Chief Justice Screws Up Oath -- Obama Blanks

1/20/2009 2:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

So the oath didn't go particularly well, and here's why. Chief Justice John Roberts screwed up the second line and it seems that threw Obama off track.

Obama oath: Click to watch
The oath, found in Article II Section I of the Constitution, reads, I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States....

The Chief asked Obama to repeat these words, "...that I will execute the office of President to the United States faithfully...." It's "of" the United States and the word "faithfully" should have come before the word "execute."

After that, Obama blanked. Could this be a conservative conspiracy?

Stay tuned!

Oats

TMZ - this is what you focus on!?!?!??! The most amazing and historic inauguration and you report on this moment. Typical!!

tlynn

10. Rainbow 68: Expand your mind a little...the pastor was speaking of past, present, & future! Let me guess, you are one of those people who have neighbors that are black right? When white embraces what is right, meaning embracing & excepting all non-whites, owning up to the wrong that was previously done to blacks. The same blacks who built the White House!! Accept & embrace that now, whites are the minority. Whether it was an honest mistake or not, Chief Justice or a lame attempt from the conservative conpiracy side, they fail to realize, still, that Obama is a very intelligent man! I would imagine you feel pretty silly now, clearly you have not realized that you are not privy to use the race card!

jeezlouise

This worship of Obama is sickening to me. Why do they praise a person for what he says he will do instead of what he has done. He has done NOTHING! Obama is an egomaniac, he will be on t.v more than any other leader, because he isnt a leader -He is a glorified pitch man. I am saddened that so many followers think that someone else has to solve their problems- Praise God- Not a Politician.

.:Loki 4Ever:.

Amazing day for American's! I am so proud to be an American!!!! Obama's speech said it all!

Kilia

You TMZ make much ado....know what I mean?

rachelle

Yesterday he told everyone he was not nervous!! I didn't watch it. Did he show up on a horse, wearing a long black coat and a stove top hat? I'll bet he walked on the water down to the Washington Monument when he was finished bumbling the oath

AQ

considering Obama and Biden both voted against Roberts and Roberts is a Bushy, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Too bad we can't kick Roberts out too.

.:Loki 4Ever:.

#21 If you cannot see the importance of this day, if you cannot hear the words and believe them, then you are against everything America is about. This IS what America stands for... unity, growth, change, knowledge, etc... Embrace the history. It saddens me that people will not look past President Obama's skin color or political party, and work on the change this country needs.

JillC

Chief Justice Roberts only had one thing to do today and he blew it! He was a Bush appointee. Maybe it's time he stepped down.

jr

No this is typcial harvey/tmz bs. Obama is an idiot and can't repeat simple english so now you have to nitpick of and to.

jeezlouise

We need to get behind this guy and make this country great again. You know we can!

Posted at 12:52PM on Jan 20th 2009 by kathryn

We need to get up and do what is necessary for ourselves- its not another persons responsibility to fix all of the things that are wrong. Why are you all so weak minded? Begging for 1 person to be the savior. You are just stupid and weak. Praising your new "Black Jesus". Just wait after 500 t.v. appearances- You will be duped and disappointed. There is no 1 person that can "fix it" Hmm, How much will Black Jesus give to the banks and big oil when they all cry to him? How much will it change anything? it wont- He is just as crooked as the rest. American Citizens are being robbed by corps and our own government- How did your free $600.00 help you? The answer is not a new leader, the answer is that we all need to take responsibility and just do the right thing. Change yourself.

freedomisnotfree

it shows that obama does not know the oath and needs a telepromter. his speech was boring but aretha franklin rock the house as well as rick warren otherwise it was a boring speech. let the puppet begin.

Melissa

11. THE CEREMONY WAS REALLY BEAUTIFUL UNTIL THE RACIST "PRAYER" BY THE SECOND "PASTOR". "WHEN WHITE EMBRACES WHAT IS RIGHT"? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ALL PEOPLE GROUPS ELECTED OBAMA! I'M DEEPLY OFFENDED.
POSTED AT 12:45PM ON JAN 20TH 2009 BY RAINBOW68

DESERVED ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GUESS HE DIDN'T SEE ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE STANDING IN THE COLD SUPPORTING THIS MAN AS PRESIDENT. BIGOTS OF ALL RACE AND DENOMINATION ARE DISGUSTING!

UrStoopid

Obama didn't "blank" he knew the Chief Justice didn't recite the oath correctly so he wasn't about to repeat it! Obama pausing only brought the mistake to the attention of the C.J which he corrected when he repeated the line.

.:Loki 4Ever:.

i'm white.. I loved the 2nd pastors speech (the old Negro song) I thought it embraced the past and the old "slang" from that time, and where we are headed as one people!