Dom DeLuise Dies

5/5/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've just learned that Dom DeLuise -- who starred in such classics as "The Cannonball Run" and "Blazing Saddles" and was the voice of Pizza the Hutt in "Spaceballs" -- died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.

We're told he passed away peacefully in his sleep at around 6 PM.

He was 75.

His family just released this statement: "It's easy to mourn his death, but easier to remember a time when he made you laugh."

Launch Photos

Lovejac23

YOU WILL BE MISSED, DOM! Thank you for your God given talent of laughter. The heavens must need a funny man up there now. What was that movie he was in where he helped to run that fake pawn shop---busted a bunch of funny people...The dude with the big eyes and when they ate the brownies---THAT WAS FUNNY!!!! If anyome could get me out of a funk---it's Dom.

gv416

Sorry to see him go. He always made me laugh.....oh and to whoever that was that said he wasn't in Spaceballs...He played Pizza the Hut....a simple IMDB search would have told you that.

wickedorchid

Fatso is one of the best movies ever made. Ever. I hope that you and Ann Bancroft are raising a glass together?

Honky Tonk Woman

I loved Dom....he'll be greatly missed. And to Xistenz99, he was in Spaceballs...maybe you should do some research.
RIP Dom.

keepinitrealincali

Bea Arthur last week, now Dom??!!?? The legends are slowly but surely leaving us. My condolences to the DeLuise family.

Anonymous

So sorry to hear that he is gone. Loved his personality and his movies. He will be missed. Deepest condolences to his family.

Ernest Campagnone

Another Legend Gone... you made us laugh godspeed

Gordon Robbins

He was so funny. I was always surprised at his energy, his unstoppable positive spirit. The only person I can think of that was in any way similar was maybe Jonathan Winters.
I will always remember him at his very best, when he paired up with Burt Reynolds. Such fun!

cherryblossoms

seemed like a great guy and also very nice and classy, R.I.P. you sure will be missed and thoughts and prayers with your family and friends.

Mikey

WELL THAT SETTLES THAT BET, PAUL PRUDHOMME WINS..................................

cherryblossoms

wow #88 rachel- could you be anymore ignorant and un-sympathetic, we all gotta die someday so move on? I sure hope to god people dont say that about you when your days are up. Every life is important and should be honored.

Chatty

He was in spaceballs!!!! as the voice of Pizza the Hutt!!!! Duh

Dock

Xistenz99,

He WAS in Spaceballs, as the voice of Pizza The Hut. Why don't YOU go to IMDB and look at the full cast and crew before you spout off incorrect information you little wanker.

Josie

He will be missed...Such a good man...! I am proud that he made me laugh in all the movies he did with Burt Reynolds..! GREAT GUY.!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanette K

I was upset this morning when I read that Dom Deluise had died.
As a child, I grew up watching Cannonball Run among other movies of Dom's. I was fortunate later on in my 20's, to meet him at the Mall where I worked, have my picture taken with him and talk a few minutes with him. What a funny, charismatic man he was! I will miss him dearly and always cherish my photo with him and my autographed copy of Cannonball Run.
RIP "Captian Choas"