Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

Mr Right

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!
BEYONCE SUCKS!!!
SO SO overrated its disgusting!
Why people can listen and to her horrible "music" is beyond me!

Angel2480

I HATE it when ANYBODY sings "At Last" other than Etta James. Beyonce just does not have the pipes for this song..Her voice is ordinary. Certain songs should just be left alone and not redone, remade, remixed, re-whatever. At Last and Unchained Melody are 2 of them.

1998 days ago

Trophy wife Slim and Trim!!!!

Etta James is a two bit WHORE...how dare she criticize Beyonnce!

Now what now?

This is not shocking. Etta James is a diva like all other divas. I think it really was a little insensitive to have Beyonce sing her legendary song at the historic inauguration while she is still alive and could have done it herself. I don't think she is a McCain supporter. I think that her huge diva ego was hurt. No doubt Beyonce will be the exact same way when she is Etta's age.

Elle

Etta James is magnificent. Beyonce is plastic flowers. If Obama had anything between those big ears he would have asked Etta James to sing that song at his inauguration.

1998 days ago

Trophy wife Slim and Trim!!!!

Wonder what caused Etta's throat is raspy from all the men she has pleasured...She isn't worthy to (God please forgive me for saying this) lick Beyonnce's rather hefty rear!

whatever

The problem with singers today is they cant come up with anything good on their own. Too many just redo old songs and screw them up. Why should she be any different. Ettas version is classic and should have been left alone. Beyonces songs wont be in the aame league as this one in 30 years and people will say Beyonce who?

surreal

I like this woman. I've never understood all the fuss about Beyonce.

Mo

What a skanky bitch Etta is. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. I am not a big Beyonce fan but she is way too beautiful to have portrayed that ugly troll Etta. She is just NASTY inside and out!

Josh Fan in Franklin, TN

Etta James is a living legend - so why wasn't she (instead of Beyonce) asked to sing HER signature song at the event?
No wonder Etta's pissed - she was dissed, and I'd be pissed too!
BTW, what IS it with Beyonce "imitating" so many living legends these days? Did you see her sing "The Way We Were" at the Kennedy Center Honors? Streisand did NOT look amused. Beyonce watch out for those old broads - they may whoop her ass!

M in Maryland

I thought Ms. James comments were ignorant, ghetto and unbecoming to
the legend she thinks she is! Yeah, it was her song originally, but
it was re-made and I LOVED BEYONCE's version, it rocked my world.
Her voice range and quality is wonderful! After I saw Cadillac
Record's (2 x's mind you) I went to Youtube and listened to Etta's
original and sorry, it is truly no contest. My husband, who is also
a movie and music buff, and very conservative agreed.

Etta, you are too old to be acting so stupid. You weren't
complaining when Beyonce put you back on the map. Be graceful and
keep your ugly mouth shut if it isn't going to uplift anyone. I
don't think you want to be remembered like this, so please clean this
shi_ up, for your own good and your legacy.

I'm sorry you weren't on stage since obviously it hurt and angered
you. But now you've showed your true colors and illustrated that you
are not a REAL woman and is able or willing to suck it up, and smile like a woman of class
would do, this is an embarrassment. SHAME. This was your chance to
shine where you stand, now who the hell do you think is REALLY going
to want to hear you sing now after attacking two people so
mercilessly, who was not trying to hurt you?

Maybe you still are the low class person that was portrayed in the movie.
I guess some things/people just don't change.

My .2

celia

look I don't know WHAT Obama's people where thinking. I mean NO ONE sings At Last like Etta James. Not even the original singer and writer Ella Fitzgerald could sing it better than Etta. I was in shock when I heard Beyonce sang it at the ball.

al loanese

SCREW THIS OLD BITCH THAT WILL BE DEAD IN A FEW YEARS ANYWAY....BEYONCE WILL BEAT THE CRAP OUTTA THIS OLD BAG LADY. ETTA TOU ARE AS STUPID AS YOUR FAT MOUTH!

Walter

It's a song. Get over it bitch.

Rebie Johnson

WELL, DAMN!!!!! BEYONCE WAS SINGING THE SONG FROM THE MOVIE, AND IF I SAY SO MYSELF, I THOUGHT SHE DID A HELLAVA JOB. SHE'S NOT THE FIRST NOR WILL SHE BE THE LAST TO SING SOMEONE ELSE'S SONG. I'M SURE ETTA KNOWS THERE IS ALWAYS A SOUNDTRACK TO MOST MOVIES. GET OVER IT(EVEN THO I LIKE ETTA'S VERSION TOO)