Man Claims He Got 'Lost' First

7/13/2009 6:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

There may be one human being on Earth who understands the TV show "Lost" -- a guy who claims he created the show 32 years ago.

Lost Click to view!

Anthony Spinner -- a producer on "Baretta" and "Babes in Toyland" -- says back in 1977 he was paid $30,000 to write a TV pilot, which eventually became a 121-page script called "Lost."

Spinner is now suing ABC and Touchstone Television, claiming the network passed on the show in '77, '91 and '94 ... then suddenly created an exact replica with Touchstone in 2004.

Spinner lists a ton of similarities in his suit -- which was filed on July 10 -- notably an "airplane headed to Los Angeles [that] crashes into a tropical jungle-like environment."

Spinner also alleges the new "Lost" characters -- including Jack, Locke, Sayid, Kate and Sawyer -- are all rip-offs ... down to their occupations and dark pasts.

The comparisons go on and on. Spinner is suing for damages and a cut of royalties, profits and a bunch of other stuff. Spinner tried to sue a few years ago, but it was dismissed for procedural reasons.

Rebecca

Uh, okay. The show started like what, 5 years ago now? Why take so long to make a lawsuit.

AUDIGIER SPENDS HIS MONEY ON DRUGS AND GAY HOOKERS

HEAR THAT YOU "LOST" PEOPLE?????????????? YOU ARE NOT "SMART". YOU CAN KISS MY HUGE GAPING AYNUS. I HATE THIS SHOW MORE THAN GEORGE W. BUSH, WHO INVENTED TERRORISM SO HIS FAMILY COULD GET MORE OF YOUR MONEY FROM OIL.

Don

The idea for the TV show "LOST" has been floating around Hollywood for many many years... finally ABC bought it. It probable was this guy's idea in the beginning... or maybe not.

dave

are you all insane? if he sued then they would stop making the show! would you sue after 1 successful season or 5? if he wins (nevermind if hes telling the truth) he would stand to make a ton of money 5x the amount then if they stopped after season 1, im amazed hes suing already, must need money now or something.

Winsome Davis III

It's Hollywood. Business as usual.

Miss Bu

why am I not surprised at this just proves that money is the root of all evils and when there is someone who has pile or somethng that earns a pile there is always someone with there hand out. He likely is telling the truth and like all companys that are that big the norm is to ignore them and hope they go away. As for abc they are the greediest of greedy.

inexcusable

This kind of "theft of ideas" happens all the time in Hollyweird, and has happened to personal friends of mine. Spinner is a great industry veteran, so if he says he was ripped off, that's good enough for me.

remy

Yes, why now. Btw, LOST is one of the Best and Original shows on TV. Yes, its takes some effort on the viewer to follow along with its crazy plots and twists, but it's well worth it. I am going to miss it when it ends next year.

hamilTonyan

I suggest hiring a lawyer called Sue thet drives a Isuzu.

my 3 cents

33. I HATE THIS SHOW WITH EVERY CELL AND FIBER OF MY SOUL. I WANT TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS LAWSUIT BECAUSE EVERY "NETWORK" PEROSN INVOLVED IIN THIS SHOW IS THEEEEEEEEEE - MOST - HEINOUS - DOUCHEBAG - ON - THE - PLANET. THE REAL PROBLEM IS THE ADVERTISERS. I HAVE BOYCOTTED ALL ADVERTISERS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SHOW, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT DESERVE A CENT OF MY MONEY.

Posted at 7:55PM on Jul 13th 2009 by UIWEHFGJUIEWHRGJFK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DO US A FAVOR AND DON'T WATCH IT. I LOVE THE SHOW AND THEIR IS A LOT OF FANS. WATCH "FACTS OF LIFE" YOU NEED TO GO ON MEDICATION YOU SEEM OFF BALANCE. NOW BACK TO THE POINT OF THE ARTICLE THE TWO SCRIPTS ARE VERY HE COULD EVEN USE A BAD LAWYER LIKE HARVEY LEVIN COULD MAKE HIM MONEY IN COURT AND HE MOST LIKELY IS A BAD LAWYER.

Fan Since 2007!!!

Sorry naysayers,

I ABSOLUTELY remember seeing the show. It was a CLASSIC ABC TV Movie called "Lost Flight" just like the suit infers.

My favorite memory? The bad guy chasing a young lady through the junhgle intent on raping her and then stumbling into his own pungee-stick booby trap(!). Yuk. It had a every feel of a TV series pilot and I would have LOVED to have seen it as a series!. Is it on video? I'd love to see it again!

Soundly Reasoned

Whoever paid him 30K to write the original pilot would be the one who would have an actual claim.

drew

if i put on a plad dress and ruby slippers i gues i just wrote the wizard of oz . yes toto there is no place like home .
its like every gay guy sueing judy garland because she sings there song . some where over the rainbow .
this guys need to tap his heels together 3 times and see what happens . get a life .

Oscar in Miami Beach

Who cares?.I hate the show.Is one of the most boring things I hav ever tune to.I saw the first when they crash and it was like BORING,BORING...I so glad is going out.Maybe something a little more interesting will take its place but I have no great hopes for that.

Mullins

why did it take so long- I guess he was lost