Jay-Z's Def Jam Successor Found Dead

11/2/2008 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Shakir Stewart, the man who replaced Jay-Z as head VP of Def Jam Records, was found dead yesterday in his Georgia home.

Best known for signing artists such as Rick Ross and Young Jeezy -- Stewart stepped in Jay-Z's shoes shortly after he stepped down last December.

Cause of death -- still under investigation. Several websites speculate suicide, but nothing is confirmed.

UPDATE: A Cobb County Police Detective says Stewart was taken to an Atlanta hospital after suffering a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his Marietta, Ga. home.

HOLLYWOOD STANDARD

Just Ask Rick Ross to find out what happened...He is a rapper and a cop on Def Jam...He is already undercover, so he'll get his other cop buddies on this case asap!

2092 days ago

Yvette

DAMN FOR A MINUTE THERE I THOUGHT THEY WAS TALKIN ABOUT JAYZ WHO THE HELL IS SHAKIR STEWART

2092 days ago

latrice

TMZ really need to take JZ'S picture down my heart stop for a minute... I seen dead and Jz come Tmz put Shakir picture up....

2092 days ago

Kendra Would Rock Your C**k!

Oh my! How will this country get over the loss of an uneducated, talentless, drug-addicted wannabe gangsta'?
The more that shoot one another the better society becomes. BANG! BANG! Men in jean skirts with their nasty, unwashed boxers showing. Welcome to a life of thievery or minimum wage employment. Of course, your floppy-eared "Messiah" will see that you get a check ... Canker sores you are.

2092 days ago

L

It really is true that you can take a person out of the 'hood but you can't take the 'hood out of a person!

2092 days ago

joker112

He shot himself in the head.......sad

2092 days ago

yadda yadda

and?................................................

2092 days ago

you idoit

@ number 4..

you are pathetic you must be white trash... Shakir WAS EDUATED AND WAS NOT A THUG AND NOT FROM THE HOOD.. PEOPLE LIKE YOU EXCURE ME IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU IS WHY THERE IS IGNORANCE AND RACISM.. YOU MY FRIEND ARE OBVIOUSLY UNEDUCATED BECUASE ONLY UNEDUCATED PEOPLE MAKE STATEMENTS LIKE YOU JUST DID,,, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FEEL WHEN OBAMA WINS THE WHITE HOUSE YOU DUMB ASS

2092 days ago

Whadda-Do

What-da-dilly, yo?

Know what I'm sayin'?

Keep it real.

Peace out.

2092 days ago

Guess Who?

Wow! That is sad. Um...sin't this the guy that took over Jays job? Well, where was Jay during...just playin.

2091 days ago

Kendra Would Rock Your C**k!

Hey #9? You misspelled just about EVERY WORD that you wrote. You have no punctuation of ANY KIND. Not to mention the fact that you misspelled "I D O I T." You're right. I DESPISE you lazy, uneducated, school-skipping thugs. When you pay taxes that go to ME then my opinion might change, but we both know that's never going to happen because you have the I.Q. of a housecat. We hard working Americans will continue to feed, clothe and house another generation of you canker sores. Not once have you said "thank you" it's just blah, blah, blah ... bitch, bitch bitch. Bill Cosby knows the truth but you aren't interested in the TRUTH ... just continuing government assistance.

2091 days ago

you idoit

So number 11..lol
I actually have a Masters Degree from a top-ranking Unversity for one and two you have no idea what you are talking about, you sound sooooo UNEDUCATED and just plain dumb. People like you will never prosper, so I was rushing and had typos whoop deee dooo. The fact that you are offended by my words tells me that your only argument was my typos... lol hilarious. You are mad because you will never reach the highest levels of society no matter how hard you work due to your self-hatred and lack of a sound mind.. this is 2008 and Obama is about to become President.. and to be honest I actually feel sorry for you, YOU are the canker sore, oh how it stings doesn't it. You can stomach success by non-white people because you feel entitled... Its a new day... take some notes then maybe you will see a CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN.. tah tah darling!

2091 days ago

Crabby

Jay Z have Downs Syndrome? He looks like it...

2091 days ago

Barfalufugus

Yeah, not a flattering picture of Jay-Z. He looks like a mouth-breather in that photo. At least TMZ could put a picture of the person who actually died.

2091 days ago

GurlGirl

Shakir Stewart was the Executive Vice President of Def Jam Recordings and also the VP of A & R @ Def Jam Island Records, he is responsible for signing Beyonce Knowles to a publishing deal. To his credit he has also oversaw the projects of Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, and Nas, just to name a few. He is a 1996 alumni of Morehouse College in Atlanta Georgia. He is a Bachelor of Science in Marketing. Now out of respect for Mr. Stewart and his family, R.I.P. you will be missed. May God be with you and your family.

2091 days ago