Barbies to Bratz -- You're Ours Now!

7/18/2008 5:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barbies and Bratz both came from the same baby daddy -- so says a jury -- and that could mean a lot of scratch for Barbie's parent Mattel.

A federal jury ruled yesterday that the guy who designed Bratz actually came up with the idea for the uncomfortably skanky dolls when he was working for Mattel. As a result, MGA Entertainment, who manufactures the dolls, might have to pony up big time to Mattel -- Bratz makes over $500 mil a year, according to some estimates.

The Bratz suits say the guy was actually in between gigs at Mattel when he came up with the risque idea. Damages have yet to be determined.

5 cent

Wow! No more dolls that look like teenage hookers! If that stupid Bratz movie didn't kill them, maybe this will.

Fred

I love these big corporations. They "protect their interests" by having you sign away your creative rights. Some of them (such as the slime-bag company I used to work for) even try to make it binding even after you stop working for them. So if you're an artist or designer, don't sign squat! People are always on here whining about people looking for handouts. I guess nobody has a problem with a billion-dollar company looking for a free handout. How much R&D did they spend on it, how much marketing, manufacturing, etc????? So what (other than a little piece of paper) makes them deserving of half the profits?

scissor madness

That is a crock decision. Bratz and Barbie, I never made a connection between the two. Gee, I read a book at work and had an idea for a novel of my own. Does that mean my employer owns it too?

LA CABBALLOTA IVY QEEN

I am a beautiful brown latina ...and these nasty looking bratz look nothing like me, "la caballota" but anyways.... I dont dress like a huchi! and barbie standrads of a small waist is not my cut of tea .

LA CABBALLOTA IVY QEEN

DS

Oh, so it WAS a guy that designed the BRATZ dolls! Now, I'm not one of those uber-feminazis, but puh-leez! A GUY creating his standard of "cute" and "pretty" and selling it to impressionable little girls. What a vicious cycle!

Hey, Moms...don't buy BRATZ for your girls ($500 mil? DAY-UM!) and then go blame TV and the internet for teaching your daughters to dress and act like SLUTZ. 'Cuz, baby, that's aaaaall you.

Alison

What's the deal... original ideas are illegal when you're working for someone? I don't get it. He didn't STEAL the idea from Mattel, did he?

Twinker

Can't even sell one Bratz doll in a garage sale. Barbies Rule!

Mayu

yeah. I never saw a Bratz doll and said "Gee that looks like a barbie."

In fact, there are more minority Bratz dolls than barbie dolls.

Matel is just pissed cause kids like Bratz better and Barbies are starting to show their age. none of my neices ever ask for Barbies for Christmas or birthdays. They always ask for Bratz kids, Bratz Babies, Bratz accessories. When I asked if they wanted a Fairytopia barbie for their birthday, they looked at me as if I was speaking some alien language.

Bratz Vs Barbie

I used to love Bratz, I liked their clothes and was inspired to become a fashion designer because of it. I now think that these dolls are a bit too.... well, they send the wrong message. They make girls think they've got to look like these dolls, or else they aren't pretty. That is wrong. But Barbie isn't much better.

jojo

fricking greedy mattel!

dissillusioned

Typical Mattel. If they just stopped suing everyone, and took a little more quality control effort (lead and China recalls), they wouldn't be carving such a reputation. If they wanted to make the Bratz dolls they had the resources to do so. Just because someone else got off there duff and did does not mean that they get to take credit for it. It is not the competition's goods that put other companies out of business...it is the legal circus. Mattel is a ringmaster there. They know how to sue the little guys until all their capital is gone and makes them close their doors. Mattel forgets that it is peoples jobs on the line. Way to go Capitalism! If a little guy does come up with something innovative and does not patent it, or copyright it properly...the big guys come in and blow them out of the water anyway! Mass production killed the craftsmanship of everything anyway! Bahhhh...you sheep...bahhh

chris

Just because he worked at Mattel and invsioned a slutty doll that looks like a Hooker called Bratz. Does not mean that Barbie should get any money. I mean Barbie doesn't look like a Hooker! She looks like an over made up primadonna princess with fake boobs! Like alot of socialite moms and daughters. Anorexic and or bulimic with fake boobs and fake tan and fake blondehair! Can anyone argue with that? Barbie is just jealous because their a thing of the past!

harvey murray glatman

i'd rather have the
blow up doll version.....

who cares

Do you know what those freaking dolls need to make this freaking news more exciting? Freaking "Ken" or "GI Joe" to puck them all

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments