Chastity Bono

Becoming a Man

6/11/2009 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chastity BonoChastity Bono, civil rights advocate, journalist, author and musician, is in the early stages of changing his gender -- transitioning from female to male, TMZ has learned.

Bono, the child of legendary entertainers Sonny and Cher, began the process earlier this year, shortly after his 40th birthday.

"Yes, it's true -- Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity," confirmed Bono's publicist, Howard Bragman.

"He is proud of his decision and grateful for the support and respect that has already been shown by his loved ones. It is Chaz's hope that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue, just as his 'coming out' did nearly 20 years ago.

We ask that the media respect Chaz's privacy during this long process as he will not be doing any interviews at this time."

Launch photos

Hope

Good for him.

As for all of you "this is why terrorists hate us and what's wrong with America," shut the hell up. What's right for one person may not be right for you, but it does give you the right to hate for it. Hatred is what's wrong with the WORLD. Stick your heads a little further up your own asses and keep your mouths shut.

Bonnie

Too bad this brave step will be attacked by people who are not afraid to show how hateful and ridiculous they are.
Chas is brave and acting with integrity that comes with "to thine own self be true." Naturally the result will be: attack.

Go Chas!

Tink44

Well now, if "SHE" is a "HE' it can date its mother.

vixis

Some people need to respect others and stop criticizing them, if they feel more comfortable changing their sex then that is their choice. It is not up to us to judge who or what they do, let people be who they want to be!

K8

TMZ, I have to commend you for such a respectfully and tastefully written post. Kudos!

Bill Cosby

That's ridiculous. Do I believe in gender reassignment surgery? Yes. Only problem is that psychologists have proven that when men feel they were born in the wrong body and need SRS surgery to become a woman it is feasible, both psychologically AND physically. When women want to become "men" they just have "penis envy" and they in fact are not capable of the feelings a male goes through about being in the wrong body. Secondly, they will never have "male parts". They are just "butch lesbians". And that's fine with me, just don't trick yourself into thinking you're a man.
To the people who think neither male or females should do this I'm not speaking to you because people will do this regardless and I'm not saying if it's "right" or "wrong" whatever that is anyway. And no, I'm not a tranny or whatever the pop word is this month. Just someone giving info backed up by decades of psychological research.

oL0

wow..... just. wow.

John Galt for President 2012

Is there something in the water supply of Hollyweird that f*cks with peoples heads? Seriously. Its a city of wackos !!

Im waiting for two people who really want to be close to each other have both their heads transplanted onto one body. Ya know, like that classic B flick THE THING WITH TWO HEADS where NFL player Rosey Grier has his head transplanted onto the body of Ray Milland. Seriously, I would NOT be shocked by that.

Bushwick

Why is it that whenever we get any "straight" forward reporting on TMZ without biased or any underlying sarcasm when the story is reported, is when the story pertains to homosexuality. Usually we get a barrage of Milton Burle inspired quips to go along with a story, and a celeb deciding to turn themselves into a man is more then ripe for the joke territory, but no, we get a very "straight" forward non noscence relay, as if half the people who cme on here ae even old enough to know who the hell she is anyway

jungajim

It *is* brave. I just have to stand here and put my hands together for "Chaz," and his bravery. Nevermind the double amputee - you whiner! Change "Chaz's" gender because "Chaz" is too good for a dildo. Although that's not what she said...

Violette-Blue

Good for you, Chaz! It's your decision and no one elses. No one has the right to criticize you for doing what you feel is right. More power to you!

metromediasquare.com

I TOLD YA she loved pen|is all along!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

chris t

Congrats Chaz! As a COMPLETELY post operative transman, myself, welcome to the LONG journey. It is well worth the time, effort, and BS to become who we were meant to me in the first place. Forget the naysayers as they lack common sense and an education in the sciences to understand this. Hang in there and enjoy the ride.

SUN

I cant say for sure what I would do, but at her age and considering how risky/costly this type of suregery is- I would just remain the way I am. She will have to take hormone pills forever, so really how can it be the way God made her?? I amjust saying... if she wants to be a lesbian, then go ahead, but trying to force her body to be a male is not the way she was born. This means cutting, pills, creams... I guess its her life, but I dont think this is going to change the way she feels about herself at all.

tw

Well, when your mom is a drag queen things like this are bound to happen!