Chastity Bono

Becoming a Man

6/11/2009 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chastity BonoChastity Bono, civil rights advocate, journalist, author and musician, is in the early stages of changing his gender -- transitioning from female to male, TMZ has learned.

Bono, the child of legendary entertainers Sonny and Cher, began the process earlier this year, shortly after his 40th birthday.

"Yes, it's true -- Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity," confirmed Bono's publicist, Howard Bragman.

"He is proud of his decision and grateful for the support and respect that has already been shown by his loved ones. It is Chaz's hope that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue, just as his 'coming out' did nearly 20 years ago.

We ask that the media respect Chaz's privacy during this long process as he will not be doing any interviews at this time."

Launch photos

Anonymous25

I no longer agree with hormones and surgery. I think it is very natural and very common for many females to be masculine-minded. It's not as rare as some posters here seem to think. I don't question that Chaz feels a transgender or masculine identity, but I don't think people should have to transition to fit the binary. Long live variation.
I do wish Chaz love and support. It's not easy.

Marcia Manzello

He? She? Chaz? Chastity? Has lipstick on for Christ Sake. I am confused.
Honest to God! This is a plain FAT Stupidity. Endofstory.

dacmedispa

Do any of you know what female pedophile is? Anyone who read her last book would be able to figure out that she was abused by a female pedophile during a very young age. This woman "Joan" was extremely sexually active with alot of people, not just her. Part of this stage of getting lured in by a pedophile is making a kid feel special.How come no one is questioning this relationship and what has happened to her? I am completely shocked at this public denial. The sex-change is not going to help help her become happy. She has to deal with what has happened to her and why she has low self-esteem. She needs to wake-up and realize she was not in love with a pedophile. That is a common mistake of most abused kids. What is her psychologist thinking? Can't they recognize the signs?

idolfanatic

Chaz kinda looks like Rosie O'Donnell...

bradknoxupjolie

Wrrrrrrr! Wrrrrrrr! That's Sonny Bono spinning in his grave now. What do you expect from a daughter named after a crazy 1969 movie about Cher working in a Mexican whorehouse that aired on the digital channel This TV last Sunday?

Jeri

I feel so badly for Cher. I've been a Sonny and Cher fan since 1964, and this just saddens me. First Cher loses her husband to a skiing accident and now she loses her daughter to a "courageous decision". I read another article about the difficulty Cher had in dealing with her daughter's lesbianism...and now this. To find out, after 40 years, that you no longer have a daughter, but are now forced to adjust to the idea of having a son who used to be your daughter, and in fact WAS your daughter for 40 years has to be difficult, at best. I remember seeing pictures back in 1968 or so of Chastity as a small child and she was absolutely adorable. Her parents probably had dreams of her growing up to someday marry a man and have children, but I doubt that they ever dreamed THIS would happen. It must be a terrible struggle for Cher to have to deal with, and frankly it sickens me every time I read about it. I can only imagine how Chastity's poor mother must feel. "Wow, I tried to be a good mom and then 30 years later find out I have a lesbian for a daughter, and ten years after that my daughter turns herself into a man. Hard to deal with, man. Really." And I refuse to call Chastity a man yet, because, you see, she hasn't become one yet. Plus, equating changing your entire self from one gender to another used to be called a "sex-change operation", whatever happened to that? That IS what's happening here, you know. And it's much more incredibly devastating to people like me than tummy tucks, face lifts, Botox injections or getting your hair done. To me it's just wrong. I've always heard that "God don't make mistakes" and God created Chastity as a female. Messing with that just seems wrong to me. Chastity, if you ever read this (although I'm pretty sure you won't) I'm really disappointed in you.; And Cher, you have my prayers and my sympathies.

Jeri

Need to add a couple of corrections to my previous post, since there is no edit option that I can see. The word "equating" should not be in it, and the pictures I saw of Chastity were taken when she was probably about a year or two old. Not in 1968, she hadn't even been born yet in 1968.

Thank you.

Really?

Well, good luck-----

Laura

Good lord. I don't get it, never will. Men who become women most always look like huge guys dressed up as women, and women who become men are always fat with a high pitched voice. It's like people who wear toupees, everyone but THEM sees how fake they look.

supportive

I cant imagine what it must be like to live in a body that is totally opposite to who you are. I really hope people can be supportive, understanding, and non judgemental. After all he isnt hurting anyone, never has, he just wants to be himself. Last i heard that isnt a crime, and i think we have much bigger things to focus on besides someone trying to be the best they can be.

Jessica

As a trans-woman, I can not take all the hate comments on this subject anyore. This is a subject that not many understand and the only people that truly understand it are transgender. First off, let me say that I was brought up in a normal home, I was never molested and nothing specific ever made me this way. If you believe I was not born this way, I don't care. Most people out there are completely ignorant of this topic and are too close minded to learn about it. But nobody can understand the mental agony that we go through our lives. If you did, then you wouldn't be so hurtful. A lot of you people are saying that trans-people need help and a good shrink. I agree with that and in fact, it's required of anyone who is going to transition. I saw multiple therapists for 2 years and I have been officially discharged. My therapist told me that I was put together better then any other patient she ever had. The process is pretty intense and peoples mis-understandings and hate doesn't help. Yes, it's a mental disoder but how hard is it to understand that it can be cured with certain surgeries. Imagine if you can cure bipolar or schizophrenia with surgeries. You wouldn't be flipping out then. Alot of people also say that I made a mistake and I will lead a miserable life because I transitioned. This is wrong on many accounts. Just ask my friends, family and co-workers. They will tell you how much more social, confident, caring and happy I am now that I transitioned. Why is it so hard to understand that I have found inner peace and for the first time in my life all because I transitioned, I can look into the mirror and see the person that I dreamed of being when I was 5, And for all of those out there who said I will never be a woman and you can't change my DNA, let me say this, tell me something I don't know. But seriously, who cares? I pass very well and I am treated in society as a woman. In fact, there are a lot of us out there in society and you simply can't tell. We are contributing members of society. The bottom line is that if you don't like me or accept who I am, simply keep walking the other way and ignore me. Please mind your own business and leave me alone. But if you judge me only on my trans-status, shame on you and you will never know that I'm a full time EMT, I'm a traveling hairdresser in nursing homes and works with eldery people and I volunteer to help animals at a local animal shelter. I promise you that I've seen more and had a better lefe then most of you out there. Not bad for a "freak" huh?

LMAO

I don't know what 'Iam smartman's' problem is, but 'it' sounds really retarted!!!

Karen Roberts

I respect Cher for supporting her daughter. At the same time, I'm sorry to hear that she's going to loose her only daughter
to a sex change! I think she's grieved over that for a LONG time even before chaz's most recent decision. So I have a
suggestion for Cher. You DO DESRVE the daughter you've always wanted! So WHY NOT adopt/purchase a little girl from China or South America? Most of those countries no longer have age requirements for adopting parents! If Madonna is considered decent and respectable enough to adopt children from over seas, SO ARE YOU! You could make some destitute child extremely happy and I know you have much more to offer a little girl than your wealth alone! The child would also have much to offer you in return! Just consider it for a moment!!!

Denise

Ok Chaz is gonna be a man. ummmm Trans form his body to a man. ummmmmmmmmmmmm Where do you get the penis. Is it donated like form some one who dies?

Alexandra Stewart

Congrudulations on your NOW VOYAGER path. The struggle is hard but you are on your way. My surgery was late in life but would never turn back. Everthing about me is in order my spirit,soul,heart,character,and look. When that physical comes in place you know you are really there. You are a and will be the good looking man you were chosen to be. Please rearch well who turns out the best. I made a mistake a chose the wrong doctor.but can,t turn back now.May your journey be a safe one. Alexandra Stewart mtf

Previous 15 Comments | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments