Oprah's Mom -- I Can't Read the Small Print!

10/1/2008 9:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah Winfrey's mom is refusing to pay back a $155K bill to a clothing store, and her defense is basically to play dumb.

Vernita Lee claims she shouldn't have to pay the gigantic bill to Valentina, a boutique in Wisconsin, because they took advantage of her "lack of knowledge ... and/or capacity" when they opened the account, reports the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. What's more, her lawyer says the store didn't disclose finance charges prominently enough.

And to think, this could all go away with the change lying around Oprah's chintz-covered cushions.

UH HUH

Wow. You people have some serious issues to have so much hatred towards someone you do not know. I really feel sorry for you that you are so miserable in life. I feel bad for your children and family that has to put up with you as well. Glad I am not you all! Wow. Just wow.

janet

she knew what she was doing this is not the first time she's done it. If opie bails her out she's going to keep doing it.

Dixie

Stupid is as stupid does.

Candie

Gettin' her Super-size Big Mac meal on......$6.50
Gettin' her nails did.....................................$25.00
Price of a bad weave at SuperCuts.............$99.95
$155k worth of clothing............apparently, Priceless.

iknowpopculture

First off, I purchased my home in 1996 and it was very affordable. My husband and I have no children and lived a very comfortable life. Once the republicans took office, jobs were sent overseas and my husband was laid off after 18 years with his company! The cost of living sky rocketed and salaries did not! To blame the economy on working class citizens who pay their bills and live within their means it bull! Please put the blame where it belongs - the Bush Administration! I've been around long enough to know that the only time working class citizens prosper is when a democrat is in office. The republicans are for the rich! Period!

Zip It

She has no worries ... the goverment will bail her out ... no need to pay for nuthin' ... every honest working person in America will be happy to pay out their hard earned pay for your over priced over sized clothes ... sho nuff hon

D.

I can't believe I'm actually reading this!!!! Ms. Lee is such an ignorant person and should be thrown into the slammer because it's stealing!!!! Hey, they should take this woman and put her in jail with Ed McMann, who apparently didn't pay back a $100,000 loan. It would make great reality television!!!! In the Middle East they'd cut your arms for this type of behavior!

Candie

LMAO Are you serious, metnwt?

Think about it. If what you say is true, and the current economic crisis (and your personal hardships) fall on the Bush Administration's shoulders "once the Republicans took office" (your own words), then doesn't it stand to reason that they inherited the mess from the previous administration?

Stop listening to the self-righteous, left-wing media and those mindless, uneducated Hollywood-types who spew nothing but self-serving garbage, all for the sake of their own popularity and self-promotion. Don't be a lemming. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself, do some real fact-finding, and fully understand the issues before you attempt to speak to them.

All that aside, what on earth does your post have to do with Oprah Winfrey's mother?

Duo

If I were Oprah I would not bail her out. It's her responsibility to live off the generous allowance Oprah provides, besides the store should not be exploiting old people which I suspect was going on.

Elizabeth

oh my, I hope she didn't buy a house too when houses were being given away... it's suckers who don't read the fine print that are just as responsible...

Candie

LMAO Are you serious, metnwt?

iknowpopculture

Yes Candie I am very serious! I did my homework and right before President Bush took office, this country was in a 470M surplus! There was no recession and Mr. Bush predicted a recession before he took office so give me a break! I'm not for one party or another, I have just lived long enough to see both administrations in action and I know how it has affected my life. As far as what does this have to do with Oprah's mother, nothing at all! But the previous post all want to blame the ecomonic situation on people taking advantage of the system and looking for hand outs and that is just not the case!

Trooper Tom

Pay your damn bills just like every one else. No doubt she went shopping using her relationship to Oprah as a way to get VIP treatment.

Yvonne

Oprah's done enough shows to know that if she picks up the tab, she's enabling her mother and her unacceptable behaviour. I'm pretty sure that Oprah gives her an allowance of some sort. Pay up lady!!

Cool

Oprah shoulod NOT bail her out! She is using her daughter, not acceptable!!