"Last Lecture" Professor Has Died

7/25/2008 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carnegie Mellon professor turned "Last Lecture" Internet sensation Randy Pausch has died. He was 47.

Last September, Pausch's "Last Lecture" speech -- which was actually called "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" -- became a viral phenomenon and was even retold in its entirety on Oprah.

Pausch had been battling pancreatic cancer and passed away early this morning. He is survived by his wife and three children.

Tiffany

That's horrible, a truley good man.... He inspired me to do so much, as he did so many people. My heart breaks for his wife and kids.

carrie

How sad for his family. He was an inspiration and will live on in his kids. So sorry for their loss. Glad they have so much tape to watch and remember him, most do not. What a wonderful person we should all strive to appreciate life like he did. RIP

Kitty Angel

How sad! This man truly loved life and his family and I'm sure made the most of every moment he had after his diagnosis. Rest in peace Professor.

Jane

I'm reading the book right now. Very sad, but so inspirational.

Just Judy-

Oh What an AMAZING MAN! You will be missed by all!

tw

What a brave human being. Incredible guy. RIP

truthfully yours

God bless the family of this fine man, who has had such an effect on so many. Thank you TMZ for not making a sarcastic headline as you often do when a death occurs.

ValoHalo

As sad as it is when someones luckily he had time to reflect on his life and share that with us. If he could make that many people think about many things. God Bless REandy. Now you are suffering no longer.

April

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and families. He was a true inspiration to any one person that has or is currently diagnosed with any fatal illness. God Bless.

Lynn

He was such an inspiration. I so enjoyed reading "The Last Lecture". It made me realize how much I have to be thankful for (my health mainly!) and that if he wasn't feeling sorry for himself I certainly have no right to feel sorry for myself because of a few silly things like a sore shoulder and 20 lbs. to lose! What a man, what a legacy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. So sad...

Melanie

I am saddened to hear that this wonderful man has passed. He touched so many lives, including my own. I remember him on Oprah and how humble he was and how he didn't feel sorry for himself -- only wanted to send the message:

You can be a tigger or an eyeore when it comes to living life. I've always been the eyeore type, and that got me thinking....here's a man who knows he's going to die before his children, and is still bouncing around like tigger.

Bless him and his family -- he will be missed.

Melanie

GC

He was an inspiration - showing us how to live life to the fullest even with the worst prognosis. After losing a brother-in-law to this horribly quick form of cancer, I was hoping for a miracle. My heart goes out to his wife/kids he left behind.

Trace

Such a sad day. I watched the OPRAH special about him and took a lot of things out of what he had to say, What an incredible outlook he had on things. Among other things, I'll take with me his quote, "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." My heart goes out to his family.

Twinker

Say what you need to say, say what you need to say, say what you need to say, say what you need to say...well, he did!

Maggie

The world has lost a wonderful human being today. My heart goes out to his wife, three children, and his parents. Pausch had such an incredible view of life and lived everyday as if it were his last. I hope his family is at peace knowing how much he loved them.