Guitarist: Coldplay Cold-Jacked My Song

12/5/2008 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Some badass guitarist is suing Coldplay for allegedly ripping off his song -- and once you hear this guy's Cold-case, it's gonna blow your frickin' mind.

It's all over Coldplay's number one hit "Viva La Vida" -- Joe Satriani says "Viva" is way too similar to his 2004 instrumental, "If I Could Fly." Now, he's asking for "any and all profits" ... and given that "Vida" topped the chart in 36 countries, we could be talking about a lot of money.

Satriani has worked with everyone from Mick Jagger to Deep Purple.

A rep for Coldplay had no comment.

UPDATE
: The lawsuit was settled outside of court -- the terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

Anita

This should be an easy suit to win unless a jury is tone deaf.

PM

Joe Satriani is not just "Some badass guitarist" He's f_ing amazing and a better musician than the guys from Coldplay could ever dream of being.

Bash a Pap

I typically assume the defendant is innocent in cases like this... but WOW... Coldplay cold stole that song... Now what about the Grammy Awards?

Barfalufugus

Love how you changed guitar geek to badass guitarist.

Anita

I hte Coldplay and I hate that stuckup bitch Paltrow even more.

She is a mother of two and dresses like a 12 year old with short skirts up the wazzoo.
And what's the problem wih their marriage? The seem to live separate lives.Not surprising of course.

Anita

Gwynneth Paltrow got porked by Brad Pitt back in the days. Guess that's somehing to feel proud of LOL.
Or not. LOL.

grrr

This song is an amalgam of several songs, none of which are coldplay's - they are complete loser thieves with a famous name.
on youtube, you can find several video posts about how this song is similar to a 'creaky boards' song, as well as an Alizee (french pop artist) song, as well as the Joe Satriani song. Unfortunately, this is pretty old news TMZ, get your act together and do some research for once!

steve in sd

some guitar geek?

what a poorly written story, I cant believe google news links to this...

Anita

I swear. All those guys get to play musical leg openings with the Hollywood women.
When they see each other they must all wink at each other.
Everyone is family , so to speak. And no doubt everyone shares the same STDs.

jrad247

Having never heard "If I Could Fly" I would have thought Satriani was ripping on Cold Play....

Wow!- that was written 4 years ago - Why would Cold Play be sooooo stupid ?

Same tune ! Hands down ~ I'll smoke to that

Meri

TMZ-- I like your website,but you have to educate your young people that are working for you.Joe Satriani is one of the BEST Guitarist and right up there with the best.Recently your people reporting,was following Ann-Margret to her car. They
didn't know who she was and thought she was another actress.

pearldrummeryan

Yeah, Satch got ripped off. And TMZ, come on; I realize you're into (c)Rap and Fall Out Boy and sh 1t like that, but Joe Satriani is one of the best guitarists to ever grace this earth.

kristyleeshnook

When given a choice, most of Coldplay's fans would probably say they don't like Satriani's original version of this song because it doesn't have a DREAMY singer! LOL! BTW the Grammys are a joke! The fact that the Jonas Brothers are nominated for their sloppy, cringe-worthy, cliche ridden dreck proves that fact. Beyond their weird music, their spastic movements while performing are truly embarrassing! I hope they win! LMAO!

my 3 cents

Wow I just listened to the audio and think that it is pretty dead-on. I don't know if it was deliberate because the melody and tune is a little off, I am pretty sure the two songs have nothing to do with each other. An entertainment atty would have a field-day with this one.

cindywindy

"Some guitar geek" ??? TMZ you GOTTA be kiddin' me !! You sound like you've never heard of him before and that he is some kind of amateur garage band guy with braces on his teeth. Not that there is anything wrong with that. If you were over the age of 20 you would know that Satriani is an artist. I'm not sure what offends me more - your label of Satriani as "some kind of guitar geek" or that his incredible guitar work has been completely ripped off by a bubble-gum pop band like Coldplay. Sheesh.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments