Tim Russert Dies of a Heart Attack

6/13/2008 4:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NBC News' Tim Russert has died of a heart attack. He was 58.

He was working in NBC's Washington bureau today when he collapsed while recording voice overs.

DC Fire tells us the call came in at 1:41 PM ET. We're told they transported one adult male patient in cardiac arrest to Sibley Hospital where he died.

The "Meet the Press" host and author is survived by his wife, Maureen Orth -- a special correspondent for Vanity Fair -- and their adult son, Luke.

Janeq

Unbelievably sad. One of the most truly geniune people on tv. Likable, smart and witty. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and co-workers.

Papillons

This is the saddest news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. He will surely be missed by everyone.

DMLady

Meet the Press is/was the only thing i looked forward to on Sundays. deepest sympathy to his family and colleagues.

fussi

How is this a shock? The fat bastard was a walking heart attack for twenty years. Glad he's gone.
One less vote for Osama Hussein.

ANITA

I am just stunned about this. I am soooooooo heartbroken. Tim was an awesome journalist, a loving father and son, and I'm sure a devoted husband. He was absolutely one of the good guys. He invited us all into his life when he wrote Big Russ and Me and it was as much a view into his soul as it was into his dad's. I can't believe it. God bless Tim and his whole family. The November election just won't be the same without him and his dry erase board!!!!!

GoHillary

I am sorry for his family that he is gone, but he was so unfair and completely biased towards Obama that he looked more like a campaign worker for BO than a real journalist.

Erika

This is a shock and a sad day for the journalistic community. Tim was an honest journalist in an age when honesty isn't as valued as it once was. He really was a good guy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and all his colleagues.

RReedy

He was a joy to watch and will be missed.....

Jill

My heart goes out to his family, friends and colleagues...this is truly shocking. I see him every single day on the today show and watch him on the weekends. How horribly sad. :(

corie

I AM SO SORRY TOHEAR THE NEWS, LIVING IN BUFFALO MYSELF HE WILL BE MISSED TERRIBLY
MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY.

bree

this is a tragedy. very unexpected, considering his age, but these things can happen to anyone i guess. and if you haven't heard of him that's because he's a journalist and newscaster, he's definitely not someone who would normally be featured on this website. therefore lots of people who enjoy this site may not have heard of him. but he will definitely be missed in the news world. my thoughts and prayers are with those who loved him.

Liz

So very sad.........................local ABC news is saying he collapsed and CPR could not revive him!!! RIP Tim!

mrs. jones

A true loss to political journalism--he was always so well-read, fair and asked intelligent questions. I wonder if the plane trip caused a clot somewhere that blocked his heart. Flying, especially such a long trip, can bring on problems. Good that he had that time with his family, though, and good lasting memories. RIP.

Attractive?

I love Tim Russert. Condolences to his family. Too bad it was not the orange man Bulk Hogan.....

Fan Since 2007!!!

Mike beat me to the Bob Schiefer reference.

Now that Bob has retired there are no real journalists left with Tim's passing...