"Puff's" Daddy -- "Magic Negro" Shocking

12/29/2008 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

One of the hippie trippers who created "Puff the Magic Dragon" is not so mellow with "Barack the Magic Negro," the Barack Obama-related spoof of his song.

In a distinctly un-free-loving screed on Huffington Post, Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul, and Mary says "Magic Negro" is "not only offensive, it is shocking and saddening in the extreme." He adds the song "insults the office of the Presidency" and takes a kids' song and twists it into a "vulgar, mean-spirited ... slur."

Chip Saltzman, a GOP bigshot who's being considered for the top post at the Republican National Committee, sent out the song to committee members.

Ron

Does anybody even care what this song is actually even about??? The song was not even ment to make fun of Obama. The song was quoting Al Sharpton's exact coments that were taken out of the LA Times. The point of the song is to point out how obsurd and outrageous Sharpton's coments were but nobody else out there seemed to even take notice at his comments or call him out on it. The whole "Magic negro" line is a direct coment from Sharpton, it wasn't even written by the people who made the song. It is pretty interesting however that when the original coments were made by sharpton nobody seemed to mind, instead the people who are labeled recists are the ones trying to point out how outrageous the comments really were

h20

I have a question. If this has been floating around since March, why is the press just getting ahold of it now? I think corrupt politicians are trying to divide this country to distract us from paying attention to what they are doing. If you read the posts, not just on this site but on most websites, Jewish people are being pitted against Christians, blacks against whites, Republicans against Democrats, hispanics against blacks, etc. Powerful people are leaking select stories to the press with the intent of plying one racial, religious or political group against another for a specific purpose. I am starting to question anything I read on the internet, read in the paper or watch on TV. Not because I don't believe it happened, but because I want to know where the story came from, who is presenting it and why. Although I think the lyrics to this song are in poor taste and disturbing, I am left wondering who would be stupid enough to let the entire world know he had done this by letting the song get leaked out. He knew it would create an outrage. The question is why did he do it? Either he doesn't care what people think of him (unlikely for a politician) or he wanted it to have an effect. Just my opinion. Fire when ready.

jonalisa

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE START A PETITION AGAINST THIS PARODY?! I AM GOING TO IF NO ONE ELSE DOES WITHIN A DAY OR TWO. I JUST DO NOT AGREE THAT THIS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE ALLOWED. THE LAST THING THE USA NEEDS IS A NEW GENERATION OF KIDS BEING TAUGHT TO HATE SOMEONE FOR THEIR SKIN cOLOR. I AM ASHAMED OF ALL PEOPLE WHO JUST DON'T GET THE IMPORTANcE OF THIS ISSUE. WE ARE ONE HUMAN FAMILY!!! WE ARE ALL IN ONE HUMAN FAMILY ON THIS EARTH.

NJ

Song is irrelevant

Ron

Bally

Ok, the Bush bashing that has taken place over the past 8 years has not involved racial bashing, at least not on the levels that the Barack bashing has been taken to. Bush was a crap president, so people made fun of him for being a crap president. If Obama turns out to be a crap president, the same thing will happen, only some people will take the cheap shot and make it about his race rather then his abilities as president. Pointing out racial identity by using the word "Negro" in the song title is automatically making this a racial slur. It's just racial bashing because that's all the butt-hole who wrote the song could come up with. Cheap cheap shot. This is coming from a white southern girl by the way.

NJ

Ignore this song and other meaningless and baseless tricks that the wounded Conservative Party has to offer. As a past supporter of this party (no more!) I have witness personally the underhanded, dirty tricks using race and any other methods to undermine the voters work. dont fall for these childish acts people! It does not work anymore than you allow it! Stand up for something or otherwise you will fall for anything! Support your New President !

BW

I am truly amazed that people are offended by this song after the whole SNL skits and the fact that an Israli threw a shoe at our current president and people did not find that offensive to the US Presidency but people find a spoof song offensive. I just feel there are to many double standards if we insult A president then we insult ALL presidents. So if this song was about or even refered to President Bush would the word offended or offensive be mentioned. DOUBT IT!

Ron

I think everyone agrees that "Magic Negro" is an offensive term. At least reasonable people anyways. However, this was a direct quote from AL SHARPTON. not some racist white republican. You might not like how the song makes light of frase or tirvializes it. But if you are offended by the term magic negro blame Sharpton because he is the one who called Obama a Magic Negro. This song is just quoting him

Wayne Newtn

one and all,

i must resurrect my hypothesis that of which i am most known: 'Bling Splatt the Cause of Pre-Mature Death among Rappers'.

As submitted to the New England Journal of Health, the American Medical Association, National Geographic, Reader's Digest, and Redbook.

My postulate that the root cause of death among rappers is not due to black on black crime, per se. But, due to the inordinate use of metals within the framework of their upper torso, in the region of what is known on the street as 'da grill'. Commonly used metals such as silver, gold, platinum, and an occasional diamond or two (dependent upon the rappers ability to sell their wares - ie records - ) as placed in the oral cavity of said rapper, causes reactions such that mortality rates are a foregone conclusion. There is no cure for 'Bling Splatt", the diagnosis is death.

What causes 'Bling Splatt'? There is no simple answer. My theory revolves about the idea that low IO levels of said rappers combined with calcuim and phosphorous (previously stated in street slang as 'da grill') when mixed with metals and/or metallic objects react such that positively charged electrons are emitted which when released within the parietal lobe send such a large electrical pulse throughout the parietal region of the brain, that the organ cannot absorb...in essence...KABOOM !!!...the brain has exploded...ie "Brain Splatt".

Collegues at the Bellevue Mental Hospital, Def Jam Records Inc., Johns Hopkins Medical University, and Toys 'R Us are in concert with my hypothesis, theories, and ideas. They are all in agreement that more study and review is needed in this arena of medicine. I have applied for a $500 Billion bailout for study and research and a few luxury amenities for myself (Mustang Ranch, Nevada trips for me and the staff, and dubs for my Prius). President-elect Obama has been apprised of this situation and receives daily updates as to which rapper is next believed to contract the illness as such. The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Secret Service, MI6, Scotland Yard, and Elmer Fudd are conducting intelligence quotient (IO) tests on secretly on unsuspecting rappers, as we speak, in order to compile and update their existing files of low intelligence rappers.

Such a twist of fate that belies our 'mos def freestylin' word-slangin' prophets. That there by the grace of God, he shall speak. But, there by the grace of God, when he speaks with mouths full of 'bling', his head will go BOOM !!!

My services are rendered to expose the truth regards the death of our nations rappers. Word !!!

einStinE

NJ

83. Hey #82, do us all a favor and next time you decide to write such a rediculously idiotic coment please keep "Republican" out of your name. Its idiots like you who give the republican party a bad name. There are so many things wrong about your comment that I wouldn't even know where to start, and to be honest the lack of intelegance you have showed does not even dignify a response

Posted at 12:21PM on Dec 29th 2008 by Ron

RFLMAO...OK Ron.....Ron can you spell....lol...what on earth is "intelegance"

Hep

NJ

88. one and all,

einStinE

Posted at 12:36PM on Dec 29th 2008 by einStinE

He sounds like his father is his brother...........where i live that how they speak with no apparent or very little education. Unfortunate. We are going down the tubes fast!

Ron

hey AlabamaConfederate chill the @#$& out. The original comment #82, the one I was reffering to, was deleted. You are now #82 after the other comment was deleted. does your name have "Repunlican" in it? that should have been a clue that I wasn't talking about you.

R.I.P Nuggets

TMZ and Harvey Levin deletes all comments against Jews while he lets other hateful comments stay.