Ed McMahon Struggles for Survival

3/2/2009 2:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ed McmahonEd McMahon is in bad shape in ICU with pneumonia, bone cancer, and other medical problems. There are reports Ed only has days left. Here's a statement we just got from Ed's publicist, Howard Bragman. Take it at face value or read between the lines.

"I'm not a medical doctor, I'm a spin doctor, so I'm not able to give a diagnosis here. But, what I can tell you is this: I've seen many people come up to Ed over the years and say, 'You were a Marine.' Ed would look them in the eye and say, 'I AM a Marine.' What that means for his current medical challenges is the same thing it's meant for every challenge he's ever faced in life. It means he's a fighter -- not a quitter. It means he's confronting it head-on with strength, courage and dignity. I would ask that those who care about Ed say a prayer, remain hopeful and send their good wishes, because Colonel McMahon is still fighting the good fight. Ed, his family, and friends are looking forward to celebrating his 86th birthday Friday."

MNotAmused

I agree, once a Marine, always a Marine. I am saddened about the struggle Ed went through with keeping his home in recent months. He should be remembered for his tireless work each year for the Muscular Distrophy Telethons with Jerry Lewis each Labor Day and his other charitable work. Semper Fidelis, Always Faithful. God Bless you, Ed.

Tiger's Help Sucks Too

All the best wishes for your health and happiness, Mr. M.

VioletteUK

God speed and may peace be with you.

aww

Oh he's so sweet and adorable. I hope he makes it to his birthday and many more. God Bless you Mr. McMahon. Get well.

BEve

Mr Ed - many prayers and blessings for you and your family. YOU will be sadly missed if you decide to go.

Love ya big guy!

Brian

Ed, you have entertained the world for many years. I remember as a child watching you and Johnny late at night with my mom. I could not get over how funny you two were! Johnny is looking down with open arms saying, let's get the show back on the road big guy! Let's make Jesus laugh now! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

YOU ARE A FOOL

May you die and rot in H_E_L_L for helping to scam millions of feeble-minded gullible old people over the many years with your 'Publissher's ClearingHouse' scam. You are a disgusting talentless azzwipe for blowing your millions on boozing and whoring.

Bethany Sweet

Go, Ed McMahon. Go to the light!

Nicole

This man has been in an ICU for over a month. That means he's been hooked up to a ventilator and all kinds of other crap for that long as well. He's almost 86 years old. Let him go see Jesus already!

YOU ARE A FOOL

what makes you think he'll be seeing Jesus???

tomcat

It's sad, but when a person is over 80 and very sick, you have to be more prepared to let go.

Also sad, is there's not too many Rat Pack era stars left now.

dingydingy

Come on ya'll - OK it's fact - we all live; we all die. But can you show a little compassion here. This lovely man has been a television icon - right along with his compadre, Johnny. I can remember as a little kid hearing Johnny and Ed coming from the tv in the living room well after my parents put us to bed for the night. I agree that when it's our time, we should be allow to leave this earth with some dignity and shouldn't be kept around in a vegetative state but you gotta remember this is a choice thing and a very personal thing I might add. He's been a part of television history and as a result, lived a great deal of what would have been private struggles for any of us, in public life. Let's let him and his family know that he has always been appreciated; they are in our prayers; and, if he is called from this world, he has been loved and will be sorely missed.

a real american

Hi Ed
I watched you for many years growing up with my parents and you always put a smile on my face the way that you Johnny
interacted was fun to watch! Fight the good fight and if it is your time make sure you are right with God I know that is not
the in thing in todays society but God is real ask God to come in and forgive you of your sins and he will he is a Gentlman he will never force his self on our free will !! And if he calls you Home then waiting on the other side we be no more sickness and pain !! Leaving comments like this is not something that I do but I felt compelled to do so !! My thoughts and Prayers our with you !!

ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP

Sad

Poopy

Okay Ed, its time for you to go join Johnny in the lake of fire.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments