Daughter of Christian Singer Chapman Killed

5/22/2008 7:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The five-year-old daughter of Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman was killed last night when a car apparently driven by one of her older brothers hit her in the Chapman family's driveway.

In what local police are calling a "terrible accident," Maria Chapman was playing in the driveway when she was struck by a Toyota Land Cruiser driven by one of Chapman's teenage sons. The police did not identify the driver, according to The Tennessean.

A statement on Chapman's website says, "Maria was rushed to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville, transported by LifeFlight, but died of her injuries there." Maria was the youngest of the Chapman's six children.

Believer

My prayers go up for the Chapman family in this time of tragedy and especially for their son who will need to know he is loved and forgiven.

This is not the place for all the debate about if their is or is not a God. I happen to believe, but this is not the time or place to debate God's existence. This family needs to know people care and that they will get through this tragedy. Please take all the filth and debate to another site and let this family be loved.

I hope that the Chapman's will not read all these posts and that they will just trust in the God we believe in to pull them through this trial and make them stronger because of it.

Blessings, Believer

who cares

TO 136 AS A MATTER OF FACT YES I AM MENTALLY CHALLENGED DUE TO A BOUT WITH BRAIN CANCER A FEW YEARS AGO, I AM MENTALLY CHALLENGED, YOU NEED TO LOOK AT YOUR FAT ASS IN THE MIRROR BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT SOMEONE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT
SO GO SUCK THAT LEMON WITH YOUR BUDDY MIKE

Victoria

142. I can't understand how something so terrible like this could happen to him and his family when god is supposedly on his side, to the exclusion of all non-christians. According to christians, these things are only supposed to happen to non-believers. I just can't make sense of it.

Posted at 11:30AM on May 22nd 2008 by Matthew

******************************************************************************************************

Matthew - Christians do NOT beleive these things happen only to non-believers.

dust

HAhahaha. Stupid jesus freaks. Tax free SUV backed over a little girl.

Seriously

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What

I pray for the Chapman Family! When we wish bad things on people we are not doing what God wants from us. I will put them in my prayers. All you who are saying bad things about the Chapman family STOP! He is a man of God and that is it PLAIN and simple. He and his family love the Lord! God does not promise us and easy if he did there would not be people like those on this board. God is a loving God! He has is little girl in his arms now and forever. That is faith!! Without faith we have nothing!! That is what is wrong with our people today - do what feels good - don't answer to anyone! One day you will answer and I hope that today you will stop! The Chapman family does not need this today - they LOST THEIR BABY! Their son is going through his own hell! Please get a heart IF you can! At least for a day!

OCD

Many prayers to this family for faith, hope and healing.

johan

I have 3 children all under 5 and I can't fathom how this family must feel. This is absolutely horrifying and nearly makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know how you could recover from something like this.

Angel

I am so sorry to hear about this terrible accident. My prayers go out to the Chapman family, friends and love ones.

JRJ

another example that GOD is fake..

chincho

This is a very unfortunate accident, Imagine how that teen must feel after killing his sister...My thoughts and love to that family...

oL0

THAT IS HORRIBLE! I always .. always have my one eye on my kid all the time. There is parental intuition also. If my kid is playing in the driveway and know one of my sons was going to be driving down that driveway at any given point I'd yank my kid from the driveway and tell them to play somewhere else. He's an idiot parent, too separated from his children.

chelle

My heart breakes for the Chapman family. The loss of a child is tragic. I've been a fan of Mr. Chapman for a long time. Love, hope,inspiration radiates in his music. His love for God and love for people flows from his heart. My prayers go out to the whole family, especially his son. I pray God will heal your heart. The Grace of Christ Is upon you. TMZ I am suprised that you have posted this story, but I am thankful. Thankyou for your sensitivityfor this family. Steven Cutris Chapman is an inspiration to many people. May you all come to Know the love of Christ. (Check out his song Cinderella It is a very fitting song as well, Shows a fathers love for his daughter.) LOVE IN CHRIST,
Chelle

Garnerean

Well now he can write a song about how she's up in heaven with Jesus and make a ton of money.

Key

A beautiful family..who has done so much for this world...my heart and prayers go out to thm