Mormons Slam Calendar's Missionary Position

7/10/2008 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Who knew a bunch of shirtless Mormon hunks could lead to so much drama?! Don't get your magic underwear in a bunch!
Mormon Docs: Click to read
TMZ has obtained a letter sent to Chad Hardy, the Mormon creator of the steamy Men on a Mission calendar, by the LDS church -- threatening disfellowship or excommunication for "conduct unbecoming a member." Coincidence? Chad thinks not.

Hot Mormons: Click to launchHardy tells TMZ he believes he's being targeted for the 12-monther -- but admits he doesn't attend church meetings or pay his tithing. He also believes his repentance will include closing up shop on the calendar, which he ain't ready to do. Save me Joseph Smith!

For their part the Church refuses to comment on the whole thing, "out of respect for the member himself."

We're guessing they won't like his next idea either -- Mormon Muffins: A Taste of Motherhood.

UPDATE: On July 13, Chad Hardy was officially excommunicated for "conduct unbecoming a member of the church."

darcy

I still want to know where the gold at!!!!! ????lol

Anita

A cult is generally defined as a group who are brainwashed to think alike, dress alike and give strict obedience to a leader's demands, who exploits them through nebulous promises of rewards and fears in an afterlife.

Mormons wear their cult clothing under their regular clothing, so the are not as easily identifiable as other cult memers. But they are a cult nevertheless.

The problem is that no one ever believes they are in a cult until the last 15 minutes - when they are forced to drink the Koolaid.

mouthofthesouth

Sad thing is (and I don't mean this in any derogatory way) Mr. Hardy's business partner is my former boss. Who happens to be Jewish. I find it terrible to profit off of one another's faith. Chad is taking the heat, but there are other people involved and I would be concerned with those not of that faith raking in the money.

I agree with Dobbie

Gadzuke, don't be afraid to think for yourself and make your own choices. It's YOUR life...no one else's. If you don't want to be a part of the Mormon religion then don't...and if your friends and family don't talk to you after that then they aren't really living the Mormon way are they...and that's to be accepting and kind to all regardless of if they are a member or not. All of my friends and family were fine with it when I left the church on my own accord because it wasn't what I believed in. But I didn't bash the religion either...it's offensive to bash what others believe especially to them. I just explained to them what aspects I didn't agree with and let them know that I wanted to look at other religions and they were very accepting of my decision and I grew up in an almost all Mormon town. I know you'll be able to explain things to them in a very gentle way that they will be able to understand and respect your decision.

CountryGirl

"This tells me one of two things. Either you are a liar or you aren't too bright. Or maybe both?"

Here we have one of the un-enlightened goody goody mormons. Tell me sweet cheeks, are you going to level 3 for the comment/rebuttal. I'll see you there... with my Starbucks and thong undies.

I am a Canadian grad student, formerly a member of the LDS church, and a much wiser human after leaving it. It is most defnitely a cult, because family and friends that still belong still won't talk to me because "I saw the light"

I truly hope for your sake you wake the hell up one day and start living your life to the fullest potential.... which will never happen as long as you are one of the sheep.

aaron

Why are so many "LDS" or "Mormon" peeps looking at the scandalous pictures of skin and sin on TMZ and making comments....is cruzing this site something you do when you are not playing bunko?

Darby

I used to live in SLC, believe me it is just that uptight there. To all of you Mormons who are saying that polygamy is no longer a part of your religion are not telling the whole truth. First of all, your church leaders said that unless you went to polygamy you would never enter the celestial heaven that you guys have. If the church also thinks that when you guys become gods of your own planets you will have multiple wives. It is the thing you all believe in but don't like to say to outsiders. SLC was the worst place I ever lived in my life. Instead of it being "Zion" it should be called- "Outer darkness".

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

"Feeling a little "Holier than thou" are we? You're not the first person to post on here claiming to be a disinterested observer with more than a little inside knowledge and an agenda to apologize for the church."

I'm not LDS. Never have been, never will be. That I know something about the church is a reflection of living in Utah as a Gentile as well as a testament to my ability to READ and RESEARCH. I am naturally intellectually curious. If something interests me or impacts me, I want to know more. I've even read the BOM (twice) and I'm not LDS. Imagine that!

You might consider doing some reading and research of your own. The subject doesn't matter, as long as you are expanding your brain and widening your knowledge base.

"Tell me again, why am I a "hater"?"

I may not be holier than thou but I am definitely smarter than thou and the proof is in the fact that I NEVER called you, or anyone else here, a "hater."

Don't believe me? Try rereading what I typed and posted.

Besides, I don't use low class/trailer trash words.

On second thought, perhaps I was hasty in recommending that you avail yourself of a self-directed education. Some people are more suited to manual labor that doesn't require any intellectual effort. Perhaps you are one of them.

It's nothing to be ashamed of, you can still contribute something to the world.

After all, somebody has to mow our lawns and pick our vegetables!

Yar

"To the idiot who says we are based on the occult or better yet that we make blood/death oaths-you are seriously demented! You cannot actually believe that and be a sane member of society!"

You're either a liar or incredibly naive. Death oaths were performed until 1990. The rituals are based on Masonic rites which have *ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANCIENT HISTORY*.

Yar

"Eliza once again you don't know your facts either. The Morman church has had an incline in members for years. They are currently over 13 million members."

No they don't. They keep you on their roles until you are 110 years old, confirmed dead, or formally resign. Estimates going off of the church's own requirements to establish new stakes and the growth of stakes puts the number of active members at 3 to 4 million members. This is a church with a 1% retention rate in the countries it claims the biggest growth.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Busted up chairs

"Former mormon told me that the reason mormons don't smoke is because in the olden days, Joseph Smith and his friends would spit on the floors which pissed off his wife. True or not true"

This is absolutely true. He had the "revelation" to limit consumption after his wife flipped out over all the chaw on her floor. This did not stop Smith from drinking and smoking up until the very night he was assassinated. Brigham Young commanded saints to carry coffee across the plains and he even ran his own whiskey stills.

The church of today has absolutely no resemblance to the early church.

Media whores

When will people stop falling for this "trumped up" religion that was created by a mortal man who had an obvious mental illness? When will people wise up and see this for what it is?! I'm worried about a civilization who's people can latch onto the ideas of a man who had an obvious mental illness and who created a cult that preys on weak minded people (see scientology also). Have we not evolved enough to finally see this for what it is???
The origins and teachings of this organization have been fraught with bizarre elements and corruption since it's inception. That this group has even an ounce of power in this country is just plain frightening.

Busted up chairs

"I'll trust the bible. It was finished before the Book Of Mormon and it has not changed over the years. "

What? Even Biblical scholars of the most unshakable faith won't make this statement. The Bible has changed a multitude of times and even the most cursory view of it's history shows this. Please, please, please stop saying stuff like this.

Annabelle

This is just another attempt by the Mormon leaders to relinquish the free agency of church members. I was a member of this church, and it was a stifling experience. We were told what to do, when to do it and how much to do it. More than anything, we were told what not to do. We were strongly discouraged from looking outside the church for any information relating to our history or doctrine. It was always represented as the work of evildoers trying to shake our faith. What they didn't want us to know was how positively greedy and morally deficient the church's revered founder and his buddies really were. Joseph Smith had dozens of wives -- dozens! When a church member tries to tell you that polygamy is not practiced by the Mormons of today, be sure to ask them what happens when they get to the next life (eternity.) LDS principles do believe in polygamy, not in this life because of political ramifications, but after death...let's just say it's very much part of "God's plan". That, among many other inconsistencies uncovered during my outside research, is the reason I'm no longer a member. This church is extremely controlling and anyone who claims to be happy in it has more than likely been conditioned to believe that way. Or, they have been kept adequalty sheltered from the truth.

mandy

Seriously, people are so naive! I have read through so many of these ridiculous posts. There are a lot of truths but then some of you are so in the clouds!

Your church, work, friends, family of friends won't HATE YOU because you don't want to be a member. I haven't been to church in 5 years and still have all my friends. Their family members all still adore me. AND the church would love to have me back! GET REAL!

NO, we don't have multiple wives. Get real and educate yourself, only then should you open your mouth!

This site if fine for LDS member, non-members, any Christian or those who claim there is no god. GET REAL!

This guy that has the calendar. Good for him, he's an Entrepreneur. Should he be an active member of the church.... that is completely up to him. Obviously if he is doing something to put his membership in jeopardy, NOWINGLY I might add, he doesn't really want to be a member anyway. That was his choice. He knew full well he was pushing the envelope. If he truly cared TMZ wouldn't have a copy of his very personal note anyway.

Who wouldn't do well with food storage? DUH, had no idea that bothered people.

FYI, I have been to plenty of other churches that say "they are the true church". BUT, they have also gone on and on about how Mormons aren't christians. I have never heard that preached in any mormon church. ALL religions think they are "the one". All religions have people in them that think they are "better" than everyone else. All religions say not to judge but have members that do. LDS is just under the spot light. Get over it.

I think its a cult to stand up, hold hands, hug the stranger standing next to you, just because Catholism isn't for me, doesn't mean I bag it.
That, lay your hands on my head and heal me... so strange to me and NOT for me, but I don't sit and put down evangelicals.

Get over it already.