Details of Natasha Richardson's Ski Accident

3/17/2009 1:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

natasha richardsonWe now know what happened to Natasha Richardson on the ski slope when she was critically hurt yesterday, suffering a brain injury.

We're told she was having a private lesson on a green slope (beginner) at a ski resort in Quebec, Canada. She fell -- we're not sure why. There was no blood and no sign of impact. Two ski patrollers came to her rescue. When they got there she was conscious -- smiling and making jokes.

An hour later, Natasha started to complain of a headache and said she didn't feel well. Someone from the resort called 911, and she was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Natasha was conscious when she left the resort.

Michael Madsen

Dear, Natasha, rest in peace.
Condolances to her family and friends.

who has the facts? ME

If it is true that she has passed away, how horribly awful for Liam and her two little boys. They are only 12 and 13 years old. I lost my Dad when I was 11, it's something you NEVER get over. My heart goes out to her family, they must be in shock.

Igor Loves Green Cheese

lucky for Liam Neeson, that half-German-movie-gender-bending-freak, for he had the luck of the Irish, that of greeeeeeeen cheeeeeeeeeese!

Teri

She could have been slowing bleeding inside her head after the injury. This is why head injury victims are carefully observed for at least 24 hoursa after the injury. She & her family are in my prayers.

Dan

If she dies then you flip commentators will look really silly.

Kelsey

I just read that she passed away aswell, soo tragic. r.i.p

kat

You people need to have a little more respect...it was just announced that she died as a result of her injuries.

plw

Could be a subdural hematoma. My friend got one after a minor fall to the pavement. It almost killed her.

Marlow

I hope it is a minor incident, I am surprised no one has mentioned whether she hit her head on the "snow". Quebec mountains are known for their ice this time of year. I wouldn't be surprised if the "snow" was rock hard and any fall on ice is painful and dangerous. As a skier we always watch someone who has hit their head and give them IBUPROFEN to stem any inflammation.

mickey

I was just telling this to my friend who is a critical care registered nurse and she said it sounds like she had a brain aneurism that blew.

a realist

To #15 - I think you read way too much into my comment. I was simply stating who she is (and btw, she's still alive) and commenting on a possible reason for her hospitalization.

a realist

sorry - meant to direct my comment to #16 Damn Funny, which, btw, you're not

Not very funny

A brain injury is very serious and isn't always present immediately after the impact. There could've been bleeding which was undetected on the outside. If she is in critical condition, there's no knowing if or how much she'll recover. My husband was in a skiing accident and was in a coma for almost 2 weeks. When he finally woke up he had to re-learn how to walk, talk, drive, and become independent. The process is very long and no one knows when it will end. Luckily, after 4 years or more he is fully functional, but still experiences memory loss, hearing issues and many anxiety issues. I hope that she is ok, but none of the information is saying what her status is. does anyone know?

lisa

Seriously how does this mean it's a brain injury??? Can someone elaborate for me???