Chuck Mangione's Bandmates Die in Fatal Crash

2/13/2009 3:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chuck MangioneTwo members of Chuck Mangione's band were among those who died in the plane crash in Buffalo last night.

A publicist for the famous jazz musician identified the band members as Gerry Niewood and Coleman Mellett. Through a rep, Mangione said, "I'm in shock over the horrible, heartbreaking tragedy."

The band was supposed to play a show in Buffalo tonight. That show has been canceled.

What the

sucks

2046 days ago

smsprite

Damn shame. These were both fine musicians and it is such a loss to the music community. Gerry was an amazing doubler that played Soprano, Alto & Tenor sax, Flute, piccolo & Alto Flute.

I was fortunate to see these guys perform last year. They will be missed.

2046 days ago

oh yaaaaaaaaaaa

ya, well tht is just 2 of 48 other sad stories..btw...tht plane flew thru a red cell just before the crash, their wings iced up and were doomed, very sad indeed.

2046 days ago

stumpp

Feels so bad...

2046 days ago

Send My Kids To College!!

I just saw Chuck in concert last month. Gerry and Coleman were having the time of their lives on that stage. My prayers go out to their families, and their bandmates.

2046 days ago

NiceGuy

OH Wow,Kinda reminds me of the 1977 plane crash that took some members of the Lynerd Synard band!So sad.

2046 days ago

Mitchell Parker

I had the pleasure of meeting Gerry Niewood, Chuch Mangione and Steve Gadd many years ago. I actually had a rather lengthy conversation with the three of them and being a musician myself our talk really had a major impact on me. I always remembered back to the four of us laughing and talking music. Living in Buffalo as I do, I just heard today at 4:00pm that Gerry Niewood was on that plane. My heart instantly broke. My heart goes out to Gerry's family and although I never met Coleman Mellet, I had heard him play, and my thoughts go to his family as well.

2046 days ago

me

God called out to the Great Bird in the sky.......I need you, ..come now, And In his Glory ....they came...

2046 days ago

Friend

Going way back to Barley School of Music...You will be missed Gerry

2046 days ago

BuffaloWings

This show has NOT been cancelled. It has been postponed. They will be playing in Buffalo in the future and the show will be a tribute show.

2045 days ago

why?

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

2045 days ago

Juggernaut

Our heart goes out to Chuck, the rest of his band and all the other passengers families. The song "Feels So Good", is especially special to me and my own memories. Take care All!

2045 days ago

LongJohn69

The show has been canceled? No Sh_t, Sherlock!!!

2045 days ago