Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

atlantagirl

just saw Danny at the Wynn a month ago............loved the show, and very impressed by the cleanliness of the show......good news is he obviously was a Christian, hard-working family man.......at least we know he has a place in Heaven! God bless his family and children......he will be missed.

Mike F

I took my wife to see Gans on this past Weds night. I had no idea we would be seeing his last show. I saw him a few years back and thought he had gained about 30 lbs. When he walked on stage I even commented that to my wife. At the end of his show, he always thanks the audience for allowing him to be able to work at night and be with his family all day. He showed a slide show of his wife an kids. His parting words were, "I am the luckiest man in the world. God Bless You All"

Nia

This guy was a great ENTERTAINER period. It's so touching and cool to read all these comments from people who feel the exact same way I do about him. It's just a testament to how magical this guy was, the range of emotions his act put you through and he had you leaving the theater truly happy and entertained. Thank you Danny, you gave me one of the most entertaining nights of my life and to think I didn't even want to go that night. To think what I would've missed, so glad I went. RIP Danny and prayers to all your loved ones who lost something truly special.

GlobalDia

so sad, so unfair, he was a classy guy both in public and especially in private...a true rarity in hollywood today.
God Bless you danny. you will be missed.

Nia

can someone just say it's a joke? come back big guy.

keepinitrealincali

I was in Las Vegas for the first time last August and from the airport to my hotel, I saw Danny's picture on billboards everywhere. I had briefly thought about going to see his show during my 3-day stay, but chose to see Lance Burton and Cirque du Soleil's "KA" instead. Looking at the video clip, I really wish I chose to go see Danny. My sincerest condolences to the Gans family, and may your loving husband, father, brother and son RIP.

Vegasweb

Man oh man, it is like they say..."only the good die young". My daughter is a personal friend of his son and has visited their home in Henderson many times.
He was a very, very talented person and has a loving family close to God...

Patty

My sister and I saw him a few years ago when he was still at the Mirage and I thoujgh he was one of the greatest entertainers I have ever seen!!!. He was definitely a humanitarium and a very Godly man. He touched my heart the night I saw him. I laughed, I cried, but mostly I wished him the best of luck because he certainly was talented and made a difference to anyone who ever saw him! May he rest in peace with our heavenly Father and continue his "show" in heaven!!

jo helms

He was AMAZING etnertainer! We saw him when we first moved to Vegas and was absolutely talented.

There is no question why he was Entertainer of the Year for over a decade, there's A LOT of competition in Vegas and hands down he deserved it!

steelergirl913

His was the BEST show in Vegas. A very gifted entertainer who will be missed. I am glad I had the chance to see his show. RIP.

Lois

I did not have the pleasure of having to see Mr. Gans show, but having a brother die the same way I think the comments left by some of you here are just vulgar. He was a husband/father/son,etc. You need to stop and take a good look in the mirror and ask "youself is this how I want to be remembered"?

Don

Danny was unknown outside of Vegas. I saw him on an interview one time and he said that's how he liked it.
But in Vegas he was a sell out performer however he often cancelled shows at the last minute due
to illness.

TaT

I mean you really would'nt know who he is if you don't live in vegas. He's all over the place there though.

ED