Cook's Crappy Defense: Belushi's Ghost Owns Me

9/22/2008 3:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dane Cook is dragging the ghosts of John Belushi and Steve Martin into a nasty legal battle over dog poop -– despite the fact that one of the comics isn't even dead yet!
Launch documents
After a judge ruled to evict Cook from his Hollywood apartment last month because nobody picked up after the comic's crap-happy dog, Dane has decided to fight the decision with one of the most bizarre legal arguments we've ever heard –- that Belushi and Martin's supernatural leftovers have a serious affect on his career.

Cook claims he only rented the apartment in the first place because his heroes, Belushi and Martin, used to live in the same complex back in the day, and according to the court docs filed in L.A. County Superior Court, he would suffer serious "mental and emotional" damage -- and his career would crumble -- if he was forced to leave. In the docs, Cook claims, "I know that the presence of those that have lived there before me affects me deeply and provides me with inspiration."

Cook went on to say, "In the same way that writers can get writer's block, comedians can really easily run out of ideas and 'stories'; I am extremely frightened that this will happen to me if I am forced to move out of my apartment. I've seen it happen to other comics, that something interferes with their connection to their creative muse, and it's destroyed careers."

In the three pages of desperate begging and pleading for the judge to hear his appeal, Cook also adds that he will cut a $40,000 check to the owner of the apartment ASAP to cover all of the suffering that his dookie-droppin' doggie has caused, if he is allowed to stay.

No word if Cook channeled Belushi to pen this appeal -– but it did smell suspiciously like a bottle of Jack Daniels.

dmaninsac

Can't agree with the others whole heartedly enough. Dane Cook is NOT FUNNY! How did this guy get this far? Is it just cuz girls think he is cute, "for a comedian," and his fervent popularity among the Bostonians? His stand up sucks, and I caught the DVD of that piece of crap he did with Jessica Alba at a friends house...P-EEWW! There's an hour and half of my life I will never get back. Hey Dane scratch me a check for a few hundred for the damaged you caused to my psyche. Now he has re-made virtually the same movie with Kate Hudson. Oh joy of joys! Affiliating himself with Belushi and Martin? Steve Martin was funnier on the Emmys for 5 minutes last night than Dane Cook has been in his whole crappy career!

gus

He could steal material and be unfunny if he lived in a toolshed. What's the problem? And anyone that mentions 'Dane Cook' in the same sentence with John Belushi and Steve Martin should get throat cancer.

sw

Maybe this jerk should of thought about that when he refused to pick up after his dog.
Throw his ass out. Dane is a loser

Lana Caine

Hack.

celebuspawn

this dude needs to go back to Boston for a REALITY CHECK. Maybe put all this energy in this case towards your creativity. Learn your lesson - CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG!

Me

I saw My Best Friend's Girl this weekend. Dane Cook was EXTREMELY unlikeable in this movie. If he thinks this movie will help his film career - he's wrong, wrong. wrong. His hair was funky too. This lawsuit is making him sound like a nut case - - - and like everyone else I'm wondering, "What about the new digs?"

Sean

Dane Cook Fan....So Dane is so lame that he wants to file a bogus claim and clog up the legal system even more? All this just to be funny? Thanks Dane for adding to the mess that is our legal situation

peter

Dane Cook = NO TALENT HACK. His publicist must have told him that the "BUZZ" on his new film is not good,( because he is in it) I guess that he thinks any coverage is good coverage. If he leaves Hollywood, that is the only coverage that we need. PLEASE DANE LEAVE

Lana Caine

I just checked the weekend box-office receipts. "My Best Friend's Girl"--a whopping $8.3M enough to garner a dismal third place in the weekend take. Buh-bye Mr. Cook. Perhaps you'll have better luck as a comedian. Oops, you tried that.

MarkScottMusic.com

Dane Cook has a creative muse? I wonder if the muse is a douchebag, too.

Joe

Steve Martin isn't dead though, so how could he channel Steve Martin's spirit?

Doh!

Belushi as inspiration??? He must be rollin over in his grave...

he couldn't shine Belushi's shoes...

If Belushi was truly any inspiration, Cook wouldn't be the hack he is..
The only thing Cook's got goin for him is he can deliver a line well...
problem is the line isn't funny.......................like him

whathahellizat

Steve Martin Isn't dead dumbasses!!!!!!..... Oh yea, and Dane Cook isn't funny.

KNOWITALL

PICK UP YOUR DOG SH*T YOU UNTALENTED GOOF BAG.
THIS GUY IS UNFUNNY AND AN ACNE KING!

KNOWITALL

HIS BIG CLAIM TO FAME IS HE HAS THE MOST MYSPACE FRIENDS.....BFD.

I HAVE A 12 INCH PENIS - NOW THATS FAME!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments