Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

Juanita

Etta James didn't write "At Last" and therefore has no claims to it. The composer (or his/her estate), I'm sure, is very pleased that the song is getting play again. Songs get covered all the time and it's immature and ridiculous for Etta to act like such a jerk.

Brian

Sorry Etta but it's not really your song. You sang, did a remarkable job and it is certainly a signiture song for you. However, you didn't write it. Yours was a cover version just as Beyonce's was a cover version. The song was written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren and was a big hit for Glenn Miller way before you came out with it. It was recorded by Nat King Cole before you came out with it. There is no disputing that Etta's version is fantastic. I much prefer Etta James circa 1960 to Beyonce circa...well, anything, However, Etta needs to get over herself. If she wrote the song and it had been used without her permission she has a gripe. Since she didn't write it, since it was written 20 years before she ever recorded it, she need to get over herself.

Proud American

For all of you that don't get it. I a light skinned black girl thing. Etta James come from the era of you are better if you are light in complexion if you are black. Etta is jealous. If you notice Aretha Franklin was there to sing, but then she is dark skinned. By the way she mentioned the President, with the remark of the big ears, She has nerve she may be famous for her song but, Beyonce worked it well. Etta James is a hood rat and a sell-out, With the blond hair and the light eyes she think she is better. Etta James is from the Damaged School! I say that for I grew up in the Old School, Meaning watching it develope Because you is stupid. I bet you she was invited to sing, but i bet she decline. She sound like a tupid woman, And she is a hood rat because she lack suffistication and class. ETTA take it from Boyence and First Lady Michelle.go to ettiquit school, Jealous Hag, HOOD RAT, SELL OUT!!!

Reine

Elta made herself look real bad. She should have kept her mouth shut.

d

I can not believe this old yak of a woman who made a living on her back, and in many instances she had to do the paying. Many people have covered songs and sang them in public. Whitney didn't write or sing first I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU or GREATEST LOVE OF ALL. What's the big deal. Etta is a prime example of how drugs do you no good. She's so out of it that she couldn't find the door to leave the building if the concert was outside. 1814

Robyn

Etta James is my new hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nonoway

You go Etta. Tell that beeeotch. Beyonce thinks she's all that ............ but she aint.

stopthepresses

I'd pay to see this fight. Two skanks ripping out each other's weaves! Too good to miss! Bring it!

CED

truly believe that Beyonnce sang at the Inaugural because 1) It was a song requested by the Obamas; 2) Beyonnce was invited to sing it because her and Jay Z had been instrumental in the Obama campaign in getting the young people out to vote (which a lot of people don't know) and 3) the movie, Cadillac Records is still showing so why not have Beyonnce sing it. People have been doing remakes for years. You either love the remakes or hate them. But, it's truly sad and unfortunate that Ms. James, a legend in her own right, feels threatened by Beyonnce. Beyonnce has honored Ms. James by portraying
her and singing her signature song to her. Ms. James will ALWAYS be known for singing "At Last." No one can take that a way. The movie pretty much educated everyone of who Ms. James is and who she came to be. Ms. James' anger should probably directed to the people who produced the movie.

Manyleaves

I love Etta. Way to go! He's not my President either.

DonnaT

I wish these old Divas - Tina, Aretha, Etta, Dionne, etc., would just go somewhere and SHUTUP! The titles and accolades bestowed upon you back in the day were acts of endearment from your fans. You had your day in the sun - IT'S OVER - move on! Furthermore, Etta James doesn't sound anything like she used to anyway; neither does Aretha Franklin. And although Etta James' version of "At Last" is excellent , OTHERS have recorded that song.

AND I'M NO BEYONCE FAN - but why is everyone picking on this young woman; she ain't done nothin' to nobody!

If I were Beyonce's manager, I would send word back to Etta - "we don't take YOUR threats lightly - back off"

SHOE SALESMAN AL BONDY

WELL , IF MS. ETTA HATES OUR PRESIDENT , SHE COULD GO TO MOSCOW TO SINGING HER RUSSIAN SONG TO HER RUSSIAN PRESIDENT WITH RUSSIAN PEOPLE .............................

Edumacated

"170. You know what is worse, is that everybody is getting on here
being critical to Beyonce'. Nobody ask Etta James' old cracked out
a$$ to perform anything. To "Edjumacated", stop hatin' and actually
get EDUCATED. "
Posted at 10:11AM on Feb 5th 2009 by yallshutup
***********************************************************

I can assure you, Mr./Ms. Yallshutup, I was better educated by the age of nine than you shall be on your deathbed. For example, I am aware that the correct preposition in your introductory sentence should have been "of," not "to" -- I am critical OF the TALENTLESS Beyonce. Also, the word is "asked" (past tense). I don't have enough time to delineate the wealth of additional fourth-grade grammatical errors in your post, but the ability to write and speak basic English is, at minimum, required on your part if you seek to judge the educational backgrounds of others.

Now, I have no idea what you and others refer to by your use of the pseudo-word "hatin'". I am "critical" of anyone who is able to persuade those of little intellect (like YOU and the rest of the unwashed masses) to believe they are "artists," while those with actual TALENT are overshadowed (the elevation of "fluff" over skill). Now, dear friend, I have just given you an example of how one whio is truly EDUCATED expresses herself. And YOU are now free to respond in the usual semi-literate "ghetto" lingo that, sadly, passes for English these days.

Sandra

Eta James is remarkable and I always thought a true dame but NO longer! Her comments are dispicable not only to Beyonce but to the President of the United States. She didn't have to drag herself to the mud like that because she is upset she wasn't chosen to sing to the President. In all honesty, I would be upset if my song was sang by someone else but she wasn't upset that Beyonce portrayed her in a movie because her pocket was nice and fat with that!!!!!!!!!!!!! As an older singer, she should have been more graceful.....

pete

Beyonce is dumb as a box of rocks