Tim Russert Dies of a Heart Attack

6/13/2008 4:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NBC News' Tim Russert has died of a heart attack. He was 58.

He was working in NBC's Washington bureau today when he collapsed while recording voice overs.

DC Fire tells us the call came in at 1:41 PM ET. We're told they transported one adult male patient in cardiac arrest to Sibley Hospital where he died.

The "Meet the Press" host and author is survived by his wife, Maureen Orth -- a special correspondent for Vanity Fair -- and their adult son, Luke.

turtle276

This is a horrible tragedy. He was one of the finest political reporters ever. His combination of enthusiasm and sobriety was unique in his field. I was so looking forward to watching him on election night. Hopefully some like Chuck Todd will honor his legacy and break out the white board on November 4.

Woof

Happy to see no low-class death jokes this time, TMZ. Sorry to hear it, my condolences to his family.

Leela

Poster #2, that was pretty callous of you. People can die of heart attacks without ever once having abused their bodies. My cxondolences to this man's family and friends.

Well

Wow. horrible. Just horrible. My thoughts and prayers to the family. Very sad. Good man.

He's Boring now

Big Russ will miss you.

What a great Father, Catholic, Commentator, and Human Being. God Bless your Family Tim.

ReneeNW

So sad and what a shocker. He seemed like a really nice guy too. My condolences to his family and friends. Godspeed, Tim.

Leela

Oh shoot, bad time for a typo. I was so annoyed by #2's comment I misspelled condolences. Sorry about that.

Vicki in Canada

OMG - THIS IS VERY SAD AND SHOCKING TO HEAR - I DON'T SUPPOSE THAT IT'S JUST A RUMOR?
MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIS FAMILY. HE WAS A STRAIGHT UP SHOOTER - SOMEONE YOU COULD TRUST AND I ENJOYED WATCHING HIM ON TV.

Clare

What was it he always said? He would reveal if he was a Democrat or Republican if the Buffalo Bills won the Super bowl? We'll never know now!

James

I am not seeing reporting of this anywhere else.... even on MSNBC is this true? I am shocked

Mik

Friday the 13th ! I'm with you #1 ,RIP Mr Russert

Julia

He was such a good son to his father. Last year for fathers day I bought my Dad his book he wrote. Geez how sad.

Biff

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, screw this world.

BEve