Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

gossip fan

I live in southern Cali and make it to Veas every now and then. I've never seen his show but know who he is from seeing the billboards about him. I guess we missed a great show from what we read on here. For someone famous to give his time to others is a great thing. God Bless Danny and his family. I hope they are proud of him for entertaining millions and giving to others

kerrybabyxx

I had heard the name but had never seen him perform.There are many Vegas performers who are not known outside of Las Vegas.I will never go to vegas ,because I hate gambling and dry heat.

linda doyle

I HAVE SEEN MOST LAS VEGAS SHOWS DANNY GANS WAS THE BEST BY FAR HE BROUGHT OUT EVERY EMOTION IN YOU ANY ONE I KNEW WHO WAS GOING TO LAS VEGAS TOLD THEM HAVE TO SEE HIM NO ONE WAS EVER DISSAPOINTED HE WAS THE BEST AT WHAT HE DID !WHAT A LOSS

KerryBee

The sudden passing of Danny Gans has touched many many hearts beyond Las Vegas. He is one of Las Vegas' greatest losses--but what a great gift has come to join the choirs of the angels..

Woody McBreairty

Will the morons who keep writing "who is he?" just read the f------ article. And will the jerks who keep writing "first" please get a life. You are obivusly deprived - and without purpose in your so-called life.

Joy

never heard of him.

Joy

WHO IS HE???

Joy

Sad...have no idea who he is but still a sad story!

celebs news

My prayers go out to his family

divalasvegas

To all the folks out there that feel compelled to leave a nasty message or ask who Danny Gans was, you need to take a minute and realize that a family has lost a father/husband/brother/son and a lot of folks here in Vegas have lost a friend. Show some respect and try to refrain from leaving an inappropriate message. His family could be reading this garbage. How would you feel if it were the other way around? I guess it's really easy to hide behind your computer and talk smack about someone you know nothing about under the guise of attempting(and failing) to be humorous. Show some respect and grow up. Your lives must be pretty empty and you must be very bitter.

aliceinalaska

i saw him in vegas ,brilliant....... i can only hope i go that peaceful.....onward and upward xoxoxo ali

bluechip

He is legendary in Vegas but probably not well known for those who haven't visit the town. If you have been to Vegas, you can't miss him! RIP

Jami

I can respect the fact that not alot of people outside of Las Vegas knew who Danny Gans was. I am a performer in Las Vegas as well, and he was very respected among his peers. He had an amazing band, and I feel for all of the people who worked with him who will now be affected by this tragedy. It's an incredible wake up call when a healthy man dies in his sleep. Live each day, because tomorrow is not promised. My thoughts are with his wife and three kids, may he rest in peace.

Joseph Huk Jr., HUKFM.com

My Wife and I saw him, on our honey moon, at the Mirage, 9 years ago. On a friend's recommendation, it turned into a most wonderful, magical evening. He made you feel that you were spending a evening with him at his house. He was an exceptional singer and impressionist. He seemed to channel the spirits of many entertainers into his performance. It will be a night my bride, Kim and I will never forget. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Joe Huk, HUKFM.com

Jules

Although I did not have the obvious pleasure of seeing his show in person, I feel compelled to post that my deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of Mr. Gans. I hope that you have the strength to rise above and bond together to get through the loss that you must feel.
As for those people that try to disrespect someone that has lost their life, to attempt to publicly humiliate a person who is no longer with us and cannot defend himself, and to make a public post directly or indirectly stated toward family and friends that are in mourning, you are simply pathetic. Please respect those that are in a time of need, let some compassion show through for those that are experiencing this loss. This is not the place or the time to continue to hurt those that are devastated. Have some sense, be humane, be respectful. This family wasn't expecting this, they never got to say good-bye. This is not the place to be fowl and disrespectful, this is not the topic to post those type of threads in.
I hope his wife, 3 children and friends have the power to come together and find peace in such a sudden tragedy. May God be with you and may you always have beautiful memories to hold on to. You truly had a great husband, father and friend in this man, how great it must be for you to know he made a difference in this world. May you have the ability to be like him...just as he had taken tragedy in other peoples lives and turned that into a glimmer of positive - I hope you all will be able to do the same. I truly am sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers are with you all.