Phelps Dad -- Invisible Man

8/20/2008 7:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Almost as ubiquitous as golden boy Michael Phelps has been his mom, Debbie.

But nowhere to be seen (or heard) has been Phelps' dad, Fred, who tells the New York Post that he hasn't even talked to his son since he left for the Olympics. Turns out that Ma and Pa Phelps divorced when Michael was nine, and has been "in and out" of Michael's life.

"I'm very proud of him and all he's done," says Fred. "This is not about me, it's about him."

Best Man on LiLo -- Lez Is More

The ever-classy Calum Best -- the guy who dated Lindsay Lohan before she headed to Promises rehab -- wonders, naturally, whether he was the one who disabused her of the need for male companionship.

"I hope I didn't turn her," Calum tells Life & Style. Best and LiLo were at the same Effen vodka event at Apple Lounge in L.A. last week, but they didn't talk. He insists he's still friendly with Lindz and tells the mag, "She's better than she was, because at one point she was in a bad way." Profound, that.

One thing he won't do: "Arm-wrestle her girlfriend."

Avril's Not Clean Enough, Says Malaysia

So no go for Avril Lavigne in Malaysia.

The government there has given the official ax to her concert, claiming the country doesn't want "our people, our teenagers, influenced by [Avril's] performance. We want clean artists, artists that are good role models." Seems that the timing of the concert -- just before Malaysia's independence day -- worked against Avril.

The promoter and Av can request a new date for the concert.

Party Favors: "Sopranos" Water as Thick as Blood ... Rodman Puts Himself in the Basement

TMZ spies spotted Meadow and AJ Soprano -- Jamie-Lynn Sigler and Robert Iler, that is -- "arm-in-arm" at Butter drinking only Evian water. Tony would be so glad. ... Dennis Rodman's rehab is going so well: He spent the other night in a private wine cellar at Philippe Miami with a gaggle of models, we hear.

Cinnamon

how hypocrtical is Malaysia! I've been ther and consideri one of the filthiest debauched coutieson this planet

Kay

What an amazing comment from Michael Phelps' father. Who knows what kind of relationship they have, but it sounds like he isn't writing a book, doing interviews, or shopping out stories to the National Enquirer in order to make a buck off his son.

chitown lady

Michael Phelps dad should NOT be an issue. Who cares? Why do you feel the need to go and drag him out of the woodwork? What gives you the right? I am so sick of all this NEGATIVENESS of his relationship with his father. Leave it alone for christsakes. Your damn websit isn't happy unless you go an d dig up the dirt on people. What the hell is wrong with you? LEAVE THE ISSUE ALONE........Let'sook at Michael's accomplishments on their merit, not his lack of his father.....Show some class TMZ..........

leftabadtasteinmymouth

What a whimp...he won't arm wrestle lilolesbo's skanky girlfriend?! She's a nasty, skinny waste of skin! They both are!

Kitty Angel

Calum Best is a total idiot if he really believes he has the power to "turn" someone into a Lesbian!!!

LongJohn69

Phelps' dad made a good move by not moving at all. He took the high road even if he was pretty low down.

Robert R.

I have to admit that I was always curious about where Phelps' dad was all this time, considering how much of a presence his mother was over the last two weeks. That said, this article really was pointless, and the only class being shown by anyone other than Michael Phelps in this case is his father for redirecting the attention to his son.

If TMZ had the whole story....you would understand

Why bring up this man, His mom is in the spotlight, because she is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wasted days and wasted nights

Acoustic Avril could cover Gordon Lightfoot tunes for Malaysia. That'd be cool.

patty

WHO GIVES A RIP ABOUT MICHAEL PHELPS DAD AND WHERE HE WAS DURING THIS WONDERFUL YOUNG OLYMPIANS 8 GOLD MEDALS..IT WAS OBVIOUS THE YOUNG MAN HAS SUCH GREAT RESPECT AND REGARD FOR HIS MOTHER..ONE OF HIS WINS YOU COULD SEE HIM MOUTHING "WHERE IS MY MOM" AND SHE HAD TO STAND UP AND WAVE TO LET HIM KNOW SHE WAS THERE..

I FIND IT SAD FOR MICHAEL THAT HIS DAD HAS BEEN ACTIVE SINCE HE WAS NINE YEARS OLD BUT I THINK HIS MOTHER HAS COMPENSATED AS MUCH AS ONE COULD WITHOUT A FATHER WHO APPARENTLY CHOSE TO REMOVE HIMSELF FROM HIS SON'S LIFE..

Arcobaleno

I'm a Malaysian and I've already bought Avril's concert ticket. Yes, I've been anticipating this concert. I'm really disappointed that her concert is banned here. There are a lot of Avril's fans here in Malaysia. The reasons given for her ban are really ridiculous to me. My country's independence day is on 31st of Aug, while her concert is on 29th of Aug. I don't see any reasons that her concert will hinder the Independence Day preparations. I've never thought that Avril is not 'clean' or a bad role model. She's an artist that sings good songs and I love her songs. Music is life, that's what music means to me. Maybe, I'll never meet Avril again...