Ed McMahon Deposition -- Pain in the Neck

4/28/2009 7:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ed McMahonEd McMahon is dealing with a life and death struggle with bone cancer ... now there are new legal issues he must deal with.

Ed is suing Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in L.A. for allegedly misdiagnosing a broken neck. Cedars wants to take Ed's deposition. If Ed doesn't sit for his deposition, his case can be thrown out of court.

In legal papers filed with the court and obtained by TMZ, Ed's lawyer wrote a letter to the Cedars' lawyer saying Ed would be available for a depo, but it would have to be taken at the UCLA Medical Center because that's where he's been bedridden in ICU for three months.

The letter states, "He is not able to leave his hospital bed. Please suggest appropriate dates next week. Please be advised that Ed remains in ICU so medical precautions will be necessary at the direction of the attending UCLA staff."

Robert Starr

My comment is simple. To the people who made the anti-Jewish and anti-"Mexican" comments, why don't you post your real names, like I have, so the world can know that you are nasty biggots. What a terrible thing to say that "Mexicans" do not pay for their medical bills, and that Jews like to sue people. By the way, most of the people that biggots refer to as Mexicans are not even from Mexico. So, here is the deal, anyone who thinks in this day and age that there is something wrong with Jews, "Mexicans" or any other religious or ethnic group, please go throw yourself in traffic, the world would be better off without you. And, by the way, to the biggots who wrote their thoughts in this string, go post your real names, I

Robert Starr

To the biggots that posted the anti-Jewish and anti-"Mexican" remarks, if you really believe that all Jews like to sue people, and all "Mexicans" do not pay their bills, go throw yourself in traffic, the world would be a better place without you. And, why don't you show some real courage and post your real name, like I did, so that everyone who reads this string can see how much of a biggot you are. It is amazing to me that there are still people out there who harbor these negative feelings towards groups of people just because of religion, national origin, etc. And by the way, most of those "Mexicans" that such biggots refer to are not even from Mexico, they are from another South American country. But, I am sure that this fact does not matter to a biggot who is just trying to make himself or herself feel better by insulting another group of people. Come on people, lets speak out against the hate. Havent we seen enough of it, the Holocaust, Slavery, Armenian Genocide, etc.

Tink44

Again, nobody cares! First! Haaaa!

TMZ hits a new low

Hold on a minute! Ed McMahon wouldn't reveal how he hurt his neck, but then eventually, on either Leno or Letterman (I think Letterman because I never watch Leno), he said he fell at home. And he wore a neck brace forever. Seems like a logical medical move! Older guy falls, hurts neck...get a neck brace and has to take it easy! You don't fall down and typically get diagnosed with bone cancer. I think Ed is so very desperate for funds for himself and his wife that he's grasping at straws, ah, grasping at deep pockets. I hope Cedar lawyers up in a big hurry and defends itself vigorously. Very poor form, Ed.

LeaveHimAlone

He is so desperate for money he will sue a hospital? Friggin Sad RIP Ed

Princess Mononoke of She-Rah

ARE WE SURE HE'S NOT A JEW??? suing a hospital??? what an ass, he just never wanted to move out of the that big fat house of his when he couldnt pay the mortgage - BECAUSE, ED, YOU ARE ARROGANT AND PROUD.

so go die, you're human just like everyone else you idiot.

Ms. Hysterical

The bone cancer will kill him long before this case is settled. Even if he has a legitimate case, the hospital's lawyers will drag this out until Ed is gone.

Sono

I'm sorry, but it's impossible to miss a broken bone with todays technology as far as Radiological imaging is concerned. His lawsuit is BS, end of story. Frivolous lawsuits like this are one of the main reasons as to why the US Health Care industry is so expensive at the moment. It's not b/c of the actual COST OF CARE, it's b/c of the insurance that the Health Care Providers have to carry that our costs are so steep. I usually root against the hospitals, but I hope they counter sue him in this case.

Rachel

To # 5- So only jews sue hospitals?

THEMOMMA

I WANT TO KNOW WHO'S PAYING FOR HIS STAY AT UCLA IN THE INTENSIVE CARE UNIT ?????? THAT'S GONNA COST THE TAXPAYERS OF CALIFORNIA A BUNDLE ........... CUS THE OL' GUY HAS NOOOOOOOO , ZERO, ZIP, NADA , MONEY .......

Rachel

To # 9 - Yeah, totally didn't catch that.

g-dawg

Whatever is going on with Ed McMahon... and I hope everything is okay for him because bone pain is unlike any physical pain one can experience... that's pretty sheisty that a hospital is insisting that a terminally ill completely bed-ridden invalid sit for a deposition. It's obviously a sick, disgusting and unfortunately typical move to get his case thrown out. 99% of the time it works because most people in that position don't have anyone to fight to get those a-holes to come to them. So they drag the case out until the person dies. Sick, sick bastards. And you people are appalled that he would sue a hospital. NEWS FLASH: Hospitals are like any other business, created for profit and nothing more. They do not care about the people they are supposed to help. All they care about is the bottom line. Once again... tmz audience making Americans look uneducated and ignorant. Stop commenting if you have an I.Q. of less than 80 or couldn't get past a third grade reading level (or refuse to read anything of any substance beyond People or The Enquirer). Seriously, America has enough bad press already. Have whoever reads the big words for you on TMZ read this to you and please take it seriously.

g-dawg

And oh yeah... serious replies only.

Sono

#12 You are an idiot...not that anyone who would bother to take the time to read your garbage would think anything less.

Rachel

#12 is on crack. Would Ginny care to share her IQ? I mean, it's obviously astronomical. Maybe she should use her intellect on a far more reputable website. She's clearly too good for us. I guess I'll go back to my People magazine now...I can't read but I like the pretty pictures.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments