« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

The Gold Standard Is Just Really Hot!

8/9/2008 6:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

They're the fittest, strongest, fastest and most-focused men each country has to offer, and they're hungry for medals. Go for it, gentlemen of the Olympics!
Olympic Contenders: The Men - click to launch

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Ny

We have a relative competing there - the entire family is so excited. People who have not spoken in years, are reconciling and laughing together

Amanda

Ny-
Congratulations! How exciting! Wish him/her the best of luck from proud Americans across the country!

pinhead

What is up with NBC? So far the coverage sucks! There is more information, better pictures and insights on telemundo then NBC. I mean the sound comes and goes, the dont report about anything else going on except what is on the screen at the time. If you log on to your computer you get all the scores, medal counts, results etc. Yet they try to hold the results until primetime. Come you NBC boneheads this is the age of lightening fast technology get with the program, I am bummed out your lame ass network got the rights to this huge event your a screwing it up. Oh last but not least Matt Lauer? is he an athlete? He looks like a middle aged bald loser!

Mary Worth

NBC's Olympics coverage is ALWAYS HORRIBLE!
In the past, at least, they have shoved the most banal american human stories down our throats, at the expense of covering races that include competing foreign athletes. They have done it over and over, again.

The Olympics is A WORLD EVENT! Poor NBC doesn't seem to know how to make it a world-including show. At least up to the present. I hope something will change for the better.

I saw Michael Phelps' IM event from a Mexican station, hours before NBC"s afternoon coverage.

name withheld

These guys are AMAZING! Superhuman superforces in the world of sports. I am constantly amazed at the beauty of their bodies and the skill and coordination they have. The sheer dedication involved is a concept my body can't grasp. Just give me sex and drugs!

carol

I was not prepared to have so much respect for the Chinese on the opening cereimonies event. But I give credit where it is due and I'm saying that was without a doubt the most SPECTACULAR display of human talent I have ever seen!!!!! I do not want to run into superlatives here but it is hardly avoidable. I stop to think that these special affects,color,lighting,sound,patterns ideas,etc........all came first from the human brain. Well done ,China. I underestimated you.

tmz reader

what about canadians Kyle Shewfelt, and Adam van Koeverden...Yum

D

Hey TMZ, You failed to mention Steven Lopez two-time gold medal winner for Tae Kwon Do. He is competing this year along with his brother and sister.

carol

OUTSTANDING U.S.A. !!!!!! Item to remember while trash talking... "pride goeth before a fall " How does one say "you SUCK' in french?

brokenbrooke

China did a spectacular job on the opening ceremonies, it was absolutely AMAZING!!! The best opening ceremony ever....Congradulations and good luck to all the athletes competing from all over the world, you all deserve medals....too bad our world leaders can't get along as well, maybe they should compete.

Mary Worth

They don't give credit to foreign gold medalists, where credit is due. They say things like, so-and-so, (A USA competitor) prevented that one (A foreigner) from winning a silver medal. And the spotlight is off the winning gold medalist!

It drives one to root for the foreign competitiors, in the interest of fair play!