« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jake "The Snake" Implodes

9/15/2008 1:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Forget everything you knew about wrestling legend Jake "the Snake" Roberts -- all that appears to remain is Jake the Junkie.
Jake Roberts: Click to view!
TMZ has obtained extremely disturbing footage of the former WWF superstar -- and former substance abuse rehab patient -- self-destructing during a live benefit event in Ohio over the weekend.

The footage shows a stumbling, overweight, rambling Roberts struggling to form a coherent sentence, while addressing the crowd moments before his match in the Firestorm Pro Wrestling league.

But the story behind the scenes is even more tragic. According to several sources, the 53-year-old legend was found passed out backstage moments before he was scheduled to perform. We're told when Snake was woken up, he was aggressive, violent and asking for "an 8-ball."

We're also told nearly two dozen empty airplane bottles of vodka were found by his gear.

During the match, Roberts was clearly unable to perform, barely responding to the barrage of "fake blows" he received from the other wrestler, J.T. Lightning. Around one minute into the match, Roberts' opponent -- clearly frustrated with the situation -- whispers to the ref to end the fight. Afterwards, Lightning grabbed the mic and told Roberts, "I've wrestled drug addicts ... you are a piece of s**t, Snake. You gypped these people. F**k you."

Click to view the gallery!After the verbal assault, Jake pulled down the front of his pants and exposed his penis to the crowd.

Backstage, the madness continued. People close to the situation tell us Snake broke his hand punching a wall, then ran into the street crying. An ambulance and police were called to the scene, but Roberts, who refused medical treatment, was not arrested.

Calls to Jake's rep have not yet been returned.
For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

CLE Fan

I was there, and I don't think Jake was drugged. He got on my buddy's phone and called me a queer because I was running late. Had this been 6th grade, I may have considered suicide after being called a queer by Jake the Snake.

He interrupted the championship match once, and had to be restrained by JC from doing it a second time.

As for the second guy who tried to wrestle him, he was doing that so that Jake could give the people what they wanted and maybe leave to a cheer.

Captain Astute

Shannon at TeamSnake did a great Spin of "what really happened". Uh huh. Suuuuure Shannon. He was drugged against his will. That's exactly what I thought. Got any bridges for sale ? You should consider hiring her TMZ.

Launy

Easy research guys. Watch Beyond the Mat and you will understand why this isn't a surprise.

Nor Cal Reader

When I saw "Beyond the Mat" 10 years ago I thought that Jake Roberts was going to be dead in 2 years. The fact that he is still alive and semi-vertical surprises the heck out of me. I can not believe this guy hasn't OD'd yet. I don't hold TMZ in a bad light for posting this video. People should see it. This is your life on drugs. Lindsey, Britney, Amy and any other celebutard should look carefully at this and make note. This is what your life can be if you keep up the parties, booze and drugs. Party on Wayne!!

john

I feel bad for Jake. He was always a good entertainer back in the days. But he like so many other wrestlers take drugs to heal their bodies after years of being beaten. So it is only a matter of time before they get hooked on them.
I wish you the best Jake. Take care bro.

H3Y5Z

This is not like Jake the Snake Roberts. By the way he put on one good show at Big Time Wrestling in New London Ohio promoted by James Hines aka Bobby Fulton the crowed loved him at the Festival he appeared in the same show as Buff Bagwell And Sharkboy he was no way intoxicated at that event a couple weeks back. Those boys in Cleveland are looking for some publicity out of this especially being a struggling Indy wrestling fed. CAPW failed, Pro wrestling Ohio struggles on. JT Lightning is apart of everyone of those Indy promotions. . No disrespect but this should of never made it to TMZ. .

Cyn

I use to love watching wrestling, having 4 brothers and being the only girl, yeah, it was intertaining in the good old days. This man is clearly broken. He should have gone to treatment instead of going in the ring. He lookes like an overweight, drunk who is inches away of killing himself. Why didn't his "people" see this and do something? It's sad. I wouldn't even call it pathetic, it's just sad.

Cyn

I use to love watching wrestling, having 4 brothers and being the
only girl, yeah, it was entertaining in the good old days. This man
is clearly broken. He should have gone to treatment instead of going
in the ring. He lookes like an overweight, drunk who is inches away
of killing himself. Why didn't his "people" see this and do
something? It's sad. I wouldn't even call it pathetic, it's just sad.

STEELERS RULE

Jake look at the bright side to all this,,You could have picked football and be playing for the BENGALS..

Dick Nasty

So let me get this straight. Alcohol is legal, causing people to act like this, yet marijuana isn't? Mmmmmk

The Angel 2008

JAKE AND FIRESTORM PRO Something you all need to hear.
I don't like Shannon. I am in no way standing up and approving of Jake's behavior. My question is this: You guys going to tell me you didn't know there would be ALCOHOL readily available at this show? You didnt warn Shannon, his Agent, of this possibility when booking him when the whole world knows he is a recovering alcoholic?
You personally have him at an all time low, but there are times when the promoters allow this to get out of control as well. My question is what the hell happened at this show that endangered his recovery?
Your little pansy that he was supposed to fight that night is nothing more than trying to make a cheap name for himself. Honestly, if after 16 years you dont make it to the pros, it is time to find a new profession. He never walked in these guys shoes and I would like to see him submit to a drug and alcohol test with no warning sounds to me like another rip off indy promotion. Honestly, I had my share of seeing that Bull Can tell you this though, me and Jake are not friends. But if given to chance to see the no namer that tried to make a name for himself or Jake, I would still pay the money to see JAKE!

Jake's Dealer

Somebody tell "Team Snake" to STFU. No one drugged Jake. He did it to himself. Face it, he's got a problem and has had one for quite a long time now. I respect the WWE for paying for rehab for him. However a 14 day stint in rehab is clearly not long enough to rehabilitate the magnitude of jake's problems. Perhaps, making Jake pay for the rehab would make more of a lasting impact on him. Especially if he has to struggle to pay for it. With WWE paying, he knows he can just screw up over and over and Vince McMahon will take care of rehab. Of course the underlying factor is that Jake won't get better until he reaches rock bottom and is ready to make a change in his life.

BTW, keep the video posted, TMZ. All alcoholics and drug addicts should see it. I say put it on the front page of yahoo.com and all of the news web sites.

joe miceli

jake was robbed! - his shoulders were NOT all the way down! - guess he can't afford to bring out a python anymore after his matches so he brings out his weiner

joe miceli

also, what is vh1 waiting for ?? - jake and jeff conaway are a match made in drunk heaven

meow