Novak Veers Too Far Right, Hits Pedestrian

7/23/2008 1:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Robert Novak, the really old dude who writes a syndicated column and is a talking head on all the cables, nailed a pedestrian in DC this AM in his black Corvette.

But wait, it gets a lot better. According to WJLA TV and Politico, Novak didn't even stop, reportedly saying, "I didn't know I hit him." He finally pulled over after pissed off witnesses started honking like crazy.

Novak, who hosted a show on CNN, was put in a police car but not arrested and finally cited for failing to yield.

Novak is known for being an aggressive driver, telling the Washington Post's Reliable Source column back in 2001, "I really hate jaywalkers. I despise them. Since I don't run the country, all I can do is yell at 'em. The other option is to run 'em over, but as a compassionate conservative, I would never do that."

The pedestrian, a man in his 60s, was taken to George Washington University Hospital with minor injuries.

pimp

Freakin idiot... in DC pedestrians have the right of way ALWAYS

Just call me trailer trash....

was the guy jay walking? maybe Novak was aiming for him

JennInDC

That is true, it's a law in DC to yield to all pedestrians. How can you not know you hit someone??? This guy is a world class a-hole.

patsy ramsey

RELAX PEOPLE, THIS GUY IS A FILTHY POLITICAIN LIKE LARRY CRAIG. THEREFORE HE ESCAPES ARREST AND YOUR 60 Y.O. INNOCENT DAD GETS RAPED. ANOTHER POLITICIAN ESCAPING RESPONSIBLITY.

Kay

He should be sentenced to drive a golf cart for a year. If the pollution doesn't get him, the cab drivers will.

JennInDC

Here's a link. Says pedestrian was "splayed across his windshield" and there was no way Novak couldn't have known. Uh huh. I hope the pedestrian sues the crap out of him!

Melissa

WTF!!! This guy is a total non-feeling A-hole!!

william richard bradford

first and foremost, driving is a
privilege, NOT a right in this country.

simplicity says that one can apply for a driver's
license at 16 and it SHOULD expires at 66;

end of story.

a person gets 50 years to do
their damage, so to speak.

as many folks up over 60 have had surgeries, on medication,
and/or are just plain slow , while senility starts creeping in........

OUTLAW

When you first got out the police car you said you did not know if it was a man or a women then when asked if the person was ok you sayed HE'S not dead HE'S in the hospital,some one is lying.

Chuck

How do accidents happen? Gee, I dunno... Maybe he accidentily hit someone and for some reason it felt like a normally encountered DC pothole. Who knows? We weren't there. If he wasn't sited for hitting someone and driving away it implies there's reason to believe he didn't know, or that no witnesses claimed it was anything other than a no-fault accident.

If I saw the guy driving towards me I'd stay out of his way, but until we know we don't know - ya know?

william richard bradford

" the pedestrian was a man in his 60's "

novak was just going out of his
way trying to sway the man's vote........

JaneaneTheAcerbicGoblin

Novak probably thought "Oh, I can hit anyone. I'll just say he was a liberal, and Bush will pardon me.".

Angry Democrat 'Sky Blu' from LMFAO attack GOP Romney on Purpose .

Novak is a Legimate Media Reporter , with not much of a political agenda. TMZ why do you Slander him.

operations

Other accounts show that the light was against Novak, the pedestrian was not jaywalking.

According to witnesses, Novak swerved the car to pitch the man off the hood.

Novak then left the scene.

He should have been cited for leaving the scene of an accident and hit-and-run. He sure tried.

Makes you wonder how much road kill he's left behind, doesn't it. He needs to trade the muscle-car-corvette in for a golf cart.

r

Novak is a columnist and yes, they do have opinions. However, he is a professional. You may not agree with his politics but he would not maliciously run someone down. I know everyone was kidding about that. Right? He's 77 with a busy work life and I believe he was so engrossed in the NPR zone that he zoned.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments