Billy Mays Was Set to be Taco Bell's Pitchman

6/28/2009 5:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

billy mays taco bellBilly Mays was about to film a bunch of commercials for Taco Bell -- this according to a radio host who talked to the pitchman a few hours before he died.

Todd "MJ" Schnitt from 93.3 WFLZ in Tampa was interviewing Billy's "Pitchmen" co-star Anthony Sullivan this afternoon, when Todd eerily admitted to speaking with Billy on the phone late last night.

During the call, Todd said Billy had just signed a deal with Taco Bell for a series of infomercial-style adverts that were going to be filmed in August.

Todd also said Billy told him he "hit his head on the overhead luggage compartment" when the US Airways airplane blew its front tires while landing in Tampa yesterday.

NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

FOR THE IGNORANT PERSON THAT STATED THAT HE SHOULD HAVE HAD HIS SEAT BELT ON..... HE DID! WITH THE TRAMATIC PROBLEM OF THE AIRPLANE TIRES AS THEY LANDED. THEY ARE SO LUCKY THERE WASN'T MORE SERIOUS INJURIES OR FATALITIES. BUT WITH THE PERSONAL CARRY-ONS AND OTHER ITEMS THAT ARE ABOVE EACH PASSANGER. THEY FELL OUT OF THE COMPARTMENTS WHICH SOMETHING HIT MR. MAYS ON THE HEAD. THEY SAID HE COMMENTED THAT HE HAD A HEADACHE! HE COULD HAVE HAD A SUB-DURAL BLEED IN THE BRAIN. I ENJOYED HOW PERSISTED WAYS HE PROMOTED THE PRODUCTS! I SEND MY CONDOLENCES AND RESPECTS TO ALL HIS FAMILY AND LOVED ONES....BILLY MAYS MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

Roro

I had always thought that Billy Mays looked very familiar. Just a few days ago, I realized that he looked a lot like Bluto in the old Popeye cartoons..... I personally found his voice and delivery a real put-off just like a slick talking used car salesman.

jbh142

Man the TacoBell deal was huge for a man in his field. Billy was at the top of his game. He had the great show Pitchman and was flying high. From his show you saw he was a normal guy with a big heart. He believed in what he sold. He will be missed...

jbh142

Roro your an idiot friend.. He was untouchable and had more sales of his products than any other pitchmen period.

UGGGGHHH

SEATBELT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT....... ITS THE OVERHANG WHICH HAD LUGGAGE THAT FELL OFF THE SHELFF STRIKING BILLS HEAD...( WHILE LANDING ) ..... US AIRWAYS IS NEGLIGENT.. THE TIRES BLEW AND WERE PROBABLY BALD. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! US AIRWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHECK YOUR TIRES AND THE PLANE PERIOD
( MECHCANICAL) BEFORE RISKING OTHERS LIVES.................

Peterson32

Morons actually giving a crap about this loser who made a living hawking worthless products that already existed in non worthless formulations for decades, if not centuries. (OxiClean=Bleach). Put that useless Vince ShamWow guy in prison for beating up hookers and get rid of two of these jerks with one stone.

Billy Mays here! I am the manager in file and computer department of BANK OF AFRICA, I got
your contact through international business inquiry as i was desperately
searching for a honest foreiner who will help me receive this abandoned
money in his account. [sic]

In my department i discovered a file of unclaimed fund of $12.250m US
dollars(TWELVE MILLION TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND US DOLLARS).
In an account that belongs to one of our foreign customer who died along
with his entire family in plane crash 1998. [sic]

Billy Mays has made a living off scamming you for as long as he’s had that beard. Stop hiring this f****g idiot, you morons.

4 Responses

1. chris Says:
November 14th, 2008 at 8:53 pm

When ever I see Billy Mays trying to sell something, I already know it doesn’t work.
2. Brent Says:
November 28th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I want to move in with billy mays and every 10 minutes jump in front of him yell for a minute then hit him in the nuts with a hammer!!!!
3. Theophrastus Says:
April 23rd, 2009 at 7:37 am

90% of the gadgets advertised on TV, whether it’s Billy, Vince, or another douchebag, are crap. The same goes for all these get-rick-quick gurus and coaches who are spamming the out of radio.
4. paul Says:
May 13th, 2009 at 8:25 pm

GOD I LOVE THE WEBSITE. FUNNYR THAN HELL AND TRUS, I CHANGE CHANNELS WHEN HE IS ON AND TO MAKE IT WORSE, HES GOT A SHOW NOW. SHOULD BE CALLED BITCH MEN NOT PICH MEN

Ya Think

IF he had been seated with his seatbelt on, there's no way items that were secured in the overhead compartment would have fallen straight down onto his head. Those compartments don't open directly over the passengers' heads. They open into the aisle. BUT -- if he wasn't wearing his seatbelt and the front tires blew out during the landing, he would have been catapulted straight up like a cork out of a bottle, slamming his head on the overhead compartment ... just as he did.

As someone else said, it's eerily reminiscent of Natasha Richardson's death. The brain getting slammed around inside the skull can be deadly. Billy's death was probably an avoidable tragedy. Wear your seatbelt until the pilot says to take it off. There's a reason for that rule.

Horhay

How do you get the Initials MJ out of Todd? This guy(The Radio DJ) is a hack at best...

Tom

Really sorry to hear this. We really like the tv show "Pitchmen", and feel bad for his family and friends.
Tom

Kodak

Taco Bell to sell hair tacos! I love coarse hair in my taco....gods dental floss!!!!

Ria

I was very upset hearing "Billy Mays" had died. I found out on the internet. I bought Oxy Clean because of Billy Mays. He had a very loud voice which aggravated me alot but I couldn't help but listen to the man.
My heart goes out to Billy Mays Family!
I will always use my Oxy Clean!

nokia

hi. thanks for noticing.

Penny

"overhead luggage compartment"...hmmmmm

soooo, did he have his seatbelt on?

What the Hell?

These comments are making me lmao!
You guys are great!