Killer of "Most Wanted" Host's Son Identified

12/16/2008 2:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The tragic murder of a 6-year-old that lead John Walsh to host "America's Most Wanted" has finally been solved -- a mere 27 years after it happened.

Police in Hollywood, Florida are finally going to ID the scumbag who abducted and decapitated 6-year-old Adam Walsh in 1981. Police are expected to ID the killer as Ottis Toole, a convicted pedophile who died in prison in 1996.

Walsh began hosting "AMW" in 1988 -- a show which claims to have led to the capture of over 1,000 fugitives.

The killer will be officially announced at a press conference later today.

UPDATE: Walsh's publicist just told TMZ, "Evidence proves beyond a doubt that if Toole were alive today, he'd be charged and convicted of abducting and killing Adam."

gail

TO #10 YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS FOR RATINGS, WHEN MR. WALSH HAS BEEN STABBED IN THE HEART "SORT OF SPEAK" AND NOW THE KNIFE IS COMING OUT...WHAT A RELIEF...THIS IS REAL LIFE, NOT A STUPID FAKE REALITY SHOW THAT SHOWS STUPIDITY......THIS IS REAL!! YOU DON'T WANT TO PLAY WITH YOUR HEART TO MAKE A T.V. SHOW RATINGS GO UP....HOW SILLY.....HOW SAD.............

red

#3 comment, for saying this i hope you burn in hell

Linda Spector

I sure wish we could do the same for Casey Anthony .that child murderer.... WHATS up with Fl? Does the HEAT get to them or WHAT???

Kelly

Rest in Peace sweet boy. Your horrible death was not in vain....The Center for Missing and Exploited Children was a result of this tragedy and your parents hard work and determination. As a mother of three, my thoughts cannot even go to that dark place of what pedohiles are thinking, but we cannot live in fear either. Thank you John Walsh for being our childrens' advocate and getting these dirtballs and lowest of the low in jail.

Christina

Thank God. I was 12 at the time Adam was abducted, and his tragedy has helped shape the way I feel even today about law & order. I fervently pray that this announcement helps the Walshes achieve peace of mind. John Walsh has done a wonderful service to the American community for these 27 years, and I applaud him. Thank you, John.

Greg

One less gift to deliver............ho.ho,ho.

carrie attebury

The main issue is that a child was taken from his family and brutally murdered. I worked in retail a long time and everytime a code "adam" was called had my heart in my throat and thought of little adam until the missing child was found. Bless the Walsh family for helping to make things safe for other children.

JohnLawRetired

I have met John Walsh and found that he is a sicere caring person and a friend to Law Enforcement and all law abiding citizens. He has helped take many dangerouse criminals off our streets and put them behind bars to protect us from being victims! This man is for real!
As for Otis Toole may he burn in hell for what he has done to Adam and other innocent children!

Amused

The man confessed back in 1983 and nobody but the walsh family
believed him! they decided he wasn't a suspect after alittle "police
work". If I were the walsh family I'd be out for some kind of
restitution since they could've done something about it when he was
actually ALIVE!! Wow, look at our tax dollars going to work!

mud

As the tears roll down my face as I watch the press conference, my sympathies remain with Adam's precious family.

CWill

I'd say this Ottis Toole---and he was just that---was probably shanked in prison when the suspicion finaly got to the prison yard. Hopefully, this belated info gives much deserved closure to the Walsh family.

concernedfemale

Until now they had very small DNA samples that couldn't be adequately tested with the testing they had at that time. Yes, the man did confess but many murders will confess to crimes they didn't commit in order to receive popularity, media attention, and the like. There have been several serial killers who have confessed to killing way more then they did actually kill. A perfect example is the hillside strangler, which turned out to be two men who confessed to all these killings then it was found out that alot of them it was no way they could have done it because they would have had to be in two places at once.
But thank God that science is getting better with each year and new DNA techniques are being discovered that can catch these monsters that prey on little innocent children! I'm so happy that the Walsh family can have some sense of closure. May God Bless them and John Walsh for picking himself up and fighting the good fight for justice!

Candice

It is sad this had to happen but I am glad at least now there are answers, even though there will never be justice for Adam. But hopefully now there will be peace for his family. I am sure that today's event have just opened up an old wound for Adam's family. I will be saying prayers for them.

momoftwins

I hope this gives John and his family a little bit of closure. I've always held a special place in my heart for Adam as we were both born 7/27/75. As for the bastard who said "so what" I hope your family never has to go through a vicious murder of a innocent child.

JMB

They have been saying that Otis Toole did it for YEARS NOW. Why are they just now making it "official?" Did they find some new evidence somwhere, like, possibly DNA?