Luke Russert: I've Got Dad on My Side

6/16/2008 10:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Luke Russert appeared on the "Today" show this morning, just three days after his father's tragic death -- and told a hilarious -- and touching -- story about getting tatted up ... and his dad's curious reaction.

And just like his dad, Luke shared some sage advice on when to tell your folks about ink.

buffalogirl

I gave Luke a lot of credit for going on the Today Show this morning. He obviously has grown up with Matt Lauer around him and NBC and felt comfortable doing it. I'm sure he broke down the minute the camera went off. Some of you people are very cruel. He's obviously a lot like his Dad (and probably his Mom too!) and took a positive approach with the interview to tell everyone what a great Dad he had..

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

Whatever happened to mourning with quiet dignity amongst friends and family?

Why must every death be turned into an attention whore photo op? It's unseemly, at best.

I do hope the young man takes this death seriously and cleans up his own diet and lifestyle. He's much too young to have multiple chins.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

"When my dad passed away, we sat up all night and laughed about all of the funny things he had done through his life."

Don't you get it?

There's a huge difference between sharing stories within the family and whoring your stories out to the media.

One is sweet. The other is opportunistic.

carnella butler

To Wayne,

If you THINK for a moment, you will reliaze Luke is in shock. It's have sunk in that his dad is gone. I know from experience, I went it to shock when my father pass 16 years ago. I went i shopping. then hit me a few weeks later. Everybody different grieve at different times. Keep living! You have alot to learn.

NB- California

Sparky

The interview with Luke exemplifies the man he is. Well spoken, aware and grateful for the support he has been shown during this time of bereavement. Tim Russert was a very intelligent man . He did not go for the "knock down punch" in his interviews. He went for the truth. He will be greatly missed by many people. For those people who have written cruel comments about this interview, I can only surmise that you are truly clueless. Your comments are not funny or insightful. They are a sad commentary on some segments of society.

Im just sayin'...

go home and grieve:

no offense to the original poster's grandfather... but the general public probably doesnt care to hear the great stories about him because he was not famous or on TV every single day with a fan base. The public BECOMES an extended family of those who are celebrities - therefore it IS like sharing stories with the family when his son appears on TV to speak fondly of his dad.

If the President of the United States died, should we not put it on the news or talk about him? When people know and admire someone like they did Tim, it is pefectly acceptable to speak well of him in the forum he was most happy in himself - TV! Dont you think that when Meet the Press comes on TV and their chair is suddenly empty that people wont want to know what happened? Tim was not a "fame whore". That is the Heidi and Spencer's Paris Hilon's of the world. He was a news person who had a job in front of cameras. Get over yourself.

Nancy K Alanis

MSNBC and NBC are not the only news stations pained by the loss of a giant journalist filled with integrity, intelligence, morals, compassion, love of family and God. Our whole nation will feel the tragedy and pain in the months to come. Historically speaking, our country lost Tim Russert, the journalist who often put to the test with great zeal, those politicians who often misappropriate our hard earned tax dollars. God’s blessings always on the Russert family who helped support the shaping of a true American hero.

Susan

What a great kid! I have a feeling we'll being seeing Luke Russert in the future, probably working for NBC, not filling Tim Russert's shoes, but making his own way. I was struck at how he has that same easy going style that defined his Dad...the poise he showed this morning was remarkable. He really did his father proud...just like his Dad used to say - "I stood on my Dad's shoulders and now my son can stand on mine..." Tim Russert laid the ground work for his son to succeed even further than himself. What a great example and an inspiring life. He was not fame whoring this morning. People saying that are so stupid. I lost both my parents, and one of the overwhelming feelings you have after their death is to make sure you honor them. You want to talk about them and praise them to anyone who will listen. I for one wanted to hear what he had to say about his Dad - I loved Tim Russert on Meet the Press and on election night. I read his books. I wanted to hear from his son - and as a fan of such a beloved broadcaster, I was so proud of his son for him. Great job, Luke - can't wait to see you in the future!

ANITA

What a great kid!!!!!! In the face of the most tragic thing that has ever happened to him, Luke Russert displayed tremendous courage and strength. No wonder Tim was so very proud of this young man. Well done Tim and Maureen and Grandpa Russ for all of your support and the way you raised Luke. I thought we'd never have anyone like Tim again, but I was wrong, Luke will carry on the Russert tradition!!! Luke, can you help us out on election night??????

BOEING 787

The success, determination, and spirit of Luke is a reflection of the values gained from
his father and his grandfather. In his interview he reflected on the good times he had with
his father, he even talked about the more embarrassing situations he had with his father
such as when he told his dad that he had a tattoo on Christmas day. The brave and
courageous interview that he made in the face of his loss is certainly an example of his
character.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

"The public BECOMES an extended family of those who are celebrities - therefore it IS like sharing stories with the family when his son appears on TV to speak fondly of his dad"

Beep, wrong. The "public" (another word for morons) THINK and ASSUME that they are part of the extended family but truth be told, they aren't.

You know nothing about the man aside from what he wanted you to know.

That ain't family.

If you have family, you know this. If you don't have family, don't make the mistake of attaching yourself to people who won't remember your name five minutes from now.

Only an attention whore, or someone who is seeking a media job, would feel a need to support these silly public misconceptions at such a sad and sensitive time.

Im just sayin'...

Go home and grieve:

are you saying that ANYONE in media is an attention whore? Is it not remotely possible that there are people out there in the world who really care about journalism and the task of relating world stories to the public? Are you also saying that when someone who is admired by the masses dies it should not be spoken of or reported on TV? Since you seem to lack it, here is a little piece of education.... The definition of admirer:

(transitive verb)
To regard with pleasure, wonder, and approval.
To have a high opinion of; esteem or respect.

Tim had a LARGE group of admirers who respected him as a jounalist and care that he died. So how is sharing good memories of Tim, the man, with his admirers a bad thing? Each fan that he had across the country wont necessarily be able to come to a service to hear a eulogy so there is nothing wrong with his son sharing kind words about his dad with the fans.

Also, "extended family" is a figurative term - not literal. Just like the people I work with each day.... "extended family" describes people that see you day in and out and care about your well-being.

Final note - if it werent for these "attention whores" reporting the news, you wouldnt even know a thing about this event - but it seems that you do. So what does that make you? an "Attention John"? so much bitterness in the world....

Im just sayin'...

go home and grieve:

"And if stories about unknown grandfathers aren't interesting to others, please explain the appeal of the two books that Tim Russert wrote about the subject, mmmmmkay?"

a book written about your grandfather wouldnt sell nearly as many copies. See the difference now? Unknown. Known. Unknown. Known. If you are still lost, let me know.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

"are you saying that ANYONE in media is an attention whore?"

Did I type anything of the kind? Ummmm, no.

If you're too dumb to respond to what I have actually typed, it's best not to jump into the territory of ASSumption.

"forgot to address this part.... again, the fact that Tim is a CELEBRITY and has many FANS make the stories about his grandfather iteresting to people - therefore - makes a good book. F-A-N-S ..... they care...."

I already know you aren't reading my posts, now I know you don't read books either.

Tim Russert's first book, Big Russ & me, was about his father, not his grandfather. His father was an ordinary ie: not famous, man.

His second book, Wisdon of Our Fathers, was about OTHER people's fathers, ie: more ordinary men.

If you are over the age of 12 there really is no excuse for being so ignorant.

Im just sayin'...

go home and grieve:

exactly what you said: "Only an attention whore, or someone who is seeking a media job"

exactly what I replied: "are you saying that ANYONE in media is an attention whore?"

yes, I read your post - moron.

why are you so freaking bitter? You dont like his son giving a tribute to his father - change the channel! Better yet, get off the computer and go outside. Its a beautiful world out there (even with people like you in it).

p.s.
yes, I am over the age of 12. I am a 37 year old educated woman with a family and an executive job with a prominent company. What I am NOT is a hateful person who calls decent people (Tim and his son Luke) attention whores for no good reason. Get a life and let Tim's FANS enjoy a farewell the same way they enjoyed his jounalism.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments