Debbie Rowe --

She Gets Custody if She Wants

6/26/2009 12:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Debbie RoweDebbie Rowe is poised to take full custody of the two children she bore for Michael Jackson.

It has been widely reported Debbie Rowe gave up her parental rights to Paris and Michael Jr. That is not true.

During the custody fight that Rowe had with Jackson in 2005, she attempted to give up her parental rights, saying Michael was the greatest father ever. Retired Judge Stephen Lachs, who presided over the hearing, initially ruled her rights were terminated ... but then Lachs reversed his decision.

Here's what happened. We spoke with Lance Spiegel, the lawyer who repped Jackson at the time. Spiegel says under the law, the Department of Children and Family Services must conduct a parental fitness investigation before parental rights are terminated and that didn't happen with Rowe.

So Rowe has never given up any of her parental rights. As a result, under California law, Rowe is now presumed to be the person who will get custody. The only way Rowe can be denied custody is if a court determines it would be "detrimental to the children."

As for whether Rowe will ask for custody .... our sources say you can bet on it. We're told if Rowe gets custody she will get "a huge amount of child support from Jackson's estate."

Michael Jackson Children Photos

MJ FAN

Well, I have a problem with Rowe giving up custody of her kids for financial gain, not once but twice and each time she was paid to stay away. There is not enough money on the planet earth, that I will make me give custody to MJ or any man! I am quite sure that MJ was smart enough to leave a will an a custodian for his children. I think we should all wait to see how this plays out in court. Too soon to discuss this....just bury the man first!

Steph

No offense to any of MJ's fans but I would bet anything those kids aren't his. They are white, he was black, shouldn't they be mixed. IMO, they are not his. I know, interracial couples can have light or dark children, but those kids have nothing but white in them. I can't believe people actually think they're his.

2Cents

I would hate for the two to be separated from their younger sibling. That said, none of these kids should land with the Jackson family. Michael's antics are a direct result of what his family is about. If Katherine is to get the kids, how long is she expected to live? Or are these kids supposed to see a parental figure die every couple of years or so. Their natural mother may be the only shot they have. I wonder what his will will reveal as far as the kids are concerned.

This is so freaking sad for these kids.

care

I feel so bad for the kids!

Sue Wong

SHE WILL TAKE THEM FOR THE MONEY. DOES SHE EVEN KNOW THEM? IT'S BEYOND SAD.

snow white

take all 3 or none at all this children must be devastated, either that or the family take them, I am not sure she would be a good maternal mother full time and I definitely do not think the children should be separated, this ia all to emotional to them. she basically was always about the money anyway.

Twinker

I am sure there will be all sorts of squabbles and fights but today is a day to cry and mourn. My heart goes out to those kids, to Debbie, the Jackson family and anyone who knew and loved Michael. Let's give these people time to process their grief and to lay Michael to rest. Yes, I have my "opinions" but today is a day to send love and hugs to people who have lost a beloved one.

selina

I think she just wanted the custody of her children because of how much the kids is going to get from will. it the money she wanted not kids.

river rat

I don't think this woman will ever be nominated for "Mother of the Year", but I would certainly hate to see these kids wind up the custoday of Joe Jackson.

me

I dont like the poll on this article because the story leaves out a couple of crucial details. I saw on the news last night, that the mother hasnt seen the kids for YEARS. It would be awful to take the kids who are already suffering a loss away from all the family they know to stick them with some money grubbing woman they havent seen for half their lives.

Dora

I think she would not take care of the kids. Blanket can not be separated of his brother and sister!
Their grandparents should be the ones to take care of the kids!
By the way, I still no see any reaction from Janet about Michael...

Outspoken1

I don't believe those kids belong to Michael Jackson. I'm a biracial child and almost every child I know of that have a black father and white mother has the biracial look. Good hair, medium complexion. Not white, blond hair and blue eyes! Those kids are not biracial!

Bess

I feel bad for the kids and I hope no matter where the end up the three are together, safe, and happy. They just had a huge loss, the only parent they knew. It would be awful to separate them, that would just be another loss.

helenofpeel

I am hopeful that this will be best for the kids to be with Ms. Rowe. They need to have as quiet and boring a life as possible after all they have been through in their short lifetimes.

cara

The bitch should not get custody of the kids. She wanted nothing to do with them while MJ was alive and now that there is money involved she wants them. I'd give her a good stiff kick in the ass first before she would get those kids. I had at one time read that Janet would be their legal guardian in the event of MJ's death.