« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chargers Star -- Tila Tequila Was Drunk

9/7/2009 10:12 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

San Diego Chargers superstar Shawne Merriman is finally speaking about the incident that got him arrested yesterday, telling FoxSports.com that his girlfriend Tila Tequila was drunk and he was only trying to keep her safe.

"On September 6, 2009 the San Diego Sheriff's Department responded to a citizen's complaint that was initiated by Tila Nguyen (aka Tila Tequila). I was taken into custody based upon that complaint. At the time, I was concerned about her welfare given the intoxicated state she appeared to be in and I encouraged her to stay until safe transportation could be provided.

"We would all do our best to help a friend if we considered their actions to be detrimental to their personal safety. I in no way caused any harm to Ms. Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported. She was released and has since returned to Los Angeles, California.

"There have been no charges filed against me. I want to thank the San Diego Sheriff's Department for their professionalism. I will continue to cooperate fully with the Department, and I look forward to clearing my name regarding these false allegations. I want to put this behind me so I can continue to focus on a successful season for the San Diego Chargers."

UPDATE: Tila has Twittered a response to Shawne's allegations -- saying there's no way she could have been drunk because, "I am allergic to alcohol. It has been publicly known for years. That is how I got the name Tila "Tequila" cuz the irony. I cant drink"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

JulezSD

I knew it First! B*tches!

Donna

Ok, who is this Tila woman? she looks skanky.

donta

she a ho she been seen showing her tits on ustream behiend hes back..he can do much better but she do hae great big tits!

HasBeens

I agree. Tila is a skank and a ho. I wouldn't even call her my GF if I were him. Every man and woman on this planet (and probably others, if possible) could have a piece of her if they wanted. She's a famewhore who will do anything for attention. He really should dump her before she damages his career. Yeah, in this case I guess I am guilty of being a hater, cuz I hate HER!

.:Loki 4Ever:.

Wasn't she pregnant at one time?? i'm confused!

OhYahYah

Hmm...she always says she is allergic to liquor.

terryeo

I am more inclined to believe Merriman now because his statement is so classy, whereas Tila is just a drunk skank.

InDisBelief

I really wish the media would stop calling her his girlfriend. They were never a couple...trust me I know!!!

JimmyD

Hey #8, Shawn didn't write that, his ATTORNEY WROTE THAT!!
I can't believe he would hang aroung a "woman" like this. Time to grow up Shawn and start hanging with respectable women with a little class. I don't believe you and your story of just trying to prevent her from driving drunk!!
Time for angry management classes!!!!!

eastcoast

no balls.......where's balls?

MJ

Tila has a big mouth to start with. She thinks she is all that and a bag of chips. On her Twitter she talks about her drinking all the time and how it goes late into the night. Johnny Walker Black.

She probably wanted to drive, he said no and she got all attitude with him.

She's trash anyways...10 years she will be on the "where are they now" pictorial.

Dirty Martini

Her name is Tila Tequila.

The defense rests, your honor.

andie

Yeah right she's allergic to alcohal but shes drank it on her show. The things she does for attention are nuts. She was dating a woman last month, pregnant the month before that. Tila is a trainwreck. Even if he did choke her it was probably to shut up that scathingly whiny voice of hers. GO back to the myspace community, cause thats the only place you are loved. In ten years you will be dead from your life choices, no matter how much you've over come, you can't quit. Just say NO Tila, just say NO

Don

Tila is a 3 foot tall skank, people like her make me sick. I'll believe Merriman any day over that Ho Tila.

tex

if she doesn't drink (surrrrre) then it must have been the crack she smoked....crazy loser chick. The ick factor that he would even party with her is very high.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments