Man Claims His Beat Nicked by Pharrell

7/16/2009 1:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

PharrellEver heard of the band Geggy Tah? We hadn't either until one of its band members just accused Pharrell of some serious musical thievery.

In a federal lawsuit filed this week, Thomas Jordan claims the Pharrell produced track "All I Wanna Do (Feel Like Me)" is a total rip-off of the Geggy's '96 tune "Whoever You Are."

The suit alleges Pharrell produced "Feel" for the rap group The Clipse -- made up of Malice and Pusha T -- back in '97 ... but the song wasn't released until 2007.

Check out the two songs -- "Whoever You Are" and "Feel Like Me" -- and judge for yourself.

one mike

This story is listed third on the page and still there are no comments? First anyone?

The Dude

It could be coincidence but I doubt it. Stuff like this is what copyright and intellectual property laws should be going after.

glamh8er

Well, anyone who listens to The Clipse' track for 2 seconds can tell that it's sampled! Loox like someone has some Vanilla Ice up thier sleeve!

Tye Tanikk

Sounds like the same chord progression and the same rythm set to those chords. BUSTED

snh

There's a huge mistake in the article. The Clipse song is off their album "Exclusive Audio Footage," which was recorded in 1996-1997 and shelved after their first single was bombed. So saying it "wasn't released until 2007," which makes Pharrell sound like a biter, is wrong.

snh

I meant to just say "bombed," not "was a bombed." My bad.

JenT

All I wanna do is to thank you, even though I don't know who you are. You let me change lanes while I was driving in my car.

Music4Teens.com

Another slime bag crawling out of the wood works.

GT Fan

Geggy Tah rocks!

Tommy & Greg, use this to spring back on the scene - the world needs original, cool-ass music like you guys make!!!

;-)

lex

sure it sounds similar..

but did he eeven release this on a retail album??

it doesnt seem like it.. it was released on a mixtape which is a free cd anyway..

so i dont see whats the point of suing.??

Rampage

Geggy Tah Sux. They sound like those Free Credit Report.com jagoffs. Pharrell's version is a jack but sounds way, way better because Pharrell is way, way more talented. Pharrell, give those jagoffs a pound of sticky icky and call it a day.

marie crescent

hell YEH pharrell jacked it. no question. give them something, buddy. there's plenty of us out there who know who Greggy Tah are and what their sound was.

eb

Pharell's song is a RIP OFF!! Time to pay up. I remember the song Whoever You are, I believe it was used in a commercial for something, backn in the day.

anzee11

Pharrell claims he doesn't sample and tries to stay away from it. Clearly he sampled that!

Larry

That's what the laws are there for. To TMZ...So what if not many people have heard of them. Does that make it any less of a crime? But, I bet somewhere along the line of time, he heard their song somewhere, and forgot about it, and then thought he made it up on his own. It has happened before and is not blatant thievery, just a mistake. With as much music as producers hear, it is bound to happen sooner o rlater. Geoprge Harrison got sued for My Sweet Lord, and lost, but it was ruled that he didn't do it on purpose... unlike 90's band Elastika who stole Wires 80's brit pop hit and passed it off as their own.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments