Chief Justice Screws Up Oath -- Obama Blanks

1/20/2009 2:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

So the oath didn't go particularly well, and here's why. Chief Justice John Roberts screwed up the second line and it seems that threw Obama off track.

Obama oath: Click to watch
The oath, found in Article II Section I of the Constitution, reads, I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States....

The Chief asked Obama to repeat these words, "...that I will execute the office of President to the United States faithfully...." It's "of" the United States and the word "faithfully" should have come before the word "execute."

After that, Obama blanked. Could this be a conservative conspiracy?

Stay tuned!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Bobbi

Conspiracy schmerecy...... the office is his by noon today regardless of the oath (that's in the constitution too)!!!!

John

Shut the hell up, Harvey!

99centz

it wazent hiz fault den!!!

Prince Von A-Hole

OH the SCANDLE the SCANDLE

karen

oh please get a life tmz. i used to love your site but come on. you dont think the damn guy was nervous too??? how many people were there and watching.

ut oh

What do you expect? He didn't have a teleprompter!!!

PHE

yep, c.j. did screw up! I caught it!! Obama wasnt going to say the wrong version of the swear!!

I think it was done on purpose....

Wow

The ceremony was really beautiful until the racist "prayer" by the second "pastor". "When white embraces what is right"? Are you kidding me? ALL people groups elected Obama! I'm deeply offended.

Lucy

this is an exciting time in history for all. I doubt it was done on purpose. congratulations to our 44th President of the United States of America, President Obama!

Melissa

No conspiracy just two nervous guys who are not used to speaking without teleprompters.

expygirl

He should of known the oath no matter what. Already making ecuses for him when he screws up.

friend

the Manchurian candidate is now programmed

Kathryn

OMG. STFU, TMZ. Picking apart every sinble word that comes out of Obama's mouth from the get go? Give the guy a chance, will you? We need to get behind this guy and make this country great again. You know we can!

Jesse

Are you kidding me? You be THE most hyped President-elect in the history of the United States with the amount of pressure on him, as well as the pastor who was speaking.. you'd be nervous as hell too!

I am EXTREMELY proud to be an American today. I strongly believe Barack H. Obama will do some great things for this country. You just need to have faith and stop whining.. whining wont change the outcome of the election, it's not going to change anything. It's just going to make you look like an ignorant fool.

Michele

Who cares if the CJ messed up the oath. All Obama had to do was repeat it! It's not like he'd have to memorize it. It just wasn't that difficult.

Oh, and to rainbow68,

I'm offended as well. What a racist comment to make!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments