Cash, Money, Moms: Why Bale Was Busted

7/23/2008 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Christian BaleSources tell TMZ Christian Bale has had a long-standing difficult relationship with his mom and Bale's camp believes the motivation for the whole assault charge may be $$$.

We're told when Christian's mom and dad divorced nearly two decades ago, his mom forced him to choose between the two. Christian picked his dad, and father and son moved out to L.A. in 1992, where his dad became his manager.

Somehow Bale's relationship with the mom has been "bitter" ever since. Bale has told friends his mother was extremely jealous of both his and his dad's success.

Last Sunday, Bale let his mom and sis into his hotel suite, though it was by no means an olive branch. As we first reported, there was physical contact, but somewhere in between a push and a brush. No one fell and no one was hurt.

Christian's camp thinks this could be nothing more than a shakedown. We're told some newspapers and mags have already been throwing around "insane" amounts of money for the story, so mom and sis could score big.

But our sources say the cops are starting to see the whole thing Christian's way, and the charges could disappear faster than Batman.

kathy

well if Christins mom FORCED him chose between her or his dad and she was jeluse of them,she had it comming!! And the hole money thing thats just stupid. Another thing his mom and sis just wannted to make news!! I bet now she wished Christin chose her insted of his dad! As the joker woild say HA HA HA HA

Este

Regarding no 1's comments: if a son shouldn't yell at his mother, a mother shouldn't take out her personal issues on her son by making him choose between his parents. She told him to choose back in the 90s & he chose wisely it seems. Since she forced him to choose, what right does she have to shake him down for money decades later? My ultimate point is that honor & respect are a 2 way street & that parenthood doesn't give one the right to verbally abuse your child or their spouse & then press charges for verbal assault when you stirred the pot to begin with. Sorry to say but alot of woman do that & it's cowardly and wrong. Dont' start what you can't finish. Look, lots of families get into heated verbal arguments w/shoving involved. It take some kind of mother to press charges for verbal assault on the eve of their son's biggest success but yet again money brings out the worst in people. This was a mean, hard-core shake down but then this woman showed her true stripes when she made her son choose to begin with.

majortom

I think what everyone is failing to mention is that the charges filed against him were Verbal Assault Charges, as Verbal Assault is a punishable crime in England. I think all the punishment is is a little bit of community service though; nothing too drastic.

Slaappy

Negative press and not to mention a hour talking to the Police that not even get you money for a quim trim...

briana

dood hes hottt. && i love batman.

Lexar

Momma Bale was a professional clown...for real.....constantly on the road. I think she and her daughter thought Christian would be their pension.

Lexar

Remember Momma Bale was a professional clown...always on the road. Christian chose to live with Dad when the divorce happened. I think Mamma and sis thought that with Christian's success, they deserved to use him as their pension plan.

marge

Hello?

Why do people believe these unsubstantiated gossip stories? Who says they're true... Perez Hilton? TMZ? The Sun? Anonymous sources?

This is gossip folks, and everyone should be skeptical.

Movieye

Bale fans should calm the f*ck down. This guy allegedly assaulted his mom and sister over a family dispute. If he wasn't a celeb, no one should be defending these kinds of actions. I believe his stepmom, Gloria Steinem, might have an opinion about violence against women. Bale has a well-known industry reputation for mistreating family and friends and co-stars. Just because the news is finally mainstream doesn't mean $hakedown. I'm surprised it's taken this long for his true colours to shine through. What a shame that a rich man (est at $50 million) would react so badly to help out an impoverished family member too support his godaughter/niece.

SuzieQ

I am in no way near these people in assets but I invested my money wisely and can be considered wealthy. After my dad died I was contacted by this brother and sister who stated my father was also their father. They were his other family, the one no one knew about. I have no reason not to beleive them because they look like our side of the family. The reason they contacted me was because they saw me on the local news in Florida donating a large sum of money to a children's organization. They assumed the money was from my father's estate and was trying to get their fair share. Suffice to say they were disappointed to find out my dad died penniless and I covered his debt because I did not want him to ruin our family's name. Doing my own investigation I found out my dad paid child support to their mother for all those years so they got what was coming to them. It was obvious they were not sincere and only wanted money from me as they literally lived in a trailer park and drove a 1979 car. When I made it clear I would not be having any relationship with them or giving them any cash they went down to the police station and the female filed charges against me saying I had struck her daughter. The daughter came to the house when I was away and my staff let her in. They tried to get me arrested and said they would drop charges if I gave them each fifty thousand. Thank God the district attorney did not charge me because he was able to see through their scam. Money sometimes bring out the worst in humans. I hope Christian's so called family get whats coming to them. I totally beleive him,

Jael

I hate how parents act as if we owe them something. I'm sure he didn't ask to be brought into this world and now that he's successful instead of being grateful she's all bitter and resentful. I'm glad it's getting cleared up because he doesn't deserve this kind of negative publicity. If I was him, I would forgive my mother but not talk to her until she gets her act together. No one needs that negativity in their life even from their relatives.

Lucky

I was lucky enough to see Christian in Chicago a couple of years ago. I had my son with me, and I was extremely nervous to approach him. I whispered to my young son that that was Batman and pointed, and Christian waved and came over. He talked to an awestruck 8 year old for a while (my son hasn't seen the movies, but obviously knows the francise) for a few minutes and signed his lunchbox, and ultimately I got up the nerve to ask him to sign an autograph for me. He was so kind and actually seemed rather shy, but by far, was one of the kindest people I have ever had the chance to meet.

dee dee

I REALLY ADMIRE CHRISTIAN BALE. HIS ACTING, SINCE A CHILD, IS OUTSTANDING.

I DON'T KNOW IF HE HIT HIS MOM OR SISTER. IF HE GOT ANGRY AND SHOUTED WE ALL DO THAT.

ONE COMMENT STATED THAT WE OWE EVERYTHING TO OUR PARENTS. I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS. THEY BROUGHT US INTO THE WORLD AND OWE US EVERYTHING. ON THAT NOTE, IF WE HAVE IT IN OUR HEARTS TO DO AND/OR GIVE TO OUR PARENTS THAT'S FINE. TO HONOR OUR FATHER AND MOTHER DOES NOT MEAN TO HAND OVER ANYTHING OR EVERYTHING. ESPECIALLY IF IT APPEARS THEY ARE NOT TRYING TO HELP THEMSELVES.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4