Letterman Falls for the Joaquin Sideshow

2/12/2009 3:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joaquin Phoenix brought his phony stony act to David Letterman last night -- and while Letterman thought he was catching the wannabe rapper in an altered/inebriated state, it's Dave who was likely hoodwinked.

Joaquin & Letterman: Click to watch
We've been on to Joaquin's scam for weeks now -- no doubt he's shooting a mockumentary with Casey Affleck ... pretending he's quitting acting to become a rap star -- even though his singing sucks -- and showing how the media will fall for it.

In Dave's defense -- he ripped the guy apart, ending the interview with "Sorry Joaquin couldn't be here tonight."

Brad Pitt: Launch Photos

Razorback

Dave is the Best!!!!!!!!!

I love MOZ!!!!!

I think it was an act. He saw what happen to his brother. Joaquin has a very dark sense of humor and I think he's having a laugh at all of us which is funny as hell. I still love you Joaquin. Look me up Maudlin

d to the izzle

Looks like a really piss poor imitation of Zach Galifianakis, only he sucks and Zach is hilarious.

I love MOZ!!!!!

Also, I loved that he stuck his gum under Dave's desk. That was funny!

jfp

Letterman started the interview by insulting him!!!
Joaquin is a shy person that was made to feel uncomfortable from the start!!
So screw Letterman and the audience that was there.

91605GUY

COMEDY GENIUS!!!!!

word.

Something tells me Dave was far from "hoodwinked." You're talking about a man who was in the front row for The Andy Kaufman Experience. Give the old man some credit.

Missy

All I can say is WOW!

Larry Galargi

He's a genius! Of course it's all an act. I think the interview accomplished exactly what it was supposed... made me laugh, made me squirm in embarrassment, and made me wonder if it was real.

loika

David Letterman was not hoodwinked at all! He knew what the deal was with this guy. He reads the papers and knew that this would make GREAT television. Which it did! What ever the deal is with Phoenix, Letterman was the PERFECT guy to do the interview.

jfp

I liked the gum bit too!
Letterman is an old worn out bag of rotting flesh. He got a few laughs at someone else's expense but insults are easy if you have a mic.

SusE

If you have't heard - this is complete BS. Similar to Borat, Spinal Tap and many before him, it's a ruse. This is nothing new and Pheonix looks like an idiot in his transparent attempt at social experimentation with the media. It's not funny or original.

Piper

I used to love Phoenix, but he is just a crackpot. Please get rid of this image. This used to be my dream guy until I saw him on Letterman.

Mel

At first I thought he was stoned, but I think it is all an act. At the end when he shakes Dave's hand he pulls of the sunglasses to talk to him- just as they cut out to commercial. He is a great actor... this is the most idiotic thing he could have done!

Me!

An act.

I agree with #29 - this is not funny nor original.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments