FAA Spokesperson Takes Back Billy Mays Quote

6/28/2009 3:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Billy MaysLaura Brown, the FAA spokesperson who gave TMZ this quote about Billy Mays -- "The passenger needs to wear a seat belt during landing and he didn't" -- now says she didn't say it.

She now tells TMZ, "At this point in time, we cannot have any idea who was or wasn't wearing their seat belt on the plane."

Mays was one of the passengers aboard a plane that landed roughly at Tampa International Airport yesterday. He told a local FOX affiliate he was hit on the head by falling items.

bigorange

Why would wearing your seatbelt save you from getting hit in the head from something overhead?

sabrina

hmmm, they are trying to cover their azzzzs I mean come on ppl

SAQUISHA-MISHA

THIS IS SO SAD

I CANNOT BELIEVE

EVERYONE LETS PRAY MILEY CYRUS DIES NEXT!!!!!!

Joe

She is an idiot, she said what she said and there is no taking it back.

Jessica

What did Hollywood do to cause this plague upon some of their most famous stars? Who did Hollywood piss off?
I'm not a celebrity but if I were i'd be hiding in a sturdy room surrounded by padding.

These deaths are truly tragic and it's a sucker punch for them being one after the other.
All of the stars will be missed.

Jareds

THEY KILLED BILLY MAYS!!!

neen

I have too say I am really impressed with the speed and accuracy of TMZ's stories. This IS the go-to site for info. I am a huge fan! Hey Harvey!

sultrysiren

why would a seat belt save your from things falling from overhead... he probably died from the head trauma like natasha richardson. all these celebrities dying this year is eerie.

longshowerz

Laura you need to find a different job, you suck as a spokesperson, hint hint FAA...Trying to put blame on Billy and now trying to cover your own ass... sad...

IH8SHAMWOW

Great, thanks alot Grim Reaper....now we're stuck with that ShamWow douchebag....awesome just frickin awesome.....

toby cameron I can still fit into my hs cheerleader uniform!

weird link between Billy, Michael, and Farrah's deaths...short video

Pongo

It was a dumb comment. How could the FAA have possibly known so soon. Are we supposed to believe that the airlines keep 'naughty passenger' lists of everyone who fails to fasten their seatbelt and return their seatback trays and chairs to the upright and locked position that they forward immediately to the FAA for review after each flight? Its' way too early for any speculation on this situation, so it is suspicious that the airline and the FAA are already trying to defend themselves. No one has actually accused them of anything--yet. Wonder what they aren't saying?

Disgusting

It was pretty obvious this backpedaling statement was imminent. But even their follow up statement is stupid and wrong. And if she didn't say it, who did? Typical denial, lies and backpedaling.

These are the people protecting the public. All regulatory agencies seem to be filled with people who are stupid or corrupt or both. Either way, the public is not protected, whether it's from airlines, doctors, lawyers, stockbrokers, etc.

Jacob R.S.

OMG! 5 famous in a row!

1- Guy who choked himself while *ya know*
2- Old T.V. host
3- Farah
4- Michael
5- Billy!

6- Miley Cirus.... =p.... just a kidding! But seriously...
7- Jonas brothers (maybe w/ miley in a *eh hem* bow chicka wow accident?)

Helldorado

The autopsy results had better not come back with a head injury related cause of death or else the airline is really fooked.

I never liked the guy - he was the reason I had a mute button - but it's still a bummer he's dead.

I hope I'm not next!