Miley Digs Herself a Hole All the Way to China

2/5/2009 11:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hanoi Montana doesn't seem to get why people think she's mocking Asians in this picture.

Miley Cyrus

During a half-ass non-apology she just posted on her website, Miley claims she was simply making "goofy faces" with her friends and "In NO way was I making fun of any ethnicity." Ok, it's a plausible explanation ... BUT WHY ISN'T THE ASIAN DUDE MAKING THE FUNNY FACE?

Hanoi then deflects responsibility even more by joking that the only reason people are mad is because "... now that Britney is back on top of her game again, they need someone to pick on!"

Her full statement can be read after the jump.

"Ive also been told there are some people upset about some pictures taken of me with friends making goofy faces! Well, Im sorry if those people looked at those pics and took them wrong and out of context!

In NO way was I making fun of any ethnicity! I was simply making a goofy face. When did that become newsworthy? It seems someone is trying to make something out of nothing to me. If that would of been anyone else, it would of been overlooked! I definitely feel like the press is trying to make me out as the new 'BAD GIRL'!"

I feel like now that Britney is back on top of her game again, they need someone to pick on! Lucky me! haha Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know what is on my heart. You guys know me and have been by my side every step of the way!

You guys know my heart and know the most important things to me are my friends, family, fans, and GOD! In NO WAY do I want to disappoint any of you! But, when I have made mistakes in the past, I feel like Ive owned up to them and apologized.

Anyway, I really wish everyone would stop focusing on my personal life and get back to focusing on what I love! Music and Acting! Hopefully, I will be touring again this fall! Yayy! =] It will be a nice change to be back out on the road again!"

xoxo Blessings.. Miley =)

J

I am not defending the little wench, but from how I see the phone, while they are making slanted eyes to "appear" Asian, the Asian guy is widenening his eyes, as almost to make it seem like he is "un-Asian" Role-reversal, sort of.

But, it is what it is, WHO CARES?!

Lee

I think it's hilarious how many of you actually take offense to this. I use to do that all the time when I was a kid and I also use to tease my black friends by telling them we have velcro on our ceilings at home. But I'm not racist. I own a colored television for crying out loud. :)
Get over yourselves and quit being so go**amn PC all the time.
I think what they were trying to say but nobody has picked up on it was that they're all Chinese Eyed. Meaning they were all high. Looks that way to me anyhow. Their eyes are VERY glossy.

Cera

It looks to me like they are making Chinese eyes because they are stoned! The only brown guy there has bloodshot eyes! And what you can see of their eyes looks pretty red and glossy to me!! And what EXACTLY is Justin holding in his hand?! Pretty suspicious if you ask me!

Jflo

Omg you people are so uptight!Im half asian and it does not bother me.We all made fun of people when we were younger get over it!And as far as her having an older boyfriend I was 16 when I got w/ my hubby.He was 24 and we have been married for 12yrs since I was 18.And we did not have sex till our wedding night.So just leave this poor girl alone!!

bobolongjams

I feel dumber after reading some of the responses I've read on here.

Her age and perceived intent do not excuse her actions. If she had uttered the word "n**ger" or "sp*c", but it was just for fun, would it still be okay? Making fun of another ethnicity shouldn't be excusable, especially if your excuse is "we were goofing around". The Spanish National Basketball team caught the same amount of flak for doing the exact same thing last year.

J

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that it appears that her bf may be holding a pipe. Maybe they are hinting they are high and they are "chinky-eyed", which is a sterotypical saying when you are high and your eyes are low and heavy.

Lee

Chinese, Dirty Knees, Look at these!! You know that childrens rhyme, right? Wait...most of you are probably new to America but it use to be our favorite past time as kids.

ash

did anyone notice that there is actually an asian person in the picture? i'm sure that they aren't upset about it. everyone is just a bit judgemental. no reason for an apology.

hateher

chinese eyes, smoking pot, HELLO. Her people are just covering up the fact that she is high.

RaWr

Clearly she was making some type of face that was inappropriate, not just a 'goofy face' as she likes to state. You can tell by the expression on the Asian man's face... he looks shocked about something someone said/did while taking the picture. Maybe the camera man said "Make a goofy Asian face!" or something along the lines. He is the only one that looks like '=O omg' and the rest look like complete ass'.

This is not innocent fun, it has offended a lot of people and Miley is a supposedly role model. I see alcohol in one of the guys hands, the real question is... Were they ALL drinking even though she's underage? Anyone that uses the 'shes a kid' excuse is just as immature as she is. There is no excuse for it regardless of your age! Your basically telling people that it's okay no matter what your age to act racist. I'm not Asian, I'm Caucasian and I find it racist.

Britney Spears may have f*ed up in the past few years however I'm positive Miley shouldn't affiliate herself in Britney's category of fame.. lol. Also, how lame can you be to apologize over a BLOG when your 'famous' and I use that term lightly.

AJ

for those who are comparing slanting your eyes to tanning, or putting bologna on your head, or eating fried chicken and watermelon...you are just as ignorant as miley. pulling up the corners of your eyes to imitate an asian person is like painting your face black and sticking huge lips on your face to imitate a black person. throughout history, these physical traits have been negatively associated w/ these races. that is why this picture created such an uproar. and this chick is what..16? at 3, i could see you calling this "a kid just having fun" but at 16, it's just plain ignorant.

jordana

lol, i think it is pretty obvious that most of the kids are stoned......."chink eyed"??????

janet

Please, give me a break, anyone with half a brain knows if you put your fingers on your eyelids and pull them like that you are mocking Asians. She is still a stupid teenagers who is gonna say stupid things and make stupid mistakes. She is after all a hillbilly/redneck, whatver you want to call it.

valerie

What's up with the guy on the right with a drink in his hand (looks like wine to me!) Anywho, Miley is white trash it's in her genes. Her dad's a redneck and her Mom has 6 kids and 3 have different daddy's! Hee Haw Yall!!!!!!

M

The most offensive thing about it is that the little twit doesn't understand how this is racially charged. How stupid can you be?