoughts and prayer goes out to the family, this is a terrible accident, Keep the faith and hold on to God's unchanging hand, I know at this time is seems hopeless, but he will comfort you in the time of your loss.

who cares

TO # 104
GO SUCK A LEMON
NON MENTALLY CHALLENGED PEOPLE RIDE SHORT BUSES AS WELL, DID I HIT A NERVE BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN ASSIGNED SEAT ON THE SHORT BUS?