Michelle Obama -- Fashion Diva or Disaster?

4/4/2009 1:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sweatergate 2009! Michelle Obama wore a sweater when she met with Queen Elizabeth II this week, and her wardrobe choice has kicked up major drama in the fashion world.

Obama

The First Lady often wears affordable American brand clothes to events, and apparently Oscar de la Renta isn't happy about it. He told Women's Wear Daily, "You don't...go to Buckingham Palace in a sweater."

But in this economy, if the First Lady wears clothes most Americans can afford -- isn't that a good thing?

hum

This guy on myspace (young "buddy" peete) went off on me b/c I said Michelle O looks like a tranny! I'm glad it's folks on here who actually agree with me b/c the folks @ mto put my ass on blast!!!

1934 days ago

liz

Please do not place her in the same group as JACQUELINE KENNEDY. Mrs. Kennedy had more class in her at 8 then this woman could have in a life time. I wish people would stop comparing them together. And to pick on the Queen at her age what would you have her in? Mrs Obama could have picked a spring dress with a lovely simple necklace lets say with her girl’s birthstones, in it. She dressed better for her Official White House Photo, (She looked wonderful in that photo) then for the Queen, please. She is the wife of our President and she should have dressed better then she did.

1934 days ago

PhillyYelp

Oscar de la Renta's assertion that the First Lady ought to fill her wardrobe with designs from the world's top fashion houses given the state of the world economy sounds more like a request to help bailout yet another struggling industry. Also, I mean no disrespect toward the world's most elite fashion experts, yet Oscar's public rebuke of the First Lady's choice of attire while visiting Q#2 is much more about his own sense of self-importance than the First Lady's fashion ignorance. The choice of attire by everyone in the above photo would have been considered an abomination two hundred plus years ago. Moreover, the First Lady's attire was conservatively modern, elegant, humbly refined, and completely respectable. In fact, the only serious error in judgement came from Oscar de la Renta, for the dismissive tone of his criticism was completely disrespectful given First Lady's symbolic stature given the First Lady's minor fashion forward assertiveness. Given his intentional lack of diplomacy, it would be a minor miracle if the First Lady hires him to design a fashionably appropriate bandaide to wear during visits with important heads-of-state. Finally, had Q#2 considered the First Lady's attire to be reasonably inappropriate, the First Lady would have bee given plenty of notice and time to change.

1934 days ago

PhillyYelp

I just looked at my blog posting, and I noticed some mistakes. Whoops! Not to change the subject, but at what point in history did it become fashionably acceptable for the royal head of England to assert a firm handshake? For that matter, why should any American concern him or herself with the chosen attire of the First Lady during visits with foreign dignitaries unless such attire elevates the sovereignty of a foreign head of state over our own. Please people... get a grip, and stop acting like the First Lady entered HRM OF ENGLAND's private residence wearing a doo rag and a t-shirt.

1934 days ago

DaveNTexas

She looks like the Grinch that stole Christmas! Beady Eyes, big cheeks and scrunched up mouth. You're a mean one Misses Grinch! Where are the Woos when we need them?

1933 days ago

stopthepresses

478. DO ANY OF YOU WHO CHOOSE TO USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO SEND RACIAL SLURS BECAUSE OF WHAT SHE'S WEARING IS JUST SO SAD. IN THE FIRST PLACE MICHELLE IS A SUMA LATTE..FROM PRINSTON AND A GRADUATE OF HARVARD LAW SCHOOL, SO iIM SURE THAT SHE COULDNT CARE LESS ABOUT WHO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT HER. aLSO I THINK THE OUTFIT SHE WORE IS FINE.

Posted at 11:15AM on Apr 7th 2009 by Mrs. Smith
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Uh Oh! Bammy supporter, sure as heLL! She's a Suma Latte? Is that a coffee? She went to Prinston? Where is that? You do more to hurt the image of the Obama's than they could ever do themselves, and that is saying a LOT! BTW, it wasn't just relatively "cheap" ugly designers she wore - she also wore Dior - so she is using some high-end designers. Too bad it didn't help! Can't put lipstick on a pig!

1933 days ago

monica

michelle o looks like a Tranny! I think the Queen is holding her fist tightly because she is uncomfortable with these people who obviously are WAY out of their league. Like it or not, there are customs ad protocol for dealing with the English Royal Family, including not touching the Queen unless she makes the overature to do so, which is rare. These protocols must be taken seriously, whether we like them or not. That's just the way it is.

1933 days ago

Tom

Does Michelle Obama have a contract with J. Crew. They sure get a lot of free publicity riding on her popularity.

1933 days ago

monica

del, now, now, I wouln't exactly call michelle a dim witted whore because probably no male on Earth would touch this fugly, gangly thing, aside from her hubby, dumbo.

Sassycxrim - you are totally right - if she isn't a transvesite, she may as well be. her body is all male and her face is all bulldog - doesn't matter what race or combo thereof she is. where do these posters get race from people just posting their true feelings? just because we differ in opinion makes us racists? O well, the obam socialism thought police have arrived -if you disagree you are branded. wait till the goosesteppers come for us...

1933 days ago

CHUCK"D"

Its sad that in 2009 we still have people who don't like people because of the color of their skin and not the content of their character.I would stake my life on the fact that all these haters are white folks who still can't get over the fact that the president and first lady are black.I remember hearing and old white guy say it would be a cold day in hell before we had a black president,well put your f*cking coats on that cold day is here.Most of you haters are poor white trash who will hate anybody who dresses better or looks better than your ugly asses,get a life don't hate the players hate the game FOR REAL!!!

1933 days ago

P

I think she is ugly as hell!!!! If people think she is beautiful they are definitely on something. She has absolutely no fashion sense whatsover! She never did and never will. she has no clue! What a disaster!!!

1932 days ago

justagirl

I for one am so tired of the They Who Can Do NO Wrong! But I have to say as an American, In a huge RECESSION, Times are tought, Money is tight, how am I going to make it Time; I am glad our First Lady has enough "whatever" to wear "affordable" "stylish" "nice" clean and elegant clothes. Let's face it do we want a First Lady spending tens of thousands of dollars on "one time only" outfits to be worn at such things? I'm sorry but d'''n it we don't need it. We need a First couple who is willing to walk it with us so to speak. And you know what, she looked great. She always does (and no I am not a fan by any means). And if the Queen didn't have her flogged for the outfit or the hug everyone else can go jump in a lake. Espec old snobby French designers who don't like the Americans anyway.

1932 days ago

peps

John whats his name and Palin fans have not gotten over losing the election. Haha

I love Michelle's personality, wit and humour. She needs help in hairstyle and fashion though. But I love her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1932 days ago

awwwwwwww

the fatassed skank is a disaster.

rachelle

#105 (country that upholds traditions- Unlike America who up holds no TRADITIONS............oh excuse me we do, the tradition of judging people based on frivilous criteria, hate, sex, drugs, violence, racism, IMMORAL & UNETHICAL TRADITIONS & last time I checked ALL MAN were created equal and there is no other GOD to serve but the creator of u & me ---& the entire universe. So much respect to the so called Queen but as for me & my house we will serve the LORD.

1931 days ago