Becoming a Man

The Process

6/11/2009 3:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chastity BonoA lot is involved in the sex reassignment process. Here's the lowdown, according to Dr. Gary Alter from "Dr. 90210" -- he's an expert. Here's what Chastity Bono is going through right now.

-- First step ... A psychiatrist evaluates the patient. If appropriate, the doctor prescribes male hormones.

-- The hormones change the body makeup, which includes hair growth. The clitoris also grows larger.

-- Removal of breasts. Dr. Alter said most states will recognize the person as a male once this occurs. A hysterectomy can also be performed during this process.

-- Dr. Alter said the decision about changing the genitalia can take several years, while the patient is taking hormones. Dr. Alter says most people stop at this point.

-- Dr. Alter says if the patient goes forward, the surgeon often makes a small penis out of the clitoris and a scrotum by joining both labia majors. Testicle implants can then be inserted. The most sophisticated option is microsurgery in which skin, arteries and nerves are taken from the forearm and made into a phallus.

As for cost, Dr. Alter said it's all over the place, depending on how far the person wants to go. We've spoken to people who have had it done, and they say the full deal costs more than $100,000.

cwazy

Not dissing chasity or transgendered people in any way shape or form. I can not judge her. I just personally will concider her a female than a male. If she were my mom, i would concider her my mother, not my father....Maybe some people feel they are born a male and thats fine, but i just don't feel comfortable with the idea of sex changes. Just my opinion, am not trying to be rude and call her names like some other people are doing, as thats just mean and childish. Its a forum so will express how i think. I don't think god made any mistakes. Its man that has done most of the mistakes in this world. God created a planet, we chose our own minds.

1958 days ago

this world makes me sick

"Although I am a straight individual, why bash a person that was genetically born a male?"

Because... if she was born with a vagina, a uterus, and developed breasts and had her first period between ages 12-16 or so, then she was NOT genetically born a male, SHE was genetically born a FEMALE.

ReppintheLBChard

why do butch lesbians think that by being obese that they are more masculine. I'm a lesbian, i'm a woman, and i'm proud of it. I would never change the gender god made me. Its insecurity and a need to fit in that could use some good solid counseling. At least that is how i feel.

srsbiz

WOW TMZ, thanks for the TMI on the process.

Grammar nazi

Let her be who she is. Y'all are such homophobes. I remember when I was little (she's just a little older than me) watching her on her parents' show and my mom would say, "She's going to be messed up, who would name their poor kid Chastity?" Guess so. Still, you need to grow up, people, and stop calling him/her names.

justsaying

THERE IS NO SUCH ANIMAL AS A "SEX CHANGE" OPERATION. IF YOU WERE BORN A WOMAN, YOU ARE A WOMAN TODAY, AND YOU WILL DIE A WOMAN. IT DOSEN'T MATTER WHAT YOU GET WHACKED OFF OR PUT ON. YOU ARE A WOMAN. PERIOD. AND THAT WOMAN WHO CALLS HERSELF A MAN, SAYING SHE HAD A CHILD AS A MAN, IS A WOMAN TOO. AND I'M NOT GOING TO LET SOME DOCTOR OR POLITICALLY CORRECT PEOPLE CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

veronica

Ahhh, for once TMZ I think you actually posted tmi!! That is just unnatural, if nature intended for her to have a d*ck then nature would have given her one...ugh....
Anyway, if she wnats to be a dude so bad then why does she get all glammed up with lipstick, earrings, and a neclace...not to mention tweezed eyebrows. Sounds pretty d*mn feminine to me.

Lizzie

I recall years ago reading how Chastity put the blame squarely on Cher for her being gay, as Cher left her with a lesbian babysitter from very young who took advantage of her. So she's been skrewed up for a very long time...There are very few people out there that were born with incomplete genitalia - not one sex or the other - and the doctors have to decide which sex to make them and for those people, my heart breaks when the doctor gets it wrong.

LemonySarah

Is it just me or does Chaz look like Val Kilmer in this photo?

Jennifer Scott

I completely agree with the posters saying once a female/ male always a female/male. Sorry but I do not believe for 1 little minute that people are "born into the wrong body" that's just a huge cop out. If you are born a female, sorry but no amount of surgery/ alteration is going to change that. I don't care if someone is gay, that's all great, fine & wonderful but don't change your body and tell people you're a man. Ridiculous. JMO.

QE2

I have no idea what it would be like to be in the shoes of someone who truly feels that their gender/sex has been incorrect since birth. Thank God. I'm not even prentending to judge any of these people who have these surgeries. I will say that my heart goes out to anyone who feels so unhappy with how they were born that they would undergo many difficult and painful procedures.

Nick-CT

Wow, You people are just cruel. If you only knew the pain and suffering that these people go through, you might be a little more sensitive, but then again maybe not, I see a lot of "GOD" references in these posts and the religious are the ones who start calling names and making fun and hurting people. Is that what Jesus would do? Grow up and act like adults. Heaven forbid one of your kids or relatives come out as gay or transgendered.

Jennifer Scott

If one of my kids came to me as a gay person I would 100% without question support them. I love my kids unconditionally, I just can not comprehend the transgender thing. Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intent.

Nick-CT

To Just Me.
Your post is not nearly as offensive as a lot of the others. But you said it right, "UNCONDITIONALLY", if one of your kids came to you and said they were transgender and wanted to have an operation to fix it, you may not understand it, but I bet you would certainly want to do some research and talk to some professionals about it, because you love your kids "UNCONDITIONALLY" I certainly hope Cher feels the this way.

kingsmess

And the whole world needs to know this WHY??? WHO really gives a rats ass??? NOTE TO TMZ...this is NOT breaking news!! She is NOT a celebrity anyways...get some good news for us.....

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments