Chastity Bono

Becoming a Man

6/11/2009 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chastity BonoChastity Bono, civil rights advocate, journalist, author and musician, is in the early stages of changing his gender -- transitioning from female to male, TMZ has learned.

Bono, the child of legendary entertainers Sonny and Cher, began the process earlier this year, shortly after his 40th birthday.

"Yes, it's true -- Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity," confirmed Bono's publicist, Howard Bragman.

"He is proud of his decision and grateful for the support and respect that has already been shown by his loved ones. It is Chaz's hope that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue, just as his 'coming out' did nearly 20 years ago.

We ask that the media respect Chaz's privacy during this long process as he will not be doing any interviews at this time."

Launch photos

girlytoads

I am glad Chaz is letting everyone know he's male inside. Chaz has never been feminine-looking as a female, and now he can be as male as he wants to be, and MARRY his sweetie in California. I'm proud of HIM

1922 days ago

DJ

1922 days ago

JC38

All I can say is: Live and let live....and don't be so judgmental. Jesus, protect me from your followers

1922 days ago

Anon

I am truly disgusted at how people are bashing Chastity over her transformation. Are you folks doing the same thing as she is? NO, its not your life so don't go throwing insults and saying what Chastity should or should not DO. None of you know her AT ALL on a personal level. Its just sick that some of you cannot just grow the f*ck up and accept people no matter who they want to be, look like etc!.

I don't know Chastity on a personal level, but I have heard about her charity work and books, and she seems like a wonderful person! I wish her all the best!

1922 days ago

Lucy

okay so they want us to respect Chaz's privacy........ so then why the announcement??????

1922 days ago

charlie03

Anyone who is questioning whether Chastity is Sonny's daughter or Greg's daughter is apparently very young...Of course Chastity is Sonny's daughter.

By the way, TMZ, until Chastity's gender change is complete, SHE is a SHE, not a he. Once the change is completed, then HE would be the appropriate pronoun.

1922 days ago

GinoB

"American people are just plain FAT and Stupid... period... end of story... ...you're a pathetic race of materialistic, diseased wasters"

pffft...ridiculous. That's like saying all Germans are nazi sympathizers, all Brits have bad teeth, and all Asians are bad drivers. Move on and get some original material to work with.

1922 days ago

awwwwwwww

531. Chaz Congratulations and the best of luck. Truthfully I'll bet your Mom and Dad are proud of you. Follow your heart and you'll never go wrong!

Posted at 10:02PM on Jun 12th 2009 by DJ

Ummmm...You do know that daddy is so dead that he's not even worm food anymore don't you?

1921 days ago

Sandy Shores

OK so she is gay and wants a sex change.

Note to Chaz: YOU WILL STILL BE A WOMAN!

1921 days ago

Joe Cali

Ex Gay? Please! Take your self loathing elsewhere! I'm sure Chastity has gone through quite a process in the last 40 years to make the decision best for him. Good Luck. Now let's worry about our own salvation and bud out of others.

1921 days ago

Disqusted

I do not get it, if your gay then so be it, that is fine. But to change your body like that is just crazy. Gay people can not get married, but a person can legally change there entire sex wtf is that about.

1921 days ago

Steve

This is one way to raise the ratings if her mother gets a show again.

1921 days ago

Carol

Sonny must be turning over in his grave right about now....not to mention Cher, who has not made any comments as far as I can tell. Everyone should live their life the way they choose to; however, they will have to live with the consequences if they mess up. Chastity/Chaz has made a choice....who really knows what goes on inside a person's body and if the body 'truly speaks' to you. I have seen pictures of people who have gone through transgender surgeries and believe me, none of them were good looking, cute or pretty to begin with.....most were fat and frumpy (girls)....so, if Chastity thinks she can make it as a guy, all the more power to her....she still isn't going to be cute but will remain looking much the same way she did before....fat. I believe people who have a very low esteem about themselves will do anything to attract attention.....changing their sex is one way----talk about taking drastic measures! Our thoughts are with you Cher.....hang in there.

1920 days ago

April

I wonder what Elijah is thinking about this.Now Cher has 2 sons. Maybe Elijah can become a woman and there will be harmony. They shouldnot have given her such a hard a name like "Chastity" thats where the problem started. A name that says "No Sex" so now she wil be a sexless creature feature...Hi Elijah, still playing in a band???

1920 days ago

concerned

Is Chastity/Chaz internally gay?
I think that's a big yes.

So what will that do to his/her sexual appetite?

Will he/she drop litle miss for a gay man?

Or will he/she claim he/she is now straight?

Will little miss want a new woman soon if she is also truly internally gay?

Or does the gay just go away now?

1920 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments