Ellen: I'm the New Judge on 'American Idol'

9/9/2009 9:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paula Abdul's vacant seat at the judges table on "American Idol" has officially been filled ... by Ellen DeGeneres.

Ellen announced the big news during a taping of her talk show today, saying "I have a big announcement to make. No one knows this ... I am going to be the new judge on 'American Idol.'"

YES I LUV U ELLEN THAT WOULD BEE COOL "

Christy

This is a joke, right? What does she know about the music business? She's a talk show host/comedian. We'll see if it's true. I don't watch SYTYCD but she'd be much better off replacing that lunatic woman judge on that show. She needs to be locked up in a psych ward. Paula on the other hand needs to be involuntarily placed in a rehab facility. She's obvious got issues. Oh well, with Ellen it would at least be more funny.

Stella Nixx

Alright Ellen .. congratulations !

Whatever

Ellen doesn't know anything about judging music or music ingeneral. This should be good. YIKES!!!

Love me some TMZ

gross

Yolanda Nixon

This is good news. A great replacement for a not so great judge.

cyndi

I LOVE YOU ELLEN!
How will you find the time?

Lisa in Tennessee

I like Ellen and think she is really funny and all but I hope its not a bit too much exposure. Its kind of like Rachel Ray, she is great in limited doses. Overexposure can make the greatest stars be annoying after a while.

b-rad

I respect the opinion of anyone who has had the oppotunity to yodel into Portia DeRossi's canyon.

Robin

Don't get me wrong, I love Ellen, but what does she know about music? It doesn't make sense. She's not in the music biz, she's a comedian!? We will just have to wait and see what happens.

meme

Awesome!! Ellen rocks.

Pierce Aero

Wow. She's the only one "Nice" enough to take Paula's place. Sort of a Smooth Move, it it is true.

Kim

How UTTERLY ridiculous. Surely this is a joke.

miss krys

I think that it'll be great having someone on who is not a singer nor a performer. I mean she does comedy and is a host but it would be like one of us (a home viewer) getting in there and having a voice. I don't know if I'm explaining it the way I'm thinking but I hope you all get what I'm trying to say.

In a nut shell her judging won't be based on musical background or the music industry or whatever "look" or "physical appearance" AI is shooting for, it will just be for overall performance and talent. I like that.

MissThing

FLAWLESS !!!!!!! AWESOME...... FU PAULA !!!!