BYU -- Half-Naked Men Equals No Degree

10/16/2008 3:08 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No shirt, no shoes -- no degree from BYU.

Chad Hardy -- the guy who was excommunicated from the LDS church for creating a Morman beefcake calendar-- has now had his college degree yanked as well. FYI -- that's not Chad in the photo, just one of his god-fearing models.

Even though he completed the academic requirements to graduate, and did the whole cap and gown thing at the graduation ceremony, Hardy just got a letter from the bigwigs over at Brigham Young University saying he's been "deleted from the August 2008 Graduation list" because he wasn't in "good honor code standing."

At least he's got some real-world business experience under his belt.

Dale

Why would the Mormons apologize for polygamy? did they enslave someoen against their will? Did they affect the US as a whole or in part? Were others offended? I take it Dobbie figures that anyone who has a second marraige or a third is a polygamist! I own 6 cars, does that make me a Plyautomobileist? OOps I am sorry, I apologize!

THE PRICE IS WRONG BOB BARKER

LOOK PEOPLE, THIS IS A PRIVATE SCHOOL BYU. THERE IS NO SEPERATION FROM CHURCH AND STATE BECAUSE IT IS CHURCH AND CHURCH. BYU GETS NO FUNDING FROM THE STATE OR GOVERNMENT. BYU IS A GREAT SCHOOL AND A BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS. IF YOU HAD KIDS; YOU WOULD WANT THEM TO GO TO THIS SCHOOL. THE STUDENTS HERE DON'T DRINK, SMOKE OR DO THINGS THAT ARE SOCIAL OK AT OTHER COLLEGES BUT MORALLY WRONG. THE GOLFER MIKE WEIR WENT TO BYU AND HE IS NOT EVEN MORMON. WHY YOU MAY ASK BECAUSE HE AND HIS FAMILY FELT IT WAS A CLEAN SCHOOL WITH HIGH STANDARDS. WHICH SCHOOLS THESE DAYS HAVE HIGH STANDARDS AND HOLDS THEIR STUDENTS ACCOUNTABLE? YOU WOULD BE VERY IMPRESSED WITH BYU IF YOU HAD A CHANCE TO VISIT BYU. EVERYTHING IS TOP ON LINE AND THEY JUST BUILT A *HUGE* PRACTICE FACILITY FOR THEIR FOOTBALL TEAM. THAT'S WHY BYU IS IN THE TOP 10! THE WORLD IS NOT TAKING THE HIGH GROUND...WHO IS?

shaun

I guarantee you this guy did not get excommunicated because he posed for this calendar. It takes a serious sin (ie repeated adultery, child/spousal abuse, serious crime, etc) and an unrepentant attitude to get excommunicated. The Church owns BYU and if you don't want to live by the Honor Code, you need to go to a different school.

David

Later in 1978, Apostle Bruce R. McConkie said:

" There are statements in our literature by the early brethren which we have interpreted to mean that the Negroes would not receive the priesthood in mortality. I have said the same things, and people write me letters and say, “You said such and such, and how is it now that we do such and such?” And all I can say to that is that it is time disbelieving people --->repented and got in line and believed in a living, modern prophet. That would be an apology

Twinker

Mitt Romney would have made a much better Republican nominee even though he looked like a brunette Robert Tilton.
Time for Starbucks....

Anita

MOrmon leaders deliberately cultivate a certain naivete and gullibility in their members by not allowing dissent or the development of critical thinking skills.

That's why you see members routinely defending the outrageous behavior of this cult.

When you join Mormonism you can kiss your civil rights goodbye!
This phony church has their nose in every member's live, from dictating their underwear to grilling teens about the "evils" of masturbation, to spying and reporting on each other.

BYU's tactics are no great surprise, but they should be sued and lose their accreditation over this.

Dobbie17

Randy if you see my original post 19 It is clear The apology in question was in regard to the Priesthood ban. Again I assert that the Church nor the Prophets have ever apologized for its denial of the priesthood to blacks. David I am still waiting for the quote from President Kimball. Like you said maybe I wasn't paying attention. If you can show me that quote by President Kimball and it's source I will be very happy to see it.

As far as Elder Mcconkie. I do not see anywhere in the quote the words: sorry, wrong or apologize.

Randy, If polygamy was always a doctrine of the true church I would think that Christ and his original 12 apostles would have been practicing it. I must have missed that either in the New testament or the Book of Mormon.

Again the Church still practices polygamy when it seals men(widowers) to a second wife.

jen

Dobbie17 - regarding the part of your message aimed at the church denying blacks the priesthood, read this site.
It wasn't about skin color, it was about lineage. Anyone with ANY Hamitic blood in them was denied the priesthood.

Anita

Oh please!
Just read the Journal of Discourses and feast on the incredibly racist remarks by Mormon "prophets"
It boggles the mind.

If this were the church of God, those "prophets" would have known better than to make such statemens as
"black people are inferior and made to serve the white people who are deserving of a far greater glory" or
"instant death to those who commit the abomination of mingling the black seed with white seed".

Mornism is the REAL abomination, of course.

Dobbie17

Jen,

Thats just great. Somehow the idea that Church discriminated not only against blacks but against anyone with Hamitic blood makes it OK. I stand all amazed that you still want to defend and justify this stuff. You guys are your own worst enemy.

Anita

Lineage - are you insane?

We know by now from irrefutable DNA results that we ALL have Africa in us.

Joseph Smith never foresaw the Double Helix, neither could he predict the information highway which shows anyone who cares to study even a little that MORMONISM IS A CROCK !!!

In fact, the web is now doing to Mormonism what Martin Luther did to the catholic church. LOL.

I agree with Dobbie

Dobbie - I find what you say very informed and am thankful that there is someone who has the same questions I do...however, there are never any straight forward answers! And isn't it convenient that polygamy has only been in the past and is in sealings still today only acceptable for MEN...and only MEN can hold the priesthood. I'm an ex-mormon who was sealed in the temple...I left on my own accord because I wasn't living the standards and didn't want to. Honestly, I loved the church part, I just didn't like the temple part...everything that happens in there made me uncomfortable and it just didn't feel right in my heart...I would go back in a second if they didn't have the temples and I told the Stake President that...all he could do is give me a pamphlet on the temple....

kim

What BS! He should SUE! Hypocritical Mormon religion =(

Carolyn A-B

Where's Sen. Orrin Hatch? If Brigham Young can deny a graduate his lawful place then they should have their accreditation challenged. I'm sure BYU happily receives federal funding, so they'd better toe the line as an institution of higher learning.

Fetch, yeah!

Melissa

Don't go to a religious school if you don't want to accept their rules.

My kids go to a Catholic school. We are not Catholic. They are required to attend Morning Prayer and take a course on religion. I choose to send them to this school because it is the best in the state. I accept the code of ethics that the children and I must sign every year and I accept that they will learn things in religion class that I don't necessarily agree with. We just have some very lively dinner table conversations discussing our differences between what the church thinks is right and what we believe is right. However, my kids know that they have to abide the rules.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments