Trump -- Hero to Heyyyyyy-O

8/14/2008 9:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

With all the money he's saved from firing people, Donald Trump may be bailing out Ed McMahon.

Trump has agreed to buy Ed's Bev Hills mansion, which McMahon is about to lose, and lease it back to him so Ed has a place to stay -- according to the L.A. Times.

We've confirmed Alex Davis of Hilton & Hyland, a top Bev Hills real estate firm, flew to NYC and made the appeal to The Donald.

According to the newspaper, Trump said, "When I was at the Wharton School of Business...I'd watch him every night. How could this happen?"

Unclear how much Donald will plunk down. The house was listed a while back for $7 mil but the asking price fell like a rock -- this weekend it was listed for $4.6 mil.

:what ev errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What the hell.................theses celebraties are a real piece of work. You can't tell me Ed didn't make a bazillion dollars over the years. So he's an ass and pissed his money away. Boo hoo.........................so now he's got Trump bailing him out. Geesh, must be nice. I can't believe some of you posters here stating that Trump has done a wonderfull thing.

Penny31

I'm not sure anyone mentioned this or not but why couldn't Countrywide have parlayed his celebrity to leverage the mortgage? Also, where the hell was Johnny Carson's Estate during all of this? Jay Leno? No one could help out this poor old sap? It's downright shameful that this gentleman with over 60 years in the Entertainment Ind. cannot 1. Pay his mortgage 2. Has a mortgage at 85 years old and 3. Feels he deserves to live in a $7 million dollar pad with zero savings.

CC

Donald is not gonna kick an 83 year old man with a broken neck out on the streets. He's probably guessing he'll die soon enough and then he can sell a house he bought for 4.6 mil for 10-12 mil. Especially since the market is expected to go back up soon enough. I doubt it's just an act of kindness but we all (even the Donald) grew up watching Ed. Sure Ed should have been smarter and now the whole world knows what a F up he is. I'm sure that's a lesson in itself. It's too late for that now. Throwing him out on the streets would just show how vile and uncaring Americans are. HAVE A HEART! People make mistakes.

sickofperverts

If you are bailing someone out of their financial problems I would certainly hope one would have sense enough for it to be "STRICTLY BUSINESS"!!! Anything else is a loser.

LuLu

This is wonderful no matter what the reasons for doing it are, Where are all Ed's friends, they are all older than dirt and just as wealthy and nobody came forward to help. It took Trump who doesn't have any connection to him.

mike

right on don!!!!!!!

Robyn Matthis

BRAVO Mr. Trump! BRAVO!!

stacie

awww thats sweet , Im glad somebody finally helped

Robyn Matthis

Whether Ed got himself in financial trouble or not is irrelevant. You young folks may not remember that the man truly is an American icon. I applaud Trumps actions. If he makes money after Ed goes to his reward, God bless him!! He's doing a good thing. It would be impossible for him to save every home in America......but by reaching out and saving ONE person, he's doing more than the rest of us probably have.
BRAVO Mr. Trump!!! God bless you and yours! To Ed; get well soon.... your fans still love ya!!!

OCD

Maybe Donald Trump has decided to "pay it forward". It is a kind gesture. Surprising, but still a very kind gesture.

Crackhead

First he cried like a little bitch on "Larry King", and now he is Donald Trump's bitch. Ed had no problem living the "million dollar" lifestyle all of those years, but can't stand the thought of having it all taken away now that the party is over. No sympathy. None.

whatever

I personally cant stand Trump, it completly shocked me that he is helping McMahon, but I am very glad to see that he has some kind of heart. Too many people at McMahons age are ripped off and dont see it happening until it is too late. This happened to my husbands grandmother and it wasnt until she died that it all came out. Her son had taken loans out in her name and not repaid them, her life insurance policy had been cashed in, her credit destoryed. She had dementia and had given him power of attorney. Needless to say, her property....valued at about $800,000 is being fought over by several lein holders, there was no money to bury her and her cheap kids decided to cremate her rather than bury her in the plot she has by her husband. I hope that Trump will allow McMahon to live there until he passes away and then kick the gold digging wife out on her broke a** to fend for herself.

char

PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ENABLING EDS ALCOHOLISM ALL IS LIFE. THIS IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE.

WILL DONALD THROW EDS WIFE OUT WHEN ED DIES? SHE BETTER BE CAREFUL!

SHE WILL LEFT WITH NOTHING UNLESS HE HAS A BIG LIFE ISURANCE POLICY.

Sharona

Trump does a lot of great things for the community and other people but some reason the media had rather portray the so called "bad" things. Donald is a great guy......jut don't cross him!

Debbie/grandmother

Just Wondering #55

You asked why people feel sorry for Ed McMahon...The man injured himself and fractured his neck. He will most likely never be completely healed from that injury. It left him unable to work. For those who do not feel empathy for him in this situation until you have been there I respectfully ask that you please not judge the situation he is in now. There are many people who are losing their homes because of job loss.

My husband was in the military and crashed his plane. We had very small children at the time. He almost died. Spent a year learning to walk again. We were very fortunate because the military took good care of us. I will always be thankful. Had we been in the civilian world I'm not sure what would have happened. I am a nurse and would have gone back to work... to help make ends meet. But there are so many out there who are really struggling with the housing market being what it is. Many cannot sell their homes.

I agree with some on here...if I had the money Mr.Trump has I would do what I could to help a friend in need. I never liked the man until now. What he is doing makes him a hero in my eyes.