Playwright Calls Piven's Sick-Out Real Fishy

12/18/2008 2:11 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Who told Jeremy Piven he could work with men, anyway?

Not David Mamet, the playwright whose "Speed-the-Plow" Piven just ditched on Broadway. He had some awesomely choice words for the sick star, who's now claiming it's a "high mercury count" that ended his run. "So my understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer," Mamet tells Variety.

As we told you, Piv had called in sick for several shows and, on the advice of his doctors, bailed on the show.

yummi26 - old school forever!!!

"Thermometer". BWWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Anony

Oh, it's nothing --
His douchebag-itis has probably flared up again.

Robert

'Piv' as he's called is an arrogant a$$. HBO went to his hair plugs -- I mean head! When he was on Ellen (The SitCom, not the Talk Show), I really liked him..but now, bleck!

Mackenzie

What happened to "the show must go on"...?

OGP

If it's true that he has mercury poisoning, then he was right to leave the play. That's some serious sh*t & it really messes with your cognitive abilities - kind of an important skill to have when you're doing a live show.

kan

I wonder if he's pursuing his new career as an oral or rectal thermometer. I suppose it doesn't really matter as the only difference is the taste.

rowdygirl

If the play's dialogue is like the movie version, and I'm sure it is, he probably quit because he couldn't handle it. He's not a great actor, and maybe he realized his shortcomings. You can't have a "do-over" when you're live on stage. No 2nd takes.
Doesn't seem like much of a loss.

Jen

Just released: Tony Award winner NORBERT LEO BUTZ and Emmy Award winner and Academy Award nominee WILLIAM H. MACY have come to the rescue of the acclaimed production of DAVID MAMET’s SPEED-THE-PLOW, in the wake of the unexpected departure of Jeremy Piven.

bsb fan

if the doctor says he should stop doing the show... then wtf...

leave him alone-- he probably is sick!

Ugh

Piven is such a douche.

Lynn

I'm sure it had something to do with his coke habit...

Al Jazeera

a high mercury count? Is that code for "I need to find a better gig?" "LLOYD!! CALL THE GAY MAFIA AND HAVE ONE OF YOUR BUDDIES CONFESS AN AFFAIR WITM MAMET TO A HACK AT VARIETY; DO IT NOW, OR I WILL SEW YOUR A$$ SHUT AND TELL YOUR BUDDIES YOU HAVE AIDS!"

northern gypsy

fishy is right...what's up J.P. can't handle all the dialogue ??? hey...the stage is a ball buster !!!

monkeynoodle

Maybe Piven finally realized what a horrible writer Mamet really is. Incredibly overrated, wooden dialogue, predictable plots. The Emporer has no clothes, people. Hail Piven as the hero for sabotaging this crappy writer's play. (And yes, I CAN and DO write better than Mamet. Yes, I HAVE had movies made from my scripts.)

JAA

I worked on a movie with "Piv" a few years ago and the guy has an ego unlike any actor I know. He treats below the line people like "commoners" and they should not forget they are in the presence of "royalty." More like a royal pain the ass. We use to laugh that he is short and unattractive but unaware of it. I can't watch Entourage or anything else with him it in with that smirk and deeply insincere voice....he really left an impression as you can see.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments