Chastity Bono

Becoming a Man

6/11/2009 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chastity BonoChastity Bono, civil rights advocate, journalist, author and musician, is in the early stages of changing his gender -- transitioning from female to male, TMZ has learned.

Bono, the child of legendary entertainers Sonny and Cher, began the process earlier this year, shortly after his 40th birthday.

"Yes, it's true -- Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity," confirmed Bono's publicist, Howard Bragman.

"He is proud of his decision and grateful for the support and respect that has already been shown by his loved ones. It is Chaz's hope that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue, just as his 'coming out' did nearly 20 years ago.

We ask that the media respect Chaz's privacy during this long process as he will not be doing any interviews at this time."

Launch photos

Nick

Wait a minute. You put out a press release. Then beg for PRIVACY, and ask for no requests for interviews? Am I the crazy one here? The real issue is that she/he will take anymore requests because 20/20 or someone has already sent their check in.

Victoria

All of her adult life she DID look like a man....girlfriend don't cut off your boobs to spite your vagina!

elle

i remember watching the Sonny and Cher show when i was a little girl. I loved when they had Chastity on at the end. I thought she was the luckiest little girl in the world!

Not too long ago I watched some re-runs of the show. And in one episode where Chastity was on, she said (something like) when I grow up I want to be a boy.

London not England

HEY #12 John H
THESE ARE YOUR PEOPLE!!!!! SHOOTIN UP, SEX CHANGING UP.....GETTING MARRIED TO THE SAME SEX AND CRAP!!!!!
OUR NEW AFRICAN AMERICAN PRESIDENT IS NO MORE A "JOKE" THAN THAT LAST SPOILED WHITE RICH KID FROM TEX-ASS !!!!! AT LEAST PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD NOW "RESPECT" OUR NEW LEADER AND AIN'T THROWING SHOES AT HIM......
AN IMAGE I WILL FOREVER BE GREAT FULL FOR ON YOUTUBE - FOR A MILLION LAUGHS EVERY TIME I SEE IT!!!
IF YA DON'T LIKE IT, I HEAR HOUSING IN MEXICO IS REAL CHEAP NOW!!!!!

billyboyhere

So is Elijah Blue going to become a Lady now? What is with the offspring off a Cher?...

spank it

I'am a MAN

I GUESS YOU FORGOT, SHE IS A SHE. NO MATTER WHAT SHE DOES.

London not England

HEY #30 John H
IF YA DON'T LIKE IT, I HEAR HOUSING IN MEXICO IS REAL CHEAP NOW!!!!!

ANTI-OBAMA

Hold the phone, she wants to become the very thing she's tried so hard to avoid all her life? Stood up for the rights of women, lesbians all over the world, gay activist and now she's becoming a man???????????????????????????????? truly laughable! I feel sorry for her mother. The daughter she gave birth to is going against God's will and becoming a man. God help them.

J9

So Cher left her alone as a child with her hip lesbian pals and one of them molested her in her teens.... she has been screwed up every since. Way to parent Cher....

Zoltan

Iam Smartman - That's a perfect name for you - glorious in it's irony! We Americans love exercise as much as anyone. Why, we could sit and think about it all day! Just the other night at the Stromboli palace I was talkin to my friends about it. Then we shared a laugh at all our international hater friends who'd offer up a testical (if the French had any left) to live here.

GFYS

Michael Madsen

Look, people, if he... she... him.... uh... her.... um his... ehhh... if she.... er... he.... uhh...
Damn! Who's gonna donate the penis?
We all know Cher won't give hers up.

Bill Cosby

OMG. Looking at these pictures unfortunately backs up my previous suspicions.... As a child AND an early teen she was just fine with being a girl (in teens girl growing into a woman). I have experience, hearing the stories of many male to female transsexuals. EVERY ONE of them feels like their body is like a prison. It TORTURES THEM and some of them wind up killing themselves the emotional torment is so great. 99% of them show pictures of when they were EVEN SMALL children and they would already try to shake this discomfort by wearing girls' clothes, playing with girls' toys. And if they show pics as late of an age as one of the Chastity pics (looks like pre-teen?) they are already conscientiously trying to look AT LEAST androgynous. Seems like Chastity never did this! Sure, she dressed in men's clothes as a lesbian. Lots of butch girls do.
From the little bit I know of this woman, she unfortunately seems very unfulfilled and unhappy in general. First she tried to fill that void with drugs. She had the courage to stop that luckily. Now I think she thinks she will FINALLY be happy if she will be a man! Ahhh! So THAT is why happiness has been eluding her! So sad. After SRS you can't go back. Maybe she should just accept that the emptiness she feels is natural (millions of depressed people share it), accept it may NEVER leave, but also accept that there are ways to co-exist with it and still live a happy life. Why not? Too simple?

awwwwwwww

Yahoo................I'd do it with that fugly biotch any day.....................

Cory (yes Feldman)

and the main doctor in L.A. doing these surgeries is Dr. Alter... truth!

Zoltan

Elijah Blue?

Hey he needed the money!