« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL's Merriman: It's Lights Out for Clothing Line

7/24/2008 1:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

All-Pro NFL linebacker Shawne "Lights Out" Merriman is not a man you want to make angry.
Read the docs
The 24-year-old San Diego Charger superstar is suing a clothing company called Lights Out Sportswear for trademark infringement.

Merriman claims he's been using the nickname "Lights Out" since his knocked a quarterback out cold during his sophomore year in high school -- almost ten years ago. He launched an apparel line with that name back in 2002 and trademarked the name back in 2007.

Merriman is asking for damages, the "destruction or elimination" of all of Lights Out Sportswear's products and advertising, as well as the forfeiture of their website domain.

Calls to Lights Out Sportswear were not immediately returned.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JD Money

First! Hi Stacey

the loser

guess i'm going to regular t's

ChargerGal

Do not mess with number 56!

jj

I cant stand crooks. He should ask the judge to also stipulate that the owners cease and desist from ever owning or running a business again.

James Toney

Apparently Merriman never heard of me, James "Lights Out" Toney

Charger Fan

Good for Shawne. He has a separate business and it just sounds like he is protecting what is his - happens all the time. The only difference is that he's a famous football player.

Charger Fan

To James Toney: If you branded a clothing line called "Lights Out" and took the time to register trademarks and do business as "Lights Out" separate and apart from your nickname, maybe you would have something to say here that means anything legally.

You were a good boxer though, no denial.

Sherri Lights Out

Do a web search on the words "Lights Out". Merriman has a lot more businesses he needs to look into suing since he has nothing else better to do.

GILL

I GUESS THEY WILL HAVE TO SEE WHAT NIKE HAS TO SAY ABOUT THAT!!! IF ANYTHING NIKE WILL TAKE MERRIMAN'S CONTRACT AWAY FOR ENDORSING HIS OWN CLOTHING LINE WHICH BY THE WAY IT DOESNT EXIST!!! 1 TSHIRT DOESNT CONSIST OF A FULL CLOTHING LINE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM! PEOPLE DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! HES JUST AND OVER PAID PLAYER HATING ON THE LITTLE GUYS!!!

GILL

TO CHARGER FAN!!! BUDDY DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SPEAK....HE HAS NO CLOTHING LINE!!! SO HE IS DOING THE INFRINGEMENT IF ANYTHING. YOU CAN TRADEMARK SOMETHING YOU CANT USE!!!

Atlanta Fighter

I saw a lights out shirts on a buddy of mine who fought in atlanta. I had no idea who Shawne is and he is not even in the MMA. I have never seen any lights out clothes before, does anyone know what Shawne clothes look like?

met

Proofread your damn article TMZ.

"Merriman claims he's been using the nickname "Lights Out" since HIS knocked a quarterback out cold during his sophomore year in high school -- almost ten years ago"

Shame on 56

I hope someone hits this primadona so hard during a game that he gets his "LIGHT'S OUT.

Paul from LA

Shawne has a clothing line? What is it? I have never seen anything in any stores or anywhere from him. I went to the lightsout website and there really isnt anything there. I found a boxing site called lights out. I have never heard of them either. I did find other websites with lights out on it, is he mad at all the other companies doing it too? There are a number of them. thanks Paul

Atlanta Fighter

Ok ok I went to the lights out website and the shirts look cool but what does this have to do with Shawne? He is NFL and this is MMA Fight stuff. If he doesn't make MMA clothing or any clothing why is he upset?

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments