Gunman Pops Off Near Johnny Depp Set

6/22/2008 10:23 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Johnny Depp's new gangster flick almost became a bit too real.

Chicago police tell us a juvenile was pinched for allegedly firing a weapon outside a car on the 1300 block of W 19th Street in Chicago around 12:30 AM on Friday. Sources say the location is close to the South Side set of "Public Enemies." The kid was charged with felony unlawful use of a weapon.

Depp arrived on set 30 minutes after the shooting, according to the Chicago Tribune.

A call to Depp's rep has not been returned.

Stooge1970

Wow. Real exciting story, TMZ.

Tim

What are they doing filming in the middle of the night?

Grace Under Pressure

Johnny Depp is the most beloved and popular actor of modern day..

Grace Under Pressure

I love Johnny Depp!

Lenn K.

The terrible thing about this story is a teenage with a gun. Where is his parents? Probably raised by a single mom who's just can't keep up this young guy..

Crabbie

Somebody shot a gun in Chicago? Stop the presses...

TMZhires13yearolds

Why would you try to contact Depp's rep? How would he figure into this? He wasn't there, he didn't fire the gun, he wasn't being fired at, I doubt it's his relative so what would you want to know from him?

pillseverywhere

Probably raised by a single mom? What an assanine thing to say.

Whatever

Post #2 - Why are they filming at night. Obviously you have never seen a movie before. I agree, where are the parents? I'm a single mother of 2 and I'm like the general in the lives. A juvenile on the streets after midnight. I'm sorry, but society blames everyone but the parents. We need to start placing blame where blame should be. Need to have stricter individual responsibility and being held accountable. We have more strict laws for pets than we do for children. You can be turned down to buy a dog, but can reproduce as much as possible. I don't want to hear its a person's right to reproduce. Lets be responsible people. Look at all the children that are in foster care now. Why because it was their parents right to reproduce. I KNOW I'M BEING INSENSITIVE AND HARSH BUT WE NEED TO WAKE UP FROM OUR LIBERAL WAYS AND GET A CLUE PEOPLE. Do you want this country to end up like other 3rd world countries because thats where we're heading. Stop and think about what you think your rights are and what you are entitled.

TMZhires13yearolds

To LIsa L: In third world countries children are ruled with an iron hand and guns are easily available. It sounds like you wouldn't have a problem with that.

Liz

I lived in Chicago for a year and the "south side" is not an area of town you really want to be in after dark unless, you live on the south side. A teenager shooting a gun off happens daily if not hourly!

Homephone

This happen right outside my window. What is really f 'd up is that the production crew took down all the stop signs on the street where they were filming and never put them back up so, today I saw two cars run into a building because of it. True story.

Tim

Can't they film after dark but before 12:30 am? Like 9:30 or 10:00?

KG

Perfect place for a shootut. 15 minutes of fame. OOOpppps, the 15 minutes are up. Let's not post anymore messages and feed the psychos ego. ARE WE IN AGREEMENT??

KG

#11. Lived here my whole life (41). Love it. Don't be quick to judge this city. Chicago is the BEST!!!!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments